It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ebola doctor has contracted the ebola virus

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Thain Esh Kelch

He wasn't "in the field" - and he wasn't "the top doctor in West Africa," either. He came late to the fight -in a Sierra Leone hospital- and suited up carefully with HUGE paranoia. Despite the misinformation, disinformation and pure bs provided by the Financial Times et al. But yeah, maybe he contracted it when getting his suit off. Still, seems to me it's just responsible to acknowledge all the possibilities in the absence of actual facts instead of relying on dogma and assumption.

The head doctor fighting Ebola disease in Sierra Leone became a victim of the virus

Sierra Leone's Health Minister Miatta Kargbo called Khan a "national hero," lamenting the fall of yet another health worker to the deadly virus.
…….Khan is far from the only medical worker succumbing to ebola-- the World Health Organization has reported that around 100 workers have contracted ebola, about half of which have died in recent months.

Khan had been explicit in interviews about the fears he had for his life. Explaining that he had installed a mirror in his office specifically to check for any ruptures in his protective medical gear, he told Reuters: "I am afraid for my life, I must say, because I cherish my life... Health workers are prone to the disease because we are the first port of call for somebody who is sickened by disease. Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk."

a reply to: SubTruth

My point is that you are confusing rubbernecking with empathy.

Traits are inherent. ...Empathy comes from an inherent nature to "care" about things, to put it in laymen terms for you. Not everyone has this trait.

Eugenics-genetics anyone? ...Ever heard of neuroplasticity SubTruth?

Neuroplasticity has replaced the formerly-held position that the brain is a physiologically static organ, and explores how - and in which ways - the brain changes throughout life.

MORE

“Epigenetics” is a new field arising from the discovery that gene function can change and be inherited even if the underlying DNA does not change. The most astonishing implication of this discovery is that the recent decoding of the human genome, originally heralded as an historic milestone, has now been rendered as merely a small first step in the larger issue of understanding how genes work in human beings.

....“neuroplasticity“, ...refers to changes in the structure of the brain due to experience. The very act of thinking and learning makes physical changes to the brain, and this does not stop when children’s brains mature as was thought earlier.

edit on 25/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/7/14 by soficrow because: BIG ooops - linked wrong person, post

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

There are so many possibilities, I don't feel I have the correct background or enough information about this situation to venture an even moderately-educated guess. In the back of my mind, I had sort of envisioned the infection as a simple by-product of exposure via open wound or mouth/eyes. But the possibilities brought to light by those responding to this thread are beyond disturbing, particularly a mutation. How do you think this was transmitted? This is something I definitely need to read about more - I'd appreciate your analysis, as I've taken in quite a bit about prions through your posts and have learned a lot from your commentary.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: chasingbrahman

....I don't feel I have the correct background or enough information about this situation to venture an even moderately-educated guess. ....I'd appreciate your analysis

Thank you. ...I've been posting on this Ebola epidemic since March and the following threads are chock-full of non-sensationalized information as well as snippets of my analysis. Feel free to read them and get back to me with any questions you may have.

Ebola reported in Lagos, Nigeria, Megacity of 21 Million People

Ebola Epidemic Could Become Global Crisis

Ebola Airborne? Spreads From Pigs to Monkeys Without Contact

Ebola: Bio-Terrorism for Corporate Economic Control?

Ebola Outbreak Too Big For the WHO to Handle

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Likely he stuck a syringe through a glove. Its a scarcely common accident and one you don't even notice half the time.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Likely he stuck a syringe through a glove. Its a scarcely common accident and one you don't even notice half the time.

Could you explain that better?
Meaning he stuck himself with it accidentally?

Also came across this on my news feed this morning and thought about this thread.. here we go
Ebola virus kills senior doctor in Liberia

www.foxnews.com...

I think its the same guy and yes he has just died
sad....

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx
Yeah accidental

It a extremely common lab accident when handling syringes.

One miss step and the bloody things go right through your gloves.
Happened a few times in the labs I worked at once with HIV on one poor sod. If your deep in concentration then you just dont notice especially if its only a little prick.

If your in the centre of a out of control out break under extreme stress? Mistakes will happen.

Theres a reason I only ever qualified up to Cat 3 pathogens and never went into Cat 4's and this is why, mistakes land you in a box real quick!

edit on 27-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: starfoxxx
Yeah accidental

It a extremely common lab accident when handling syringes.

One miss step and the bloody things go right through your gloves.
Happened a few times in the labs I worked at once with HIV on one poor sod. If your deep in concentration then you just dont notice especially if its only a little prick.

If your in the centre of a out of control out break under extreme stress? Mistakes will happen.

Theres a reason I only ever qualified up to Cat 3 pathogens and never went into Cat 4's and this is why, mistakes land you in a box real quick!

Well, I don't know more about this guy but I for sure will remember him for the day and his passing..
Seemed to go quick which having ebola would be a good thing..

This guy since we found out lasted a whole 8-9 days....

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm still more worried of it's ability to transfer by animals. I think we're lucky in that it, so far does not look like fleas can be a reservoir species. The moment it does we're all looking at some major trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join