It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves... No, really this is good!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Racism? Seriously? So now conspiracy theorists are a race?
a reply to: bjarneorn

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: christmaspig
Racism? Seriously? So now conspiracy theorists are a race?

Bad choice of words, "discrimination" is the right word. In modern times, they're equivalent ... as "racism" by itself doesn't exist, as there is only one race ... the human race.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Lol and on the other side - the planning meeting!

JAK

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I wouldn't want to talk for anyone else but it seemed to me if you wanted to think about the piece and consider a message then it was not one of all conspiracy theories being laughable, paranoid fantasies (after all, for those who care to spare the time a peek at history quickly deflates that argument) but rather that in considering an event it's important to maintain a healthy scepticism. After all if, for some nefarious reason, I would rather you didn't follow up on a particular line of enquiry it may be difficult for me to target you individually and persuade you that you are mistaken and just to drop it and even if successful with you, following that approach I then have to make the same efforts with every other individual who starts down that path. Considering how quickly ideas can spread today it seems an approach which demands an unnecessary, if not unfeasibly large amount of time and attention. If though I can simply muddy the waters with theories, lies, bluffs, double bluffs and stimulating conspiracy theories (perhaps tinged with a few tasty, well placed facts) not only is it possible that you may be swamped to the point of flailing about in the mire, a voice in darkness without any recognisable authority or sanction who, rightly or wrongly, can then be dismissed as petty and paranoid, but so too can anyone else who may start down that path.

It seems the first step in attempting to avoid this mess, this potentially disorientating whirlpool of whispered rumour and counter-rumour, is to try and view things as clearly as possible; a position which to me strongly suggests that before all else we strive to refuse our own bias. As best we can at any rate. Surely the first step in refusing lies and the casual acceptance of propaganda is to try and refuse our own. If there are those who would delight in muddying the waters surrounding a particular event how joyful they would be to see others, particularly those with genuinely good intent, adding (albeit accidentally) to the mess.

The passion of surprise and wonder, arising from miracles, being an agreeable emotion, gives a sensible tendency towards the belief of those events, from which it is derived. And this goes so far, that even those who cannot enjoy this pleasure immediately, nor can believe those miraculous events, of which they are informed, yet love to partake of the satisfaction at second-hand or by rebound, and place a pride and delight in exciting the admiration of others. With what greediness are the miraculous accounts of travellers received, their descriptions of sea and land monsters, their relations of wonderful adventures, strange men, and uncouth manners? But if the spirit of religion join itself to the love of wonder, there is an end of common sense; and human testimony, in these circumstances, loses all pretensions to authority.

David Hume (1711 - 1776)

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.

Bertrand Russell
Proposed Roads to Freedom

Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters:

Francisco José de Goya

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins

Benjamin Franklin.

If there is any underlying message to be taken here then rather than it being a call to dismiss the idea of any and all conspiracies (which would seem a very weak - particularly on ATS) it seems a cautionary tale urging prudence for the sake of clarity and accuracy when trying to work toward a sincere understanding. How can urging reasonable caution in a area so ripe for fantasy and thus easy dismissal be anything but constructive?

If, too, it is considered that the video offered here emphasises certain points through use of a little light relief well, perhaps that's not a bad thing either:

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.

Bertrand Russell

I know I've rolled my eyes and been left with a wry smile aimed at myself after getting carried away before. (I seem to be particularly vulnerable to such flights of fancy or overly elaborate considerations between 02:00 and 04:00). You may view this thread in a dim light but then anyone can offer any words and the reader will interpret them as they will. Here though I'm not seeing anything which, after consideration, seems wholly negative. In fact quite the opposite. There may well be those who take a superficial glance at such a piece, giggle and move on but how time consuming and tedious it would be to offer disclaimers and convoluted explanations alongside every single post. (How bored are you here, now, with my explanation? How many people do you think have read this far? And of those who have, many I'm sure would love to be able to bill me for wasting their time!)

Also, let's be honest - it's gonna kill the joke.

Don't get me wrong bjarneorn I understand a defensive stance considering the nature of the topics discussed here but to lose ones sense of humour, particularly in this area, seems to perch upon a precarious precipice.
edit on 25/7/14 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

Precisely...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I will be sending you a bill due within 15 days of receipt. As soon as my secretary shows up for work, that is.

Seriously. I enjoyed that as much as I enjoyed the video. You nailed some of my own thoughts.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Thanks sooo much for this! I really needed this laugh today!
Secretly, on the down low...that was made in my living room. Those are my kids!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Well said JAK, what a well written well referenced post.
I read it in its entirety and enjoyed it so much that I'll waive the bill.

