It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Gaurd in Texas Could Get Arrest Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

HOUSTON — When Gov. Rick Perry of Texas announced plans to deploy 1,000 National Guard troops to help with the border crisis, it came with a power unexpected by some. By deploying them himself rather than through Washington, he has the power to order the troops to make arrests and apprehensions, something Guard troops in past border deployments have been prohibited from doing.

Articles below argue whether or not we have the right to arrest ILLEGAL people in our country. It's beginning to turn into too many threads about said topic, like 9/11, or sandy hook. All i can say is the world is backwards, and my beer and popcorn is stashed to supply me for when all that # that hits the fan lands on me.
NY Times
Houston Chronicle
Express News
edit on 25-7-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: thirdcoast

So the only article I could read was all about them not having the training to do it correctly and legally.
Noting about not having the right to arrest them.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The national guard duties are to "to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasion."

And any sheriff in the US can deputize anyone as needed.

And nether would violate Posse Comitatus.

Texas also has the Texas State Guard that is not under the national guard and only answers to the Governor of Texas.

en.wikipedia.org...

They are not a part of the United States Armed Forces. and as state forces do not come under Posse Comitatus as they have police powers under the laws of Texas.

Don't mess with Texas

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Hm. Good to know to know a few of our laws are being upheld.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Nice job on the explanation

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: thirdcoast

[post] Articles below argue whether or not we have the right to arrest ILLEGAL people in our country.[/post]

What's the keyword there?

If the headline read:

Bla bla bla argue whether to arrest illegal arms dealers, bla.

Outraged yet?
edit on 25-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The TNG will be used as they always have been. To provide assistance in humanitarian efforts. Ergo, the CBP officers who were performing those job functions can return to patrolling.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The first American arrested on "suspicion of being an illegal" will drive a death nail in this entire hair-brained scheme. What an epic waste of $12-million a month.

As almost every law enforcement agency in Texas has already said...if Perry was truly concerned about stopping crime with this deployment, then these National Guard Troops Deputies are much more needed in Houston and Dallas.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The police state of Texas, and fools support this.

so just where are they going to house or imprison these people?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

If the U.N. would do its job instead of spending countless millions on studies, meetings, projections etc., maybe they should set up internment camps on the Mexico side of the borders.

Think of the talent going to waste !!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

If the U.N. would do its job instead of spending countless millions on studies, meetings, projections etc., maybe they should set up internment camps on the Mexico side of the borders.

Well now it seems these illegals want all American T.V. stations to be broadcast in Spanish.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Deportation is a federal problem, not state.

If Obama spent more time on issues and less time campaigning, raising money for democratic candidates and playing golf, he might have an adequate grasp of the situation.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Internment or did you mean refugee camps?

Internment means people are held without charge and cannot leave.
Refugee camp means assitance where people can come and go as their situation stabalizes.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Definitely internment.
Obama wants to open the borders, with unlawful executive power if he needs to.

We are so concerned with "terrorists" that we radiate adults and fondle children at all the airports, some major ports, and now a few train stations in the larger metro areas.....yet we leave our borders wide open to let in pretty much anyone who can cross.... With free health care, a drivers license, and no questions asked.

I'm not sure on this, but I think gov. Perry is just making a play against democrats, showing he cares and the dems don't. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt this will slow the transfer of drugs and guns across the border much at all. It's all for PR in my eyes.

edit on 29-7-2014 by lonweld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
No matter if you give the NG arrest powers or not it does not matter. How hard is for people to grasp that the border can not be secured. Hundreds of thousands of troops. walls, fences, mine fields, towers, sensors and billions of dollars a year are spent trying to secure the DMZ in Korea that is 150 miles long and it is still not secure. Expand that to 1.933 miles of just the Southern Border. You will need millions of troops and trillions of dollars a year. And then people wiil just come by sea or the northern border. We went from 3000 border agents in the 1990s to 28,000 now. Talk about a waste of money to make simple minded people feel better. Almost as big of waste of money and sending the NG off on a PR stunt. Bush, Obama and Perry all seem to know many Americans are idiots and think well we will send the NG down for awhile they will get some photo ops in, waste tons of money and then go home having done nothing and Americans will cheer.

top topics

join