Preparing for Alien Contact?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Perhaps UFOs and Aliens are just the popular thing these days. I mean there are several shows in the US discussing the topic. Is it similar overseas? There are even more discussions about sincere groups investigating, like NASA and MUFON, which have been around awhile. I realize many of the shows tap into local interest groups, or even wanna-be Hollywood stars. But there are, and have been, some serious discussions among very credible groups and people.

Lately, I've noticed what seems to be a trend that either has roots in some truth, or larger organizations are just trying to adapt to the times. For example, a panel of NASA scientist scientists recently suggested new advances in technology will enable them to see much clearer into planetary gases, which may indicate life, thereby suggesting we may find alien life within 20 years (NASA). Just the other day, the Vatican said they are preparing a statement in the event alien life is discovered (Vatican)

So, is this all hype? Is there more to it than meets the eye? Is the world slowly preparing for the inevitable? Has the time come to finally expose the truth? Are we ready for it? All these questions and more.

I'm just wondering if we've finally reached a point in human development that requires us to be exposed. I mean, if you consider the nature of politics, human endeavors and what's left for us to "conquer" on earth, have we finally run out of options? I suspect the world has become a repeating drum of countries raping resources, people, ideas and other countries to the point that some have realized we are going nowhere in our current progress. While we all hope for world peace, limitless energy and resources, and goodwill toward each other, the world has become a haven for quite the opposite and there really is no solution to solve this.

Are we currently seeing evidence of this "greasing of the skids" by reputable people, governments, and agencies to finally release the truth? Or, is it just that I'm seeing this through the hyper-sensational views from US media?

Discuss...

I'm sure there are many who will suggest there is a massive conspiracy by lizard people or some other wild conspiracy, but I'd rather keep this discussion grounded to realistic, intelligent ideas. I'm not trying to lure the extreme fringe...unless you have some pretty solid evidence based on facts - not hearsay.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

I don't really think much has changed as far as UFO's and aliens. I remember 50 years ago when my parents were studiously going over ever report that made the news or mags. Nothing has changed from what I've seen. Still no aliens.

While tech has gotten better we're still no closer.. or so it seems anyway. I still hope we find something and in fact believe eventually we will.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In my opinion there is no 'truth' that we are being prepared to be exposed to.

However, much of what you say in your OP rings true; us reaching our limits, nothing left to 'conquer', etc. I believe that humanity is becoming restless. Just as people would locked in a room growing more and more crowded.

We want out. We need out.

This "greasing of the skids" you speak of, I think, is a creation of hope for something more. It keeps people sane/distracted from the locked room we are in. Puts our minds elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I've been here almost 4 years.. There have been so many threads about 'preparing' for contact. It's not happening.

So many threads on what's 'about' to happen but nothing ever does.

I thought by now that the stock market would have crashed, world war 3 would have been in full swing, the world was on the verge of the end, solar blasts would have destroyed 1/3 of the population, and we would have been conditioned enough to meet at least one grey on Skype or something. But nope, nothing.

The only thing in full effect is the lies our politicians tell us and that's SUPPOSED to happen... right?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Although the talk of "slow disclosure" has been around since Spielberg did "Close Encounters" and "ET", I think that it just cant be held back anymore. Life exists off of our little blue dot. It doesnt matter if we know it is sentient or just microbial...if it wasnt from here...all possibilities are open.

The reason why it has been held back?

As a kid I remember the Carter administration trying to get the US to at least start learning the metric system that the rest of the world uses...

They gave up when hillbillies shot the signs that gave distances in kilometers as well as miles...continuously.

If you were to disclose even microbial life, all of those same mindsets would be aiming high powered rifles up at any blinking lights in the sky.

Oh, and Jeebus.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i know its a bit of a cliche but people want to believe.

I really think is as much as about unexplained experiences as it is a yearning for something bigger, something more experienced to show up and sort our problems as humans out for us.

A shocking revelation that another being from another world turns up, they wouldnt even have to do anything, simply exist, would solve more than a few arguments about the universe.

EDIT: provided that alien life exists also would prove that the universe isnt an elaborate visual maze of trickery, smoke and mirrors.

edit on b26261106 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

I don't really think much has changed as far as UFO's and aliens. I remember 50 years ago when my parents were studiously going over ever report that made the news or mags. Nothing has changed from what I've seen. Still no aliens.

While tech has gotten better we're still no closer.. or so it seems anyway. I still hope we find something and in fact believe eventually we will.

You completely overlook the fact that all science is finally catching up to us sci-fi nuts that believe in UFOs. As science releases its latest findings almost weekly about the increasing possibilities of life out there, so the actual inevitability and reality of the UFOs come closer every day, While science still refuses to make the obvious connection, the minds of the masses are doing the math on that connection all of the time.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

While science still refuses to make the obvious connection, the minds of the masses are doing the math on that connection all of the time.

