It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Blows up Jonah's Tomb in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

(CNN) -- If you blink during the video, you might miss the moment Jonah's tomb in Mosul, Iraq, explodes.
The first few frames show the revered shrine towering over its landscape. There's a sudden burst of dust, fire and smoke.

Then, nothing.

CNN could not immediately confirm the authenticity of the video, which was posted to YouTube.

The holy site is thought to be the burial place of the prophet Jonah, who was swallowed by a whale or fish in both the Islamic and Judeo-Christian traditions.

Militants belonging to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, planted explosives around the tomb and detonated the explosion remotely Thursday, civil defense officials there told CNN.

ISIS Blows up Jonah's Tomb in Iraq

Well there goes Jonah's tomb. Jonah was a prophet according to both Islam and Christian lore. The extremists blew up another mosque earlier in the week, where they say the prayers are not strict enough. Mosul is Iraq's second largest city, and has been overtaken by ISIS.

ISIS blew up two whole mosques, leveling them, in one week. They destroyed 10 mosques prior to destroying Jonah's tomb - 6 Shiite mosques and 4 Sunni mosques as they march toward Baghdad, and 11 Christian churches in Ninevah. Their leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi thinks of himself as some sort of messiah / harbringer of death figure.

ISIS in Jeremiah 50:46 "At the noise of the taking of Babylon the earth is moved and the cry is heard among the nations." There is your prophecy segway. ISIS is fighting in both Iraq and Syria, and has taken over regions in both, declaring an Islamic state. They are also poising to take over Rome.

edit on 25amFri, 25 Jul 2014 01:34:56 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 25amFri, 25 Jul 2014 01:37:56 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 25amFri, 25 Jul 2014 02:01:34 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
whoever funded, provided intelligence and organized this group didn't do a favor to his Karma, Eternal Life or whatever.

if there is a sin - this is it...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: demus

This pretty much puts these guys solidly on my bad list, most of the time I can see both sides, but these are radical Islamic terrorists destroying churches and mosques, it sounds pretty destructive, like chaotic evil harbingers of death or something. And they do it while spreading the word of God, to top it all off.
edit on 25amFri, 25 Jul 2014 01:41:06 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
pretty much,
two gurls and a cup in the political/religious realm with that one.

wth!?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Annie Mossity

It is starting to look like the war against Russia and the Islamic extremists in the Middle East is at a tipping point. From the sounds of what I was reading and listening to, Iraq and Syria are a mess, more than usual. The same thing is happening in Ukraine - all out civil war, with rebels holding entire cities.

Although I'm still not sure why we support the rebels in Syria and are against the exact same group in Iraq.
edit on 25amFri, 25 Jul 2014 01:45:55 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
This is sad.

The mosques and churches in Iraq are so old. They have relics in them that are so historic.

Even to those who are not people of any faith, they are a glimpse into our past as humans.

To see them destroyed like this is really a tragedy.

It reminds me of the Buddhas of Bamiyan.

Horrible.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
One video is two weeks old and the CNN one is today, man they are a little slow on the uptake. but i guess thats MSM for you.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Wow, maybe they were sitting on the story until an opportune time.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
These people are not Muslims, and as a Sunni myself, that is not a statement of opinion. I mean, they're not even extremists. Muslim extremists are people who stand on one foot on top of a cactus in a desert for sixty years. Or, yes, people who believe they are under attack and are therefore allowed, by Qu'ran, to fight back with total ferocity. Their definition of being under attack is definitely a matter of opinion and interpretation, and they take a very wide view of what it means. But this ISIS thing of using violence to perpetuate and correct Islam itself is a completely different story. It's forbidden. This is like they're running around coated in pig lard and committing adultery "for Islam". It makes so little sense I'm deeply skeptical it's not a -- and this is what the phrase actually means, my friends!
-- false flag operation.
edit on 25-7-2014 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
What the hell is wrong with these people? Not only are they murdering innocent people and destroying historical monuments, with the help of the mainstream media they are profaning the sacred name of Isis, the goddess of love.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums

The mosques and churches in Iraq are so old. They have relics in them that are so historic.

somebody mentioned it in another topic and I must admit it crosses my mind (more often lately):

are they looking for something in the Middle East?

are they trying to find and keep or find and destroy something?

what if all the mess in the Middle East is not only about the oil, currency, stocks, arms...?

what if there are more mysterious reasons for causing all the destruction and unrest?

