It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To shoot or not to shoot? One California homeowners fate is being decided.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Shooting people running away in the back running down an alley is not godamn self defence..jeeeesuz christ wtf is wrong with some of you..sttttaaaay the fawk away from me.
If he is under attack fire at will..he wasnt
Some of you make my stomache turn.
edit on 25-7-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The Police officers that I know always say that if you are going to shoot someone in your home breaking in.......make sure you do it on your property, ideally inside the home...and make sure you kill them.

Honest. That's what they have told me.

The Man was justified in shooting in the house......not when they were fleeing on public property. Too Bad he was a bad shot.

"But my kids would never do something like that". I can't wait to hear that with the inevitable lawsuit from the "great" parents of the two alleged criminals.

link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
Survival is the key element to this case…imo
I’m a couple decades younger than the gentleman…and if I was beset, accosted, terrorized and abused, as he…the adrenaline would be in turbo-mode, until I could see the dust entirely settled.

“I’m pregnant” should have no bearing, whatsoever, on this case…as they didn’t appear to care about “I’m old”.

Should he be charged…for chasing them and shooting them – whether in the back or otherwise?
Again – Survival is the key.
It was No Different than a war-time setting…
If engaged in battle, and the enemy turns to retreat – do you light up a smoke, and pop a top?
Not if you can still see them.
You almost always send scouts to, at least, ensure that “they really left”…because turning one’s back, and running is sometimes a ploy/tactic.

Could he have chosen a better course of action? I really don’t know. When someone has been burglarized (read – terrorized) on account of a handicap (in this case – whatever frailty and feebleness resulting from his 80 years)…it does not take much further agitation to move one from reasonable, rational and even compassionate –to– penned & prodded rodeo bull.

If some punks had done this to my father, at 80 years of age, I don’t think he would have survived the encounter…

link   
Lesson learned, lock your doors and windows before you hunt down the vermin who have infested your home.
That and be more accurate.
IMHO, too bad he did not get them both, they showed zero humanity as they beat him in his own home, they would do this to others as well.
Just a surgeon removing some cancer is all I see.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It's time for people to accept responsibility for their criminal actions.

Yes it is, also for this old man for MURDER.
Shooting someone while they are begging for their life is PRECISELY that.
And he appears to be PROUD of himself...
edit on 25-7-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I wonder if the perps left with his stuff. Some states allow use of force to stop a person fleeing with property. Doesn't sound California-ish though.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LionOfGOD

Maybe he was an ex-cop. They do it often without punishment.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Domo1

Yeah what's the saying...first shot is to kill, second is to warn.

Gotta love Texas women...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Let's change the circumstances a just a little.

Suppose the couple had broken into a police station and beat the desk sergeant. Then suppose the desk sergeant had responded the same way the old man did. Would the DA even consider charges? My guess is the desk sergeant would get a medal.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
and just because someone doesnt like the concept of shooting people in the back it in no way supports the 2 perps in the original crime..they are scum.
edit on 25-7-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil
had he shot them in the home,he'd be ok.Chasing them out into an alley and firing,and then finishing her off,nope!Think about the laws first.If a drunk driver kills a pregnant woman,in AZ he'd get 2 manslaughter/murder charges.And then he's in an alley,firing away in a neighborhood? Stray shots hitting homes? Sorry,this guy is gonna hang!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
You never shoot to injure

I'm suspicious of "never" and "always".
I think there are definitely times when it would be appropriate to shoot to injure, if you know what you're doing. If I hit something vital (which, frankly, I probably wouldn't) that's tough luck.

I did neglect to say that if I brought the gun back onto the scene, I would shout, "Freeze! I've got a gun" before I shot.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Strange the article I read about this last night mentioned nothing of a beating, just that he got pushed to the ground when the 2 tried to make there way out.
I think shooting some one in the back is cowardly and never ok. I do agree he had the right, up until they were fleeing and he was no longer in danger.
The article I read is on rawstory.com and quotes him telling a different story about the assault.
Those 2 still committed heinous crimes and deserved punishment, but getting killed while fleeing was not the one the woman deserved.
And sorry on my phone and can't seem to get to that link on here with it

edit on thFri, 25 Jul 2014 11:49:03 -0500America/Chicago720140380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD

It's time for people to accept responsibility for their criminal actions.

Yes it is, also for this old man for MURDER.
Shooting someone in the BACK while they are FLEEING is PRECISELY that.
And he appears to be PROUD of himself...

There are acceptable risks in life that could result in death that people take everyday. Policemen and walk out the door everyday knowing it might be the last. Skydivers take the risk every time they jump, drivers, motorcycle riders, etc. etc. None of these are even illegal. But commit a crime, hurt someone in the process and running away gets you a free ticket to safety? BS they got what they deserve, they decided to break in to steal and harm without conscience. The only one that you be upset over this is some attorney that missed out on legal fees.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

So in your mind all breaking and entering crimes involving assault deserve the death penalty? ?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Yes.

He was justified.

I've seen armed cops do much more for much less. If the boys in blue think it's justified to chase and shoot people fleeing the scene of a vicious attack and robbery, then so should this guy expect to feel justified.

They could have killed him, and for all he knew they were going to come back and finish him off.

Bottom line for me is they were in his home robbing it.

The attacked a frail and very old man, seriously injuring him and probably cutting short his life through extreme stress and the injuries.

The didn't give a damn he was injured and continued to assault him, any one of the blows they gave could have murdered him.

One of them, won't be back to do it again.

If i were in the US and had a defensive weapon, i'd damn well use it in a situation like that without a shadow of a doubt.

edit on 25-7-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

"The lady didn't run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice," Greer told the TV station. "She's dead ... but he got away."

Yeah, don't do that. At that point it's murder. A reasonable person is going to realize that when people are running away from you they are no longer a threat.

Unless they're running from the back and might circle back around the front to have another go at finishing you off.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So you would be ok if say one of your family members was hit by a stray?..you make "risk" sound like it only applies to the 2 sh%tbags whilst bullets are flying down the alleyway.
Cheers

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
question #1: Justified, he was attacked in his home, without knowing the layout of the home and the location of the gun in regards to the intruders he may have been stuck in between confronting them with a gun or trying to crawl out a window with an injured collar bone... not easy.

question #2: he chased and fired this requires thought and a certain amount of premeditation that is what will send him to jail. Had a guy in Oklahoma that reloaded to finish off an attacker, reloading is what got him sent to prison. Just like Chasing and shooting 1 in the back will get him sent to prison... the fact she was pregnant should not matter but of course the DA will play that up like no tomorrow.
edit on 25-7-2014 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
So you would be ok if say one of your family members was hit by a stray?..you make "risk" sound like it only applies to the 2 sh%tbags whilst bullets are flying down the alleyway.
Cheers

Of course not who would be ok with that? But I don't live my life wondering when my neighbor is going to shoot a burglar so I can worry if I am in the line of fire. No more than a plane falling from the sky right on top of me. All of life has risk, the question is how much are you willing to accept? I am a competitive shooter, motorcycle rider, and when younger a racer, worked for 30 years with high voltage, no worries, when my number comes up on the big bingo machine there isn't anything I can say I wanted to do I didn't, other than having dinner with Brooklyn Decker.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join