No disagreements there. I believe simply based on statistical probability there is a lot of alien life just in this galaxy. That said we still have no real proof regardless of how bad we wish it to be so. Not to forget the size of just our galaxy could simply mean we will not encounter aliens for a long long time. Regardless of where we are civilization wise or what we wish to happen.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I think we are being prepped in a reverse psychology sort of way.

The #1 question relating to life in the universe is how would that knowledge impact society in Earth. There, imo, is no possible way one could predict how we would react.

The next best thing is long term acceptance. With the uptick in media taking this topic seriously, the governments constant denial of knowing anything about ET, the advances we are making technology wise, religion discussing and accepting ET is out there is the proverbial match to the fuse.

What we see now are people not believing the government on this topic. Eventually, and we are seeing it now, citizens will start to demand information be released.

The answer to the question of how we would react is the people demanding the governments come clean. Once that hits critical mass, it could be safe to assume that we are ready for ET contact for the governments perspective.

Going back to the 1940's to the present you can see a pattern in the evolution of ET presentation and acceptance, especially in movies and TV. As years went by we went from the classic ET is evil, to the Apollo moon missions and what occurred during them, to star trek, starwars, V, the move Contact, the X files, the massive uptick in planet detection to the point of actually knowing an extra solar planet has a moon, the Mars missions, Space shuttle, ISS, more and more countries launching satellites and probes, etc etc etc.

Once the religious groups, like the Vatican, got involved in the ET discussion it, imo, represented one of the top issues of the question of how contact would affect us. The religion question has always been the most difficult part of the answer because of the possibility the existence of ET would contradict religious doctrine.

The Catholic Church was able to defend doctrine while at the same time breaking it. They did this by pointing out the Bible and its teachings only applied to Earth. It would not be a contradiction to doctrine because God made humans / animals / life on this planet, so its entirely likely he did the same on other planets as well.

To clarify I know people are not religious and are not catholic. With that said the major religions have millions of followers so the religion angle is critical, even though it does not apply to everyone.

* - The Government accepts the possibility of life in the universe.
* - The world religions accept the possibility of life in the universe.
* - The scientists accept the possibility of life in the universe.

You have the big 3 who are now on the same page, so to speak.

The inevitable answer will come next.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." .

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." .

- Arthur C. Clarke

A perfect quote, from a great man.

and as usual, spot on. Just because Arthur wrote some fantastical scifi doesnt mean he didnt know about our existence in general.

+1

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Nobody seems to ask the question of who prepares the preparers? Those who we imagine to hold the secrets of UFO reports would be as human in their weaknesses as any of us. They'd be as open to misinterpretation as anyone else and as likely to interpret *contact* through the lens of their own prejudices.

For example, Nick Redfern met a group of government employees who believed UFOs were demons here to harvest souls. According to their narrative, the Collins Elite have been in existence since the late 1940s and see UFOs as evil entities. If there are, or were, other groups in government with similar views, contact scenarios would not be carried out in the way we imagine. How many politicians and military men subscribe to the Biblical stories of Armageddon, exceptionalism under God and the ultimate fate of humanity? If such people did find a sense of certainty (proof even?) of life elsewhere back in the halcyon days of 40s/50s UFO sightings, would they even want to tell the world?

Other, more familiar, contexts might involve the sense of fear that was expressed by Ronald Reagan in the 1980s. In that view, an introduction to intelligent life from elsewhere would involve red alerts and a call to arms in readiness. The major religions have side-stepped or added caveats that ensure they'll continue to perpetuate whatever kind of critters arrive in our neighbourhood.

We should also consider how many people would be willing to open the doors to visitors without any sense of caution?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that contact might be unpredictable when left in the hands of humans.

Are we being prepared? I don't think so. What we are seeing is personal beliefs and religious institutions catching up with science. The consciousness of humanity used to be limited to our solar system and whatever afterlife appealed to us. It slowly expanded to other galaxies and can now consider both time and space. It's therefore inevitable that folk will start to really think about the day when we wake up to news stories of life out there. I think that a bloody big starship parking up in local space would be too much of a change and we'll never know till it happens...if it ever does.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Personally, I think we get a lot closer every year to discovering life and eventually civilizations outside our solar system. Even scientists and theologians who don't accept the reality of ongoing alien visitation see that our scientific instruments are likely to eventually find life out there, so of course they are already working the spin to minimize the impact of those discoveries on those that follow their established or propagated world views.

