It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switchblade in testing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Occurred : 5/14/2014 12:15 (Entered as : 05/14/2014 12:15)
Reported: 5/16/2014 11:01:04 PM 23:01
Posted: 6/4/2014
Shape: Changing
Duration:1 minute
Gliding raptor craft, folded wings to tie-fighter configuration launching to super sonic speed with no sound.

5/14/2014 12:15pm

Observed a very high gliding, black raptor type craft, pointed front with angled wings and long body and somewhat flat end like an eagle’s tail. Craft then folded wings to a shape somewhat of a Star Wars tie-fighter. Back end looked like a W but middle of W smaller, longer outside wings of W formed to a < in front. (Best description I can write as can’t draw on form.) Craft then looked like it was launched off a catapult and speed seemed to increase until it was out of site. When craft accelerated, no sound was heard. Craft was going North.

Spirit Lake, ID

www.nuforc.org...

I had been combing through recent UFO reports looking for possible reports of secret aircraft when I stumbled upon the report above. At first it seemed like a fantastical description. Except, the description reminded me of something I have seen before, this:
en.wikipedia.org...

That is a pretty eerie description of the switchblade concept. Could this be a possible F-111 replacement being tested in the Washington/Idaho border area?
edit on 7/24/2014 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Here is an old ATS thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far back as 1989 the buzz inside aviation circles was the Pentagon was developing a variable swing-wing aircraft to replace the aging fleet of F-111s which was retired for good in 1995. The F-111 was a medium sized bomber also capable of defending itself as a fighter and then speeding away at over 1600 miles per hour.
When reports of a new swing wing aircraft sighted near Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico and at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, surfaced Popular Science investigated. High ranking officials are said to have gathered in secure hangers at two air bases to be given a sneak peek at the new aircraft. In September of 1994, it was observed circling high over Amarillo, Texas, for several minutes at midday. These reports to an exclusive story on this aircraft in 1995.
New Evidence
Since then Popular Science has learned that the aircraft is not a standard variable swing-wing aircraft as first reported but instead employs a unique forward sweeping wing mechanism that enables the aircraft to become an advanced attack aircraft capable of precision weapons delivery, super maneuverability (for air combat) and MACH 3 dash capability. A new covert squadron was formed to fly these aircraft. Recently Popular Science obtained from aviation author and historian Jim Goodall the squadron patch worn by pilots that fly the supersecret Switchblade and very recently Northrop filled patents with the U.S. Patent Office, including descriptions and drawings of an advanced tactical fighter/bomber that could very well be the mystery aircraft.

Link to article

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
that is nothing like a tie fighter, I don't think a tie fighter shape aircraft would fly very well either or even at all
edit on 226Thursdaypm2014-07-24T23:25:55-05:00kThu20141110 by BlackDog10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackDog10
that is nothing like a tie fighter, I don't think a tie fighter shape aircraft would fly very well either or even at all

I think they were struggling to describe a forward swept wing...

Northrop/Grumman patented it, so yes, the craft is airworthy.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That sounds more like the advanced Mission Adaptive Wing that they've developed. The F-111 replacement, as far as I know, is already developed and is well into the testing phase even approaching IOC if they haven't reached it already.

The MAW was first tested in the 80s, and was incredibly effective. It's about a hundred times more effective now. To the point they no longer need things like ailerons, and flaps.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Would you know where there are Pics or schematics of such a beast ?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Do you think that's whats being described or does the report sound like a fantasy?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The F-111 replacement? Nowhere. It's still in the black world.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Figures everything I am interested in is either black or falls under Nat Security. Sucks IMO

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

Do I think it's the F-111 replacement? No. Do I think it's the advanced MAW out playing? Yes.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I never actually saw it flying or air refueling but I've heard that it exists and was flight tested. If it was though, it prob was canceled because of the f-22/23 stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'd love to see pics of this thing in flight.

No flaps or ailerons you say? That is impressive.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

The important point here is to say that although MAW's may not have traditional control surfaces on the leading and trailing edge, it still has some sort of control via mission adapting, IE, the wing "adapts" to the envelope required of it. An aircraft with absolutely no control surfaces is commonly referred to as a "brick." No matter how much computing power I put on a brick to keep it stable, in the absence of any control surfaces it is still just a brick :-)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: PW229

Exactly. It still uses flaps, they just aren't traditional.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Are these like flexible wings that bend and re-shape themselves to control the airflow over their surface?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yes. If you look up the MAW tests in the 80s, it changed the shape of the wing for various flight envelopes.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Are these like flexible wings that bend and re-shape themselves to control the airflow over their surface?

Modern versions use a flexible carbon fibre and worm screws buried in the wing. In the near future we may see graphene wing surfaces affected by current flow.

top topics

join