It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To The Catholics of ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Because there aren't "bouncers" at the entrance to a Catholic Church who rough up people and say, "Are You a MASON?"

haha that made me chuckle

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

I'm serious.. I thought you of all people could direct me to those parts of the Bible and show me that what you said is in fact correct... If Catholics are teaching their followers what you said, it must be a confirmed fact from the Bible. Please show me where it is.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

What does have a heartbeat is the imposter religion that has been rising in the West for decades. I like to call people like you the Sheep led to the Slaughter... You think your aloud to sleep with God and the Devil at the same time, you keep believing that, It's what makes you a good Christian.

Look this thread is about Catholics and there views, you may not agree with those views but this thread is not about arguing and proving yourself right! it is about asking and waiting for an answer.
The above comment you made is nothing but insulting to a lot of good people and has no place in this thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
blah blah off topic personal insults against T&C ... The author wants to know what the CATHOLIC church teaches and what CATHOLICS think. You aren't Catholic and you are clueless about Catholicism (and worse - you buy into Islamic fiction.) Bu-bye.

Maybe you can answer the questions I proposed to adjensen and clear this up for me because I don't know nothing about Catholicism and the Bible. Thanks...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JokerThe1st

Look this thread is about Catholics and there views, you may not agree with those views but this thread is not about arguing and proving yourself right! it is about asking and waiting for an answer.
The above comment you made is nothing but insulting to a lot of good people and has no place in this thread.

Well, I felt insulted and that was my reaction.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Well maybe a bit of self control should be exercised then. be the better person and don't exchange in insults. (yes we are all guilty of this at times)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Well maybe a bit of self control should be exercised then. be the better person and don't exchange in insults. (yes we are all guilty of this at times)

I am sorry to you and your thread... From now on I'll just ask questions that don't get answered.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
OK lets get another one going

How do you guys view :

The Devil
Lucifer
Satan

To me these 3 beings/names/archetypes hold very different meanings.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
Well, I felt insulted and that was my reaction.

Not buying it. From the first page it was only YOU doing the insulting.

If Catholics are teaching their followers what you said, it must be a confirmed fact from the Bible. .

Catholics have scripture AND sacred tradition.
So no .. it doesn't 'have to be confirmed fact in the bible'.
Your ignorance about Catholicism is showing again.
Go play elsewhere.

"Not 100 people in the United States hate the Roman Catholic Church, but millions hate what they mistakenly think the Roman Catholic Church is.” Archbishop Fulton Sheen
edit on 7/24/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

The Devil, Lucifer, Satan

One in the same.

Catholic Beliefs on The Devil

Based on the teaching and example of Jesus (Mt 4:1-11; 12:22-30; Mk 1:34; Lk 10:18; 22:31; Jn 8:44), the Catholic Church has always held that the devil is real, not a mythical personification of evil. The Fourth Lateran Council (1215), in its decree condemning the Manichaean dualism of the Catharists, taught that "the devil and the other evil spirits were created good in nature, but they became evil by their own actions."

The Church's teaching on the subject is clear from its liturgy. At baptism, those to be baptized are called upon to reject Satan, his works, and his empty promises. The Church provides an official rite of exorcism, which presupposes, of course, the existence of Satan.

A real entity. There are also demons who are lesser spirits than the Devil himself but who are also pure evil.

Catechism of the Catholic Church on The Devil and Demons

EWTN Library - Is There Really A Devil?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

If Catholics are teaching their followers what you said, it must be a confirmed fact from the Bible. . Catholics have scripture AND sacred tradition. So no .. it doesn't 'have to be confirmed fact in the bible'.
Your ignorance about Catholicism is showing again. Go play elsewhere.

No, your ignorance of the teachings in the Bible is showing, you don't make up the rules, if what adjensen said is correct, then it should be a teaching that came from the Bible which confirms the practices and believes of Catholics. The Bible comes first, not you and your traditions.... So show me where Sex before Marriage and Homosexuality are on par through the teachings of the Bible? It must be in there somewhere because you know all about the Bible and I trust you's have read it in there. I don't see why it's so hard to cite.
edit on 24-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And what traditions are they?

Catechism of the Catholic Church
Go read and get educated. All topics in Catholicism. What the Catholic church teaches and why it teaches it. Go read ... knock yourself out. It should take you a month or two to go through it. And another six months for it to sink in. See you then ... bu-bye.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

And what traditions are they?

Go read and get educated. All topics in Catholicism. What the Catholic church teaches and why it teaches it. Go read ... knock yourself out. It should take you a month or two to go through it. And another six months for it to sink in. See you then ... bu-bye.

Already read it a long time ago...

1935 The equality of men rests essentially on their dignity as persons and the rights that flow from it:

Every form of social or cultural discrimination in fundamental personal rights on the grounds of sex, race, color, social conditions, language, or religion must be curbed and eradicated as incompatible with God's design.

So they disagree with the Bible when it comes to homosexuality?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My