It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. says Russia firing artillery over border at Ukraine military

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: Vovin

I totally understand, but I am still not in favor of using our resources in a non-profitable deal solely for political gain. Nope...

Our trade balance is negative enough that we should never pass on an opportunity to help it balance out a bit better. We are hemorrhaging dollars....

As "liberal entanglement" theory describes, peace and development is carried out by establishing neoliberal economic ties between countries.

For example, my Canadian government is run by neoliberal economists who believe solely in the free market and have worked towards deregulating our resources for export to economic allies. What this means is that we give up resources, and this economic stability, in order to commit to stronger alliances with other economic powers who become more dependent on our resources.

Canada has been working with the Americans to create this situation in Ukraine in order to cut off Russian free trade prospects with Europe, so transatlantic free-trade pacts can be established. Economy and politics are very much connected and under capitalism, governments have to work towards opening up markets for their corporate interests to dominate.

It is no coincidence that Canada, which hosts the majority of global mining corporations, is aggressively pursuing neoliberal measures in Ukraine, which has a significant mining and energy extraction industry. Politically speaking, Canada is also working to contain a rival energy-producing empire, which is Russia.

People claim that Russia is the aggressor in Ukraine, but this is not true. Russia has expanded dramatically in terms of energy production and is driving the demarcation of the Arctic in order to pursue the extraction of vast energy reserves which would be used to further entangle the Russian and European economies. American and Canadian meddling in Ukrainian government is a strategic maneuver to counter these prospects and ensure that the EU is dependent of North American resources, and thus remains a strategic ally.

But this works in Russia's favour in a sense due to BRICS, which consists of the top three industrially developing countries (Brazil, China, India) that need more and more energy and mineral resources that Russia has to offer. The industrially developing countries of today will be the industrial leaders of tomorrow, and Russia will be better off forming strategic and economic pacts with such countries.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Once again, I agree with your assessment. Well stated.

Capitalism with politics mixed, does not make for ideal economic conditions. But then, I have an extremely low perception of politics anyway...

I fear it is time for US citizens to stand up to their govt. Thomas Jefferson stated, in no uncertain terms, that a populace that is willing to revolt is the only thing that will keep a govt honest. Part of the paragraph that ends with "the tree of liberty must, from time to time, be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike" (paraphrased).

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

Once again, I agree with your assessment. Well stated.

Capitalism with politics mixed, does not make for ideal economic conditions. But then, I have an extremely low perception of politics anyway...

I fear it is time for US citizens to stand up to their govt. Thomas Jefferson stated, in no uncertain terms, that a populace that is willing to revolt is the only thing that will keep a govt honest. Part of the paragraph that ends with "the tree of liberty must, from time to time, be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike" (paraphrased).

The successful revolution begins in the "weakest link" of the chain: the colonies of the empire.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join