It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Solar Power Well Pump Recommendations?

page: 1

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:29 PM
Hey there my fellow ATS peeps!

I'm looking into replacing my normal AC powered well pump with a solar powered one.

My wellhead is somewhere between 110 to 120 feet deep. The current pump is 220 VAC of course, but I'm not 100% sure how strong it is. It may be 1/2 HP, it's putting out about 4 gallons per minute.

However it's also around 14 to 15 years old, so it's going to be needing replacement soon.

Why not go solar? It would certainly help reduce my power bill.

I'm looking for places that sell systems like this. I found this link here:

Rural Power Systems

Any other links that I should be looking at?

Also: Any tips, advice, etc would be very much welcomed.

I live here in the SE part of the US, where we get a LOT of sunshine, however I'll need a system that can either switch over to batteries or the grid during the night or on heavy overcast days.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:43 PM
a reply to: eriktheawful

Before batteries, I would suggest a small tank sized to provide two or three days of water, once the tank id full, top it up every day when the sun is out.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:29 PM
I am a water well driller that has installed many solar wells from initial drilling to final set up. I have had great luck with Grundfos brand solar setups, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the ones listed in your link.

Regardless of the brand you choose, these solar well pumps are really only designed to get water to the top of the ground and lack the ability to produce the pressure required by most submersible pump/pressure tank setups. If you want to fill a storage tank, they are a great option. If you want pressure to your faucets you are still going to need an ac booster pump. There are some solar booster/battery backup pumps available, but all of them I have seen are quite complicated and pretty expensive. If you are determined to have your water source all solar, it would probably be easiest to set up an elevated storage tank. Every 2.3ft of vertical pressure equals 1psi.

My personal opinion is that solar is a great replacement for a conventional windmill setup but not that practical for a residential system. If you are determined to do it, it's possible though. If you do it yourself, please be careful. This stuff gets heavier than it looks if you try to run it in the hole by hand. Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:00 AM
a reply to: eriktheawful

Hello, my name is Mike, I am with Rural Power Systems linked above. I noticed the traffic our store and thought I would chime in and see if you have any other questions.

If you want to run a pressurized system off of a solar well pump you have a few options.

1. Install a separate DC booster pump with battery backup and its own solar panel which pressurizes the bladder tank from a separate storage tank. The well pump fills the storage tank during the day, and the booster pump keeps water pressure throughout the day and night. The booster pump is much lower power and does not have to pump water from deep underground to maintain pressure. Therefore it does not require quite a large battery bank to make it through the night. Most people can get by with one gel cell for a 12V booster pump.

2. Add battery backup to one of our systems. We offer optional controllers with battery backup and battery charge controller for all of our systems. You will also want to add a bit more to the wattage of the solar panels, as they will have to operate and charge the system batteries during the daytime. Using the current rating of the pump and the estimated nightly run time, you can figure out the battery bank required to make it through the night.

You will also need to substrate 2.3 feet of pump capability for every 1 psi you want to pressurized the tank. For example with 120 head and 40 psi, you would need a system capable of pumping a minimum of 212 feet referred to as the "total dynamic head."

3. Use an AC to DC power converter to run off of main power during the night and feed into a controller with battery backup. The converters cost about $200 and you most likely would want to put a diode in series to prevent the controller from trying to charge the controller. This would be a very robust system and could pump rain or shine, night or day.

While you need to think ahead to plan out your system, once complete they are very capable and robust systems. They are modular in case you need to replace a specific component or add more capability in the future. I always recommend to purchase the basic system, set it up and try it for a few days. If you need more water, additional solar panels can be added with batteries for increased performance.

Please let me know if there are any other questions or anything else I can help with?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

As with anything involving where you live, some planning needs to take place and different ideas looked at.

Each of you that have replied so far have given me much food for thought and different plans to look at (I love having choices. The more, the better).

new topics