It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you losing friends because of your political beliefs?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Nah, I only have enemies.

Seriously, my true friends don't let politics affect friendship.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I know and work with people that think I'm their friend but I wouldn't trust them even a little bit!

Something about fascist that rubs me the wrong way. I know enough that in business situations to keep my mouth shut.

edit on 24-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I haven't lost any friends - yet. But, it's getting weird out there

Outside of ATS I don't even bring up politics on my own - ever. If we're going to go ahead and have that conversation because someone else brought it up first - I tread lightly

I swear, these days you can't even play devil's advocate. Or wish. Your wishes will give you away and invite a full scale attack

I thought it was my imagination for a while, but I'm starting to hear this same sort of thing from all over

And now here

:-)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Not if they are really my friends. Makes for good discussions, but doesnt clean out my address book.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't have any friends... Maybe that's why??

I'm a stay at home mom so family is about all I have to talk politics with besides ATS. As with any family, I have some sane and some nutters. It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't already dysfunctional.

Sometimes I see some family think it's fun just to bring up certain things to certain family members simply to watch the fireworks. Family dinner during the hellidays getting boring?? Bring up Obamacare and watch Uncle Joe lose his shiite.

Trolls.... They exist in real life.
edit on 7/24/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Which is more important to you? Being right or keeping your friend.

Me? Keeping a friend. So why do my words cause so much discomfort?

That, you'll have to answer for yourself. Best wishes.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Discussion! Most of the people in my family and circle of friends do not have a clue or an opinion about politics or anything that is going on in the world.
Glad I found ATS where there are others that want to discuss global problems.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have and yes its a bit saddening that people hold politics over friendship but that goes both ways; I'd rather lose a friend over politics than lose my politics because of a friend.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I do not have any friends. I live by the motto, only family and associates. Family does not have to mean blood relative. Anyone I let into my small circle will be loved and supported by me for life. No matter there religion or politics.

I try never to argue politics anyways. I am pretty sure no one has ever in the history of mankind been swayed to join the other side through a political argument. Rational discourse yes, argument no. I think everyone has the right to believe whatever they want as long as it is not directly hurting me.

If one of my family has a differing opinion I listen to what they have to say. Weigh it against what I believe. If I like what they are saying I incorporate it into myself. If I do not like it. I just go on letting them believe what they want. If they continue to push there beliefs on me I ask them to respect and love me like I respect and love them. If they persist I then evaluate if I still want them in my circle of family.
edit on 25-7-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

After around the time of 9/11 things got really strange.. not just in the realm of what was happening politically, but how people were behaving .. dare I say, in a spiritual sense.

Felt very estranged from the world and most of the people I knew. I felt like the guy in the movie - 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' when he was out in the street trying to tell everyone what was happening.

I learned a long time ago that there is no point in talking to the suckers about that stuff. It will only be to your detriment. Just be aware and vigilant, and amiable to those sort of people.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Not a chance. I have friends with varying degrees of political views and religious views. They have every right to choose those views. Occasionally, I may get into a political discussion with a friend, but only to the extent of discussion. not argument.

What I have chosen to believe, based on my own experiences, is simply what I choose to believe. I have no requirement that anyone else must believe the same as I do. Likewise, I have no reason to think other views are wrong.

Unless we're talking baseball. That's a whole other story and I'll end you!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join