It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you losing friends because of your political beliefs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I'm not talking about FB friends, though your friends might be on FB. I never thought I would see a world that could tear people apart as easily as it is today. People that I have known, personally, in RL, that seldom talk to me now because my political views are different. Yes they are volatile issues. Say Israel/Palestine. Russia, etc. Is this reasonable? I don;t think it is. You're willing to throw over a 10 year relationship because I don't bend over for, say, Israel? That's absurd. I blame the media. Well, who wouldn't?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I don't lose friends over politics or religion basically because I was always taught by my parents never to argue about...wait...politics or religion.
I am quite capable of having my say, then allowing others their say, then deciding if I should try to impose/clarify my ideas on/to someone, however, where religion and politics are concerned, there truly is no way to do this when one is confronted with polar views. Don't take it to heart. And DON'T use FB

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A supposed relative accused me of racism for a comment about unsustainable immigration, obviously they don't know or want to know the difference.

Another relative chided my love of Art and the fact I think there should be more appreciation of it, being cultured is a good thing.

A student on my Art course went rather angry when myself and another were talking about spirituality and belief in extraterrestrial life.

I am good, ethical and my moral compass points in the right direction, those that know me well enough, know this and wouldn't even consider accusing me of racism or of unethical morals.

If those of a judgemental slant can't see the error of their own ways before judging others from comments then that is their lack of clarity.

That said, my beliefs aren't exactly extreme and I don't throw it out there, I talk about certain things on ATS, and to a selective few though generally I keep my political, religious and some scientific opinions private.
edit on 24-7-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I don't discuss politics and religion with anyone in real life except my husband. I get it all out on ATS. So no, I'm not losing any friends due to my political beliefs. Most of the people I know in real life don't hear what I have to say about politics. The old advice to never discuss politics or religion if you want to keep friends is correct.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The old advice to never discuss politics or religion if you want to keep friends is correct.

Um, what if THEY bring it up? You know, I'm not shy.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Um, what if THEY bring it up? You know, I'm not shy.

That's different. Let 'em have it. But only if you don't care if they stick around.

Honestly though ... at family get togethers I do keep my mouth shut and I have to keep kicking my husband under the table not to respond to strong opinionated family members. It's better to let them wallow in their own ignorance/arrogance rather than have a family rift that will make holidays more miserable than they already are.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Which is more important to you? Being right or keeping your friend.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I've never broken off a friendship because of ideology.

I've had friends and family break off relations with me because of MY ideology, though.

I guess I'm just a little more tolerant.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Which is more important to you? Being right or keeping your friend.

Me? Keeping a friend. So why do my words cause so much discomfort?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
friends dont talk about politics.

never discuss politics, eugenics, or guess a womans age.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
friends dont talk about politics.

never discuss politics, eugenics, or guess a womans age.

You're 19 and beautiful. Right?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If my political views were too much for my friends that they just dumped me, then they were not really friends then were they?
My best buddy since we were crapping our pants...and most probably until we are again, he and I don't share all of the same views, but we have good healthy debate.
He is one of the few people I would kill or die for and same the other way I am sure.
Friends help you move, true friends help you move bodies!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've avoided people that go on about politics and won't stop: I don't know if it's me losing them or them losing me.
I'm of a different political persuasion than most of my mother's family. I don't got to any of their gatherings anymore, simply because I don't like being circled and shouted at due to my individual outlook.
I have dinner with many friends of different political outlooks, and it's boss to really talk about issues intelligently; But some people I've simply had to cut out of my life due to irrational emotionalism.

edit on 24-7-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
You say...

It's better to let them wallow in their own ignorance/arrogance rather than have a family rift

I would disagree, I have friends because i like and want them, family was forced upon us all!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

What one absolutely, ABSOLUTELY has to avoid is the person who wants to goad you into an argument. Avoid those people like the plague, they often have agendas far away from the actual debate at hand, such as scoring points, settling old grievances, trying to get people on their side. Such people are in fact toxic in a way. That is not to say lose contact with them, friends and family are so much more than just an argument from the abyss but...be aware.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

People come and people go. Friends come and friends go.
Family ... you are stuck with them until the will is read after the funeral.

One of the nice things about ATS is that we can 'talk straight' .. just say it as it is. Put the info out there and the opinion out there ... and we don't give a hoot if anyone here likes us or not.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Not so much politics... I lose friends because I'm a degenerate weirdo who thinks aliens exist and are likely in the vicinity and have had strange stuff happen to me that makes people uncomfortable trying to figure out if I'm sane ...or not.

But politics? Not yet...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Not so much politics... I lose friends because I'm a degenerate weirdo who thinks aliens exist and are likely in the vicinity and have had strange stuff happen to me that makes people uncomfortable trying to figure out if I'm sane ...or not.

But politics? Not yet...

Your day is yet to come

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I lost a good friend to the Obama machine. He is straight up Obama militant. He threw away over a decade of friendship because I don't support the President.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

In a word? No.

Most of my friends do not have full fledged opinions, such as those to be found here on ATS. They have media based awareness, but are unaware of the need to form a deep understanding of the geopolitical situation, and although they remain aware of local matters (certainly in the case of several of my friends who work in Her Majesties Revenue and Customs office), their opinions on wider issues are rather two dimensional. That said, I learn a lot from them on other levels, and they in turn learn from me, the things they would not be exposed to without my input.

In essence, friendship is a measure of how well you can enjoy a persons company, but looking deeper into the phenomenon of companionship, one soon realises that good friends share data in a symbiotic way, which is why the best and firmest of friendships, often occur between people who, although sharing a common interest in some areas, are very different in attitude and outlook.

My best friend is a case in point. Where as I spend my internet time looking at the latest deep field images from space telescopes, wagging the chin about world affairs, thinking about politics, and so on, she likes to spend her time occipital lobe deep in Facebook, chatting to her mates and checking status updates every thirty two point nine seconds. We both love heavy metal, we both love sci-fi shows, and fantasy stuff, but at the end of the day, we are very different people, and we enjoy different aspects of life and living. Where as I like to get under the skin, into the marrow of a subject, she likes to skim across it like a pond skater, occasionally peering beneath the surface, and quickly withdrawing to the Facebook soon after.

Essentially, friendship is about symbiosis of informational interaction. Two people who like to communicate, need not communicate about the exact same things all the time, in order to appreciate the quality of their interactions. Furthermore, there is more to friendship than the beliefs held by two parties. Again, my besty is at best an atheist, and at times has been a bit Wiccan, a little bit of a hippy, and God alone knows how many other branches of philosophy and religion she has involved herself with over the years. However, the fact that I am a Christian has never worried her, and my faith is not threatened by her lack of a definitive religious affiliation.

Basically, despite the differences between us, she is a stand up pal.

What I do not have, is friends who judge people by any other measure than their actions, and that is more valuable to me than having friends who share my every interest and political and religious belief. Good souls, that is what counts, and to me, that is a value measure which grows ever more relevant with every passing year. My friends are my family, and despite our differences, I would raise hell, and crush it to dust for any one of them, and they for me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join