Instead of paying me for my time maybe you could make a small donation to the local CTOFH*
Who do great work in secret places all across the world, and on the moon.

* Conspiracy Theorists Old Farts Home

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

What if we're witnessing a replay of Ferdinand? ca. 1904?

In what sense?

Secondly if you're referring to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand it wasn't approximately 1904 it was actually 1914 - you know it's the centenary of the First World War...?

Anyway where was the video from? Did you make it yourself?
edit on 25/7/14 by Kram09 because: typo

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So this vid is an attempt to paint all people who are asking questions and connecting legitimate dots are conspiracy theory nuts whos minds are running wild? Hmm

But what about the many conspiracy theories that turned out to be true? Those people were called tin-foil hat wearing nuts too....
25 conspiracy theories that turned out to be true:
list25.com...

edit on 25-7-2014 by Fylgje because: to fix link

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Funny ! Plus, if it's on YouTube, it must be true !!!

I've come to learn that there are various degrees of conspiracy theorists. The serious grave digger, that questions certain official stories but is seriously looking for a smoking gun. The armchair researcher (yep, IMO, that's most of us) who questions official stories, is somewhat seriously looking all over the internet to prove his point of view, and is willing to debate and learn a thing or two in the process. Then, there's the addicted dot connector, that questions anything and everything and connects irrelevant dots left, right and center, in order to confirm his own paranoia and/or delusions.

Those kids in the video, strangely, reminded me of the latter. LOL

Funny stuff !

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

I concur. We need to get Scooter for an Ask Me Anything.

Oh and ... Invasion ... like boa constrictors are invasive ... and boas sometimes have feathers like these feather boas ...

in this burlesque ... and burlesque makes me think of Clinton ... Oh! Hillary Clinton will be elected in 2016!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kram09

I was off by 10 years, what's a typo that equates to a decade among friends?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Sense of HUMOR, it's a GREAT thing to have when the caca hits the fan.

edit on 7-25-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: cloudwatcher

I want to talk to your kids, they're geniuses!

Seriously though (unless they really are your kids then you already know this), I am having a talk with the guys who created this next week about doing more with us.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
a reply to: Fylgje

Sense of HUMOR, they're great to have when the caca hits the fan.

A well developed 6th sense of humor is very important to cultivate when dealing with some of these subjects.
I hope I die laughing.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the video Springer, it gave me quite a chuckle!

I think for some that seem to find it "offensive" need to realize a couple of things (and my post here will not be as good as JAK's however):

1) Being able to laugh at yourself is a sign of humbleness. Else you're taking yourself too seriously too much of the time.

2) I don't think the vid was aimed at all CTs.....just the ones that seem to think there is a Boogy Man under every bed, rock and leaf. Critical thinking should always be used.

3) Not every single thing in the world is a conspiracy. Unfortunately, any first time visitor to places like here at ATS, just might get the impression that any member here thinks just that. All one has to do is watch how any big news item ends up literally EXPLODING all over ATS. You literally trip over the amount of threads with theories that pop up, and in so many different forums.

I think CTs have merit. I've read a lot of really good theories (even the ones I didn't agree with, I thought they were well put). I've also read some really out there theories that, if read out loud, would have sounded just like the Vid in the OP!

The fact is: as with EVERYTHING in this world, it's possible to go overboard with it sometimes (or many times, depending on how popular it is).

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lonewolf2
Those Webb and MItchell guys are pretty funny! I just got done watching about 20 of their skits on you tube. Thanks for sharing bud.

Springer: Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing more from these guys too. They could try to be funnier though instead of just banking on overused conspiracy cliches. Anyone can connect meaningless dots while pretending to be serious about it. They have the right subject matter for me, the set was interesting enough to pull me into the story, and their acting isn't too bad for skit work, but the content or the script or whatever could use some work.

They could take some notes from the Webb and Mitchell playbook in my humble opinion. It really does just seem like they are making fun of conspiracy researchers which is a very easy thing to do. If they actually made it funnier, well, Id appreciate that. But, you know, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people seemed to get a kick out of it.

But yeah I'd definitely be willing to see what else they are capable of.

Thanks for sharing bud.
edit on 7/26/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is hilarious!

Reminds me so much of ATS...and myself of course!

s&f for awesomeness.

edit on 26-7-2014 by Quyll because: addition

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

OMG, I'm drinking wine, and just spit it all over my monitor! That video is hilarious! "partridge in a (naughty word) pear tree", bwahahahahaha! Priceless! Thanks for posting this, needed a good laugh.

edit on 26-7-2014 by ChiefD because: Punctuation

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join