It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO over Mount Washington in 1870

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
A photograph showing a strange, cigar-shaped object over the top of Mount Washington showed what appeared to be an alien spacecraft - in 1870.

Debate has reignited this week over what may be among the oldest evidence of alien visitors to our world.

The picture, taken with a stereo photography camera (used at the time to create images with an illusion of depth, when viewed through a special stereoscope) is thought to be near-impossible to fake or manipulate.

Expert analysts have recently come up with new theories of the origin of the strange craft - but agree that the image is real, dated correctly and not manipulated.

Found this article on Yahoo mail today. Hope it hasn't been posted already...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Looks cool,...
The object must have stayed completely motionless for the photos to be so clear... that is my only comment...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
if you copy the image to paint and cut one side out and move it the other way round, then use your finger to make your eyes crossed you can look at the image (till you see 3) and focus on the middle one, you can force the stereo images into 3d.

As for the actual pic, doesnt much look like a UFO and more like a fault on the camera - however the fact a stereo camera and therefore two actual lenses mean that that is unlikely. pretty interesting and no i dont this has been posted by anyone yet.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kuraijanai2013

Would you mind posting the link to the article so that we all can have a look? Thank you.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

I've dealt with more stereoscopic images than I care to remember.

This is what you look through, the stereoscope;

Certainly, considering the two lenses on the camera, the image rules out water/condensation and the like on a singular lens.

It does not, however, rule out the inevitable bug or moth, or any other insect not previously described.

Looking at the image(s), I'm thinking sufficiently slow shutter speed, could be a snow flake.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
Here you are...
uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

It was a piece of wood in a snow drift iirc. The image was sourced from a book wherein it was clearly labelled and entered into the ufological Hall of Fame as an early example of a UFO.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Here are a hi-res version:

upload.wikimedia.org...< br />

edit on 23-7-2014 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
looks like this eve-online ship, the naga

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

That is similar looking shape and color wise what i saw few days ago, flying cross the sky and flashing or pulsating brightness all over its size.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I wonder how long the shutter was open when the picture was being taken. Could it be something moving in front of the camera (maybe even relatively close to the camera) that looks elongated due to long exposure/motion blur?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
if you copy the image to paint and cut one side out and move it the other way round, then use your finger to make your eyes crossed you can look at the image (till you see 3) and focus on the middle one, you can force the stereo images into 3d.

As for the actual pic, doesnt much look like a UFO and more like a fault on the camera - however the fact a stereo camera and therefore two actual lenses mean that that is unlikely. pretty interesting and no i dont this has been posted by anyone yet.

A bit of cut and pasting and you can use it with desktop PC 3D vision glasses.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Its definitely NOT a bird or an insect . If it were you would definitely see the fish fin effect caused by the wings beating faster than the shutter speed of the camera.

So I guess its still a UFO .

I wonder when the " Looks like CGI to me " idiots will make an appearence ?
edit on 23-7-2014 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2014 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Here it is a little closer up with the original colors, making it clearer that it was a folding ruler in a snowbank, not an airship in clouds. Images swapped left-to-right, for cross-eyed stereo viewing:

If you care to do more research, there is a complete set of photos on the Internet showing other images from the expedition. It's not a mystery.

edit on 23-7-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Now that I can see what the image is, someone inverted the colors. Here's the original:

And the close-up that was posted earlier:

What it is is a type of folding ruler. Closest one would be top-right in this image:

The full story can be read here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or other places around ATS or the interwebs.

So, it's not a "UFO" since it's not unidentified, and it's not flying. It's a folding ruler laying in the snow.

link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Utter rubbish.

link   
a reply to: Gideon70

So I guess its still a UFO .

Nope , Kandinsky has already told you what it is , the picture has been posted and discussed several times here and it is a piece of wood in a snow drift.

I wonder when the " Looks like CGI to me " idiots will make an appearence ?

That would be silly given the age of the picture.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gideon70
Utter rubbish.

Here's another 3-D photo taken at the same time. Note the piled up, windblown snow looking very cloud-like. (Free-view 3-D stereo)

edit on 23-7-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Now that I can see what the image is, someone inverted the colors. Here's the original:

And the close-up that was posted earlier:

What it is is a type of folding ruler. Closest one would be top-right in this image:

The full story can be read here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or other places around ATS or the interwebs.

So, it's not a "UFO" since it's not unidentified, and it's not flying. It's a folding ruler laying in the snow.

wow does seeing that make me feel old.

I used folding wooden rulers in school!

top topics

join