As far as Science Fiction and the depiction of Aliens, I think most of it is entirely about entertainment value and making money of people's interest and fascination in "life out there". However, I do also think it would make perfect sense for governments and powers that know we are being visited to deliberately influence the production of Science Fiction depictions of Aliens in media in a way congruent with their agenda.

I think most of us will be a lot less frightened by an encounter with aliens today than half a century ago, because of the way depictions of aliens have saturated our media. Whether an earthly power wants to prepare us to make peace with aliens or make war with them, not being terrified of them is a good first step.

It may be good that so many possible alien agendas are represented in media, because there is potential for a very wide range of scenarios surrounding the first publicly witnessed and officially acknowledged "first contact" event for humanity.

We hope they come in peace, but they could come for war, or even just to assimilate us the same way more advanced cultures have assimilated weaker or less advanced ones throughout the course of human history on Earth. It's even possible that the greatest weapon in their arsenal of assimilation could be the export of their culture via really compelling ET produced media and consumer products that make the latest iPhone look like a clay tablet in comparison...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Totemic

Yeah, science fiction has covered a lot of ground over the possibilities. As people, we sometimes over-extend to certainties from informed speculation.

We have Kaku/Kardeshev speculating about Type 0/1/2/3 civilisations and how the higher cultures would be above religion and war. Maybe that's the case and it seems reasonable enough. On the other hand, what if a civilisation was corrupt or totalitarian? What if it was going through a phase of religious persecution? What if they were missionaries that came to kill or convert unbelievers? What if they had a system of society that was abhorrent to us?

Prime directives are a beautiful concept, but how practical?

Most people would probably admit to liking the idea of first contact with friendly aliens and especially if they were similar to us. Star Wars good guys would be top of anyone's list and yet our own world is evidence that we have the good as well as the bad.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The one thought I always have when I contemplate full disclosure- I.E, an alien landing- is: how will we know if it's real or not? What with all the advances in cgi, holograms and all that jazz, unless I saw someone throw a rock at it and see it bounce off (public relations disaster, anyone?), or it personally gave me a hug, the skeptic in me would never be fully convinced.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I've noticed one thing about these sort of posts on ATS and scientists looking for more grant money, they always seem to say either 'Its just around the corner', 'In the next ten/twenty years' or and the one that makes me laugh the most 'Its just a matter of time'.

It always seems to be soon, coming up or not long off, its about time we either show the proof or shut up about it. This goes the same for end of the worlds etc. Its a boring subject and seems to be littering ATS and is pointless.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

These discussions always go off track (are lead off track?) by arguing from a strictly, current, human viewpoint on everything from what smart creatures we think we are to a self-imposed limit on how much a superior intelligence can understand the whole package of our entire being. My personal view is to allow the ETs--a dismissive and narrow descriptive title we humans all use--to have an encyclopedic knowledge and understanding about every aspect of our existence, our past, present and predictable future. Few humans can allow that appraisal of the potential power and worth of the ETs because it automatically begins to equate them with our old concepts (and connections) with God. Couple that with the instant realization that surely we are low on the totem pole for true consciousness in the Universe and you have every reason for our superiors both on this planet and in the sky to tread softly in ushering us into a totally new reality for the human race. I have no doubt, BTW, but what our local superiors would rather that the UFOs would just go away and let them attend to business (various kinds of inhumanities) as usual.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
What if TPTB have already made contact and our extra solar siblings need to be prepped for us?
Just a thought

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

My advice is to watch the media. They will prepare the people beforehand through the media - not just with abduction documentaries etc but with something that is more obviously a game changer...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The only time I can think of which seemed like open contact would have happened was during the massive UFO flap of 1952 and nothing happened then.

There have been good incidents afterward, but nothing massive enough to make me think its anything other than the usual with UFO sightings.

Whatever is piloting them is quite content on doing what they're doing. I think they really are only concerned with whatever new deadly terror we create like hydrogen bombs. Not outward contact.

I haven't noticed our governments giving any other indication either. They too are quite content on keeping us in the dark.
edit on 26-7-2014 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It is quite funny how the Vatican supposedly want to claim the existence of another form of life that sentient, when the average follower, would probably have no clue what an Alien is, or probably thought it was fantasy. Don't know if Aliens are a common believe they share, but then again they do practices that aren't even related to the Bible they cling to, that are of Babylonian origin.

Nasa, I can understand, considering Nasa is all about space. Nasa get amazed by microscopic, and finding a Sentient life form would be historically ground breaking.

As for Top Secret organizations, they could know very well whats up there(although I doubt it) or maybe they know nothing at all, and want to keep knowledge or information in their hands.

Usually, the best trick to secrecy is you don't know "ANYTHING".

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join