It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epigenetic Link to Neuropsychiatric Disorders Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In a nutshell: Environment affects dopamine activity - dopamine activity affects 2000 genes, and controls whether they're turned on or off. It's epigenetic, NOT genetic - despite what some ignorant uneducated reporters might get paid to say.

Epigenetic Link to Neuropsychiatric Disorders Discovered

Dysfunction in dopamine signaling greatly changes the activity level of about 2,000 genes in the brain’s prefrontal cortex and may be an underlying cause of certain complex neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia….

…. this study shows that altered dopamine levels can modify gene activity through epigenetic mechanisms despite the absence of genetic mutations of the DNA.”

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

is that it, or are you preparing a follow up?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Gideon70

This IS the follow-up. ...Hmm. Went to grab a few links - know I've posted a lot on epigenetics - but no threads to be found. Interesting. Here are a few posts.

Fat Dads' Epigenetic Legacy

The DNA is NOT changed - the inheritance is epigenetic. NONE of the scientists said anything about DNA - just epigenetic inheritance. Which does NOT involve changes to DNA.

Epigenetics is about environment and the heritable effects can last several generations.

Epigenetic factors react to external stimuli and form bridges between the environment and the genetic information-harboring DNA.

Epigenetic mechanisms are implicated in the final interpretation of the encoded genetic information by regulating gene expression....

We can define the phenomena of epigenetics — chemical modifications of DNA or its associated proteins — as dynamic and potentially heritable changes in gene expression that persist even after the signal or event that initiated the change disappears.

ED. to add More...

Some epigenetic tags remain in place as genetic information passes from generation to generation, a process called epigenetic inheritance.

Epigenetic inheritance is an unconventional finding. It goes against the idea that inheritance happens only through the DNA code that passes from parent to offspring. It means that a parent's experiences, in the form of epigenetic tags, can be passed down to future generations.

As unconventional as it may be, there is little doubt that epigenetic inheritance is real.
In fact, it explains some strange patterns of inheritance geneticists have been puzzling over for decades.

ED to add

Is It Really Genetic? ….Should Your Bloodline End Now?

edit on 24/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Well that's a neat study.

I always figured that environmental influence changed brain chemistry.

As a side note, the environmental chemical landscape can be altered, circles can be broken and no one is forced to follow the path of bad family/environment.

The weirdest example of this to me is when you are not in a good mood, you can alter this by forcing and holding a real smile...even if it takes effort, the brain catches up quickly.

Good read,thanks

Cheers

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

So the mystic of ages past had it right all along.......

Scientists would do well to study ancient texts if they really want to uncover the mysterious workings of our world.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1
a reply to: Treespeaker

You're both right. Brain 'neuroplasticity' is seriously awesome - and the Ancients knew it long ago. Most (real) mystic training has to do with (re)opening those developmental windows, reprogramming the brain and thereby, changing its structure and thus - the way it works. Many "in the know" insist that's what alchemy is really all about (changing 'common' metals aka thinkers into 'gold' aka genius-magicians).

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Okay, I think it's both. Basically, you can have parents who have the same environmental circumstances, but don't pass on these same epigenetic markers. I think it would depend on the genetic code of each individual in said shared environmental situation, as to whether they had the ability to make these marker shifts.

So we can trace back this link, yet are not noticing the individuals who didn't pass on these epigenetic markers, and had the same environmental situation. Did that make sense?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Okay, I think it's both. ....I think it would depend on the genetic code of each individual in said shared environmental situation

As twin studies show, the same genetic code (genes) have different effects in different environments. That's 'cuz environmental factors (epigenetic factors) turn genes off and on. Think computer code - the same 0's and 1's have totally different effects depending on the order, meaning depending on when the 0 and 1 is turned off and on.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is that these epigenetic markers are only put into place when certain genetic codes are present.

If you have the same environment, and different genes, only particular genetic patterns will transfer these epigenetic markers from generation to generation.

So it's both.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

If true, then the future generations will be entirely gays. How marvelous.

top topics

join