It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Chariot-4’S Merkava Tank Windbreaker Armor 100% Efffective Against All Hamas Ordinance: Wa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is cool...does the US have this system? Actually this old news but I have never seen this.

The Trophy active protection system creates a hemispheric protected zone around the vehicle where incoming threats are intercepted and defeated. It has three elements providing -- Threat Detection and Tracking, Launching and Intercept functions. The Threat Detection and Warning subsystem consists of several sensors, including flat-panel radars, placed at strategic locations around the protected vehicle, to provide full hemispherical coverage. Once an incoming threat is detected identified and verified, the Countermeasure Assembly is opened, the countermeasure device is positioned in the direction where it can effectively intercept the threat. Then, it is launched automatically into a ballistic trajectory to intercept the incoming threat at a relatively long distance.

shoebat.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does "ordinance" mean when used in this context?

Watching the video, it reminds me of the PALADIN tank from the game Command & Conquer: Generals. It used a sort of short-range laser to take out any incoming RPGs or missiles.
edit on 25-7-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does "ordinance" mean when used in this context?

Watching the video, it reminds me of the PALADIN tank from the game Command & Conquer: Generals. It used a sort of short-range laser to take out any incoming RPGs or missiles.

Ordinance means the weapons being fired at you.

The Paladin tank comparison is pretty spot-on. It's what I thought of, too.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

From the video, it looks like they mean RPG's. That's the biggest threat at the moment. But how do they handle IED's made from shaped charges that would cut their way through the tank from underground?

What if there are multiple RPG's fired?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Have a look for YouTube videos on MTHEL systems. That's cool.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

Have a look for YouTube videos on MTHEL systems. That's cool.

What would happen if you stood in front of it?

I bet that thing would cook a TV dinner to a crisp in 3 seconds flat. I imagine it would dim every light in the neighborhood too.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Excellent system, this or something similar is likely already being used in some VIP limo's.
I would class this as a stage one standof defence system but would still want Chobham or the American version of Chobham armor (The difference is the US Version based on Chobham incorporated depleted uranium and may be linked to some leukemia in former US personel) on a heavy tank as third stage armor and Electron Discharge armor for active impact protection.

The electron charge armor is similar to the Ruskies explosive tiles but it work's like this, on the oustide are light armor tile's that can deflect normal ordnance such as bullets but that is only the external layer and beneath is a Capacitive layer that is charged to a very high potential sandwiched on top of another layer of insulating armor, this can form multiple layer's, now when a shaped charge detonates it create's a very high energy plasma and that is what eats into tank's but as this plasma breaks the insulation it is hit by a high voltage discharge which has the effect of blasting the plasma back outward and thus preventing further plasma penetration of the effected tile.

Couple these three system's together and the platform would be perhaps the most assault capable tank in history.

S+F
edit on 25-7-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

It'd kill you. That's all you need to know I guess.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So Hamas' anti-tank weaponry is as effective as their rockets fired into Israel?
Why am I not surprised.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

It's not 'ordinance', it's 'ordnance'. It means weapons and (particularly) ammunition.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

It's not 'ordinance', it's 'ordnance'. It means weapons and (particularly) ammunition.

Aha! Thank you! That makes much more sense now!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

It'd kill you. That's all you need to know I guess.

It was a rhetorical question. All I can imagine is just seeing somebody instantly burst into flames... which is probably not that far off from what would happen. It is a heat weapon, right?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It fires buckshot. The flames are from the missiles being destroyed.

Once the incoming weapon is fully classified, the computers calculate the optimal time and angle to fire the neutralizers. The response comes from two rotating launchers installed on the sides of the vehicle which fire neutralizing agents, usually small metal pellets like buckshot. The system is designed to have a very small kill zone

Trophy

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
But how do they handle IED's

for buried IEDs of the non shaped charge type if they are big enough you would need a mine plow on the lead tank.

Shaped charge type IEDs have a min and max standoff distance. the min is usually 1/2 of the charge diameter.

The max is around 3 times the charge diameter.

The best form of IED for beating a tank would be a large manhole cover with a large disk of high explosive buried about 3 to 4 feet underground.(platter charge)

A plow tank plow would pass over this

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

As the deployment of armored vehicle's in places such as Afghanistan gave the Terrorists time to perfect there IED technology's old style mine protection hull's or V shaped hull's was reintroduced to try to deflect the explosion away to either side of the vehicle for troop transport vehicle's but heavy low profile battle tanks will alway's be vulnerable to them especially in area's of high iron oxide rich soil that may hamper low earth magnetic detection systems.
It make me wonder if we may at some point see the introduction of new type heavy hover craft vehicles with non ferromagnetic ceremic and high temperature polymer hull's to avoid most of these problems but even they would still be vulnerable to manned detonation systems though it is possible to make them soundless using sound wave cancellation technology as used in the black chopper's (ie cattle biopsys or mutilations).
Good point you make there.

edit on 26-7-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Here's an easy way to defeat these tanks:

Dig pits 10 feet deep X size of tank square. It's a graveyard. And against multiple RPG's this tank will go down. It takes only a few guys with RPG's, who know what they're doing, to easily retire one of these. But it's still an awesome tank. Why the hell the Israelis have weapons like this and who pays for it is beyond me.

new topics

top topics

join