It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to throw a knife.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm pretty handy with a knife... My knife and only my knife...I say that because, there is no way I could pick a totally different shaped sized weighted, knife and have any hopes of hitting a target...without lots and lots of practice... So I stick to the 'One' I know

This K-Bar was given to me upon my sixteenth birthday and that beat-up old blade as been with me on most of my backcountry misadventures. Was beat-up when I got it and I've done my share to add to it's battle scares.

I should probably treat is better than I do, maybe not use it as a digging tool, or light duty ax, or improvised hammer... But I do, and probably always will... to me a knife is a good all purpose tool and not just something to look pretty hanging on your hip. If it can't do all those 100 and 1 little tasks than it's not any knife I want to spend my money on.

So let me start with rule one... if your in a knife fight with a man, you DO NOT THROW your knife... hey you've just disarmed yourself and it's game over. May look cool on TV but in real life you don't get a time out so you can try again.

Still there are reasons to learn to throw your knife--- hunting is top of that list for me... and it's not always about sticking the blade... If I'm hunting quail or rabbits I want to hit them with the handle, stun them... that way I don't waste meat... Larger game I'll go for a blade in throw and I'll admit once and only once---a million to one ,probably never happened again in my life time, throw... I did manage to take down an antelope with my K-Bar... of course that throw connecting, was as much as a surprise to me as it was to that old goat... but it shows you what can be done with a good knife.

Now I am going to give you a link to the Art of Manliness website in which a real professional will go over a how to...

But before I send you there I want to give you a few of my own self taught observations hints and tips.

My fist is buy yourself a good quality knife... and stick with it!
It's okay if it's not one of those high dollar perfectly balanced made for throwing knife's... What makes the real diff is learning "Your" knife. Getting used to it's feel and balance, how it feels in your hands, how you come to learn to know when you got that sweet spot...

That comes with practice, practice, practice...

the mistake a lot of folks make is in blaming the knife and buying other knifes and still more knives and never taking the time to learn...
Buy one you like and stick with it... everything else comes with time and practice... it's the effort you put into learning "Your" knife that makes it worthwhile.

Never Flick Your Wrist When Throwing
Just like throwing a baseball, you simply open your hand and let it go...

One last thing before I give you the link.
In this lesson Tom is going to talk about the different kinds of knives...Blade or handle heavy, balanced for throwing... he'll tell you to throw the weight... Meaning if it's blade heavy you hold it by the handle to throw the blade... all good tips to know... but the one thing I didn't see mentioned is... When you hold a knife to throw, blade or handle... the way you adjust the number of spins, is by how far up or down you hold the knife...

So when your first teaching yourself to throw... Be very aware of where your fingers are...and if it's not sticking...make your fine adjustments by placing your fingers higher or lower... don't let yourself get frustrated here... in time you'll learn the feel of the sweet spot and when you do... knife throwing becomes fun fun fun!

Okay, here's the link

and a vid...

And before you say, waste of time, can't be done... Well go talk to this little lady about just what can be done with a knife

edit on 25-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Nice thread...

my husband and I are learning knife-throwing. We bought several different sets that run from 6-inch (total length) to 12-inch. Hibbens and other brands.

For Christmas I got him 3 really high-quality forged blades from a local blade-maker I've known for years - (upwards of $200 for 3), and while he's very into 'form', I'm more into 'function.' We watch each other throw, and as often as not, mine stick while his bounce. Then we discuss how we each "approached" the project. (Mine is just instinctive judgment of how hard and how far away, whether blade throw or handle throw, and a very important component for me - be "angry" and determined.)

We've gone through a 2-by target (reduced to splinters as we learned and practiced, practiced, practiced), and had to build another one. It's relaxing, fun, and since I've always enjoyed 'target shooting' (whether with small airsoft pistols, darts, archery, basketball, frisbee...whatever) and found I had an innate talent at it.

My suggestion was that we set up several targets on the trees in the yard, and compete in throwing using different sized blades - but yes, practicing with one particular size/weight/balance (using 3 of the same and a "round" being getting all three stuck in the target before your turn is over) was a great start. He wants to move on to axes/hatchets, but we've got a long way to go - just started last year.

Thanks for the thread, s/f - I'll show him the vid when he gets home!!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
FYI.. if you have pretty knife and want to keep it that way...

Go to Wal-Mart and in the sporting goods section they sell those form-board archery targets...

get one of those--- as their soft ---wont snap off a tip or mar the finish... Hay bails have a remarkable bounce to them.. I've had bad throws send my knife right back a me ...

Try telling your husband to not think about the throw but the way knife feels in is hand as he Throws...

ETA
If he gets frustrated, try tickling him... Once you let yourself get all stressed out your done... keep it fun and relaxing...it shouldn't be a chore or forced .

edit on 25-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

\i used to dabble in throwing knives and I offer my advice on hunting with them...don't hunt anything with throwing knives...you'll throw one in some wild boar and itll run to other end of the forest with your knife....so unless you dont mind risking losing it...id choose a different hunting tool!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Try telling your husband to not think about the throw but the way knife feels in is hand as he Throws...