(by "they" I'm not referring to ISIS)
edit on 25America/Chicago0700000025 by demus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

I'd rather the buildings had remained intact, but i'm more of the opinion that destroying living breathing innocent Human beings is the real tragedy, not piles of old stones.

As far as this Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi thinking of himself as some sort of messiah, a bullet between the eyes will sort that question out..one way or the other.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

This is an excellent question. I have no evidence, just conjecture, but something is very suspicious about ISIS, to me. Usually, I see this kind of violence as supported by Western propaganda and arms dealing, but also arising from tragic but at least nominally Muslim interpretations of faith. This time it's just bizarre. I can't even work out what would be gained from a false flag conducted in this way, though, as so many people who are not Muslim believe it all so quickly, so the purpose can't be demonization. If that were necessary, people would be shocked, instead of convinced.

Why, I kept thinking, if I work from the false flag hypothesis, go after CHURCHES and MOSQUES? What Westerner would blow up a holy Christian site? What people on this planet ohhhhh wait....right. There is in fact one group of extremists who would not at all be bothered by either but they ain't Muslim, is they.*

They're also very good at war, however. And this is boneheaded. I know who gains, but what do they gain?

What, as you say, might they be seeking to find, or to destroy?

*Note: I believe the Jewish people do need to have a safe homeland, but that Zionism in its present form is not only not achieving this, it never will. Jews do not control the media, international finance, or the ruling elite. Israel does not control the United States -- it is a client state of the US, imbued with tremendous power due to its strategic importance. Most Jewish people seem to be against its policies these days, and citizen Israelis live in a propaganda bubble so extreme it makes Americans look informed. I mean specifically and only Israeli terrorists.
edit on 25-7-2014 by sepermeru because: and one of my best friends is Druish

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

This pretty much puts these guys solidly on my bad list, most of the time I can see both sides, but these are radical Islamic terrorists destroying churches and mosques, it sounds pretty destructive, like chaotic evil harbingers of death or something. And they do it while spreading the word of God, to top it all off.

A tomb is a symbol of idolatry, something strictly forbidden in their interpretation of Islam. They're not doing it because they want to be jackasses, they're doing it because their religion tells them to. That doesn't make it right, but it's their line of thought.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Reminds me of this story from 2001. The Taliban; Destroyers of Ancient Buddha Statues.

Source Here

An absolute demonstration of the cultural void that fundamental Islam is in reality.

And we all know what happened shortly after the above event.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

This is utterly disgraceful.

Why would they wish to destroy such a site? What are they going to do next, nuke Mecca? I fail entirely to understand the motivation for this sort of action. Surely blowing the place up, destroying all the ancient relics and architecture, is counter productive to their stated cause?

Of course, there must be a reason for what they did, that makes sense to them at any rate, but I would love to know what cause is served by the eradication of the physical history of the region. Unless of course, the artefacts and buildings on these sites, contain some sort of undeniable proof of the illegitimacy of the ISIS way of doing business. No fascist allows their operations to be questioned, least of all by faith.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Thats really sad, I always loved Jonah's story. I hate that these monsters are marching through the cradle of civilization destroying history. Not to mention all the murdering and God knows what else

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I suppose in a warped mind, the rationale could be that by destroying the Human opposition and hence memories to an idealistic point of view, then destroying the physical history in the form of ancient buildings and temples, the destroyers can rewrite history as they wish it to be believed by future indoctrinated generations.

It's a megalomaniacal, but not uncommon theme seen throughout history.

History is written by the victors..supposedly.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Islamist blowing up mosques and Jonah's Tomb! If I didn't know any better I'd think these terrorist weren't Islamic at all but a paid militant group hired to ignite peoples hatred against Islam. But as we all know the media doesn't lie does it. If it wasn't for the media replaying the WMD mantra a million times we would never have got all that WMD out of Saddam Hussein hands .

ISIS Trained by US military
edit on 25 7 2014 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Why would they wish to destroy such a site? What are they going to do next, nuke Mecca? I fail entirely to understand the motivation for this sort of action. Surely blowing the place up, destroying all the ancient relics and architecture, is counter productive to their stated cause?

Either the artifacts are heresy and detract from the worshop of Allah in which case they need to be destroyed or they simply reiterate what the Qu'ran states in which case they aren't needed. That's their line of thinking.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join