It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cruise missiles, EW and opining a doorway for bomber

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: quatro

Nope. I'm debating if I should tell what I heard or not. Haha.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Nope. I'm debating if I should tell what I heard or not. Haha.

I just read that the bat's sonar wavelenghts is closed to that of X-band radar too. So was it something toxic?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not a beta emitter?

Would be kind of disconcerting if that was it and it killed them that quickly...
edit on 24-7-2014 by framedragged because: typo

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: framedragged

No, it was Alpha.

They painted an Alpha emitter on the aircraft that created a small plasma cloud around the aircraft in flight that enhanced the stealth characteristics. They eventually removed it when they got new skin installed.

That's what I was told anyway.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

No, it was Alpha.

They painted an Alpha emitter on the aircraft that created a small plasma cloud around the aircraft in flight that enhanced the stealth characteristics. They eventually removed it when they got new skin installed.

That's what I was told anyway.

Would that be considered a form of plasma stealth?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

It was the earliest form of it.

Plasma stealth, while cool, does have one tiny drawback though. If the system fails, and the plasma touches the skin, it instantly shreds the aircraft. Looks cool on paper, not so much in reality.
edit on 7/24/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Is that the ablation plasma tech then? Slamming alphas into air to ionize it? That seems like it would be absurdly dangerous unless they could control the emission amounts in real time. Or was it just incidentally radioactive?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I don't know all the details about it, I just heard some about it during a conversation a few years ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Haha, figures. I wonder if the reports of beta emitters at groom are about this, just misunderstood or misconveyed, or maybe there is some tech that uses beta and some that use alpha.

Man we really are like piranhas. The slightest hint of something juicy and we go into a frenzy.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The earliest systems apparently used paint, so it might very well be related to this. I wouldn't be surprised anyway. There are new ways to do it, but they're not in use currently that I know of.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

And the radium girls thought they had it bad heh.

I wonder how often they had to repaint. Hope the new methods are safer too lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Yes and no. No emissions like in the early days, but in testing, they had a tendency to turn things into confetti. Very very very very small confetti, very quickly if you weren't careful with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

A little confetti here, a little time rate gradient there. Seems like there sure are a lot of ways to turn test pilots into confetti o.O

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Most of them love the danger. That's why they do it. But they usually start out small scale, like the X-48.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Well more power to them haha. I'm sure everyone involved is glad they can do some initial unmanned tests, I always got the feeling that Roswell ended... unfortunately... for someone.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

You read through the 50s and 60s when they were pushing the envelope, and it was more common to have your stamp cancelled than to get it right. They pushed HARD for a lot of years, and for a lot of years the envelope pushed back hard. It's not nearly as bad now, because a lot of it is perfecting preexisting technologies, but there's still some danger involved.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

... it was more common to have your stamp cancelled than to get it right.

Woah. That's heavy.

It's not nearly as bad now, because a lot of it is perfecting preexisting technologies, but there's still some danger involved.

At least until there's an entirely new technology to understand, let alone to perfect!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

With computer modeling that we have now, and the advances we've made, it's so much safer than it used to be that it's not even funny. There were quite a few test pilots in the early days that were killed or severely injured due to just not understanding the aeronautics required to do what they were trying to do. Now, we have test programs where every single flight of the program is flown in the simulator before the aircraft is even powered on for the first time. And frequently the simulations are worse than the actual tests.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I feel I've chosen wisely with my masters degree then lol.

Now I just need to come up with a research project that gets me an NDA call and then somehow spin it so that I'm appointed a Master of the Universe.... it sounds so easy when it's all laid out like that. *cough*

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

It always sounds so much easier when you plan it out. Never seems to go that way though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join