ETA
If he gets frustrated, try tickling him... Once you let yourself get all stressed out your done... keep it fun and relaxing...it shouldn't be a chore or forced .

I have told him not to think about the throw so much - but he says, "DON'T critique me!" when he gets frustrated.
So I silently await my turn and then do my thing, letting my results speak for themselves. LOL!!

Tickle him? He's not ticklish. Nice suggestion, though. I'd have to make sure the knives weren't within reach, or worse in his hand.

Last autumn he threw a 6-incher and because his hands are quite big, when he was extracting it from the target he severed the tendon or ligament (or whatever) in his pinkie, and had to have surgery to repair it. It STILL doesn't straighten out correctly!!

edit on 7/25/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
my husband and I are learning knife-throwing.

Do you flip to see who gets to hold the balloon in their teeth first?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We're not that good yet, but we do have a friend who does excellently with a human at the target...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That's pretty amazing you took down an Antelope with a knife, how close where you to him?

Being from Montana / Wyoming area I have hunted many Antelope but they are fairly hard to get close to and shots are generally a couple hundred yards to maybe 400 yards where I hunted.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread HardCorps
Very interesting information.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I wanted to learn to throw knives, not to hunt but for fun....ok and because it looks so damn cool

3 weeks now of about 20 min to an hr per day. Im sticking throwing knives, butter knives & screwdrivers at 24' now.

Biggest words of advice for starting out I can offer is:

Mark out 7', 11', 15' 18' & 24' on the ground in front of your target. Start with 7' blade throw (throw holding blade), 11' handle throw (holding handle etc), 15' blade again....etc.

Strong foot back and keep your elbow up almost pointing where you want to hit.....then fine tune your distance until you find your throws are consistent.
This is how I learned to start and I feel it helped me, maybe not everyone but its a good starting place I think.

ETA after watching the video, I disagree with the wimpy azz way to throw statement in the op's video, I had to lash down my target with extra ropes on the back as I could not pull the knives out easily. I think throwing so the flat of the blade goes against the the direction of the throw would cause too much wind resistance to be accurate on distance throws...but I guess its how you learn and what style suits you.

edit on 25-7-2014 by criticalmindseed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Very good post I use the 7 ft - 24 foot method when I learned to throw.

If you are looking for a good indestructible knife check out the sting from crkt. Pretty good knife that I'm carrying now.

Again great post.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Is it possible to throw a knife with enough force but without spin..? I mean, if you throw a knife with spin there are Always moments the target is not hit proper. Moving targets will become even more difficult to hit.

thx
great thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Mr Wigs (he's very 'manly', btw) says that's called a "spear throw". From one of his books about it:

Sergeant Shenk's Comprehensive Book on Knife Throwing

Click to enlarge!

edit on 7/26/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
That's pretty amazing you took down an Antelope with a knife, how close where you to him?

Being from Montana / Wyoming area I have hunted many Antelope but they are fairly hard to get close to and shots are generally a couple hundred yards to maybe 400 yards where I hunted.

Less that a dozen feet away...
We were fishing on the Green river just outside of Granger...
anyway that goat just pops out of the bushes almost on top me, coming in to get a drink...

Like I said it was a lucky throw and done more out of reflex then thought... Man you should have seen him jump.

to the naysayers ... let me point out a knife blade is a whole heck of lot bigger than an arrow head... that and if you use a hunting knife with a blood grove--- either way the real fun for me is in the stalking trying to get up close, even if it's just to slap a doe on her rump.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
throwing knives can be fun but never in a survival setting unless u have no other choice a knife with ability to be tied to a stick yo make a spear would be better to hunt with. i have broken many a knife over the years always make sure the knife has what is called full tang which means the knife blade and handle are one piece of metal otherwise you risk breaking off handle/

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
of all the knives I have thrown, a k-bar thrown underhand is still my favourite and most satisfying S&F from a fellow K-Bar-er

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I've never been very good at throwing knives. I used to think ninjas went around throwing knives, so I tried to practice. Well, let's just say I'm far too accident prone for that.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: okamitengu
of all the knives I have thrown, a k-bar thrown underhand is still my favourite and most satisfying S&F from a fellow K-Bar-er

High fives back...
Will add too...
the K-Bar has enough weight to it--- then even if the blade doesn't stick--- your sure to stun ...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You do not need to know how to throw a knife when you can get a gun that shoots knives!

P.S. but thank you for the info, i hope ill never have to throw knives at people.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Heruactic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
Is it possible to throw a knife with enough force but without spin..? I mean, if you throw a knife with spin there are Always moments the target is not hit proper. Moving targets will become even more difficult to hit.

yes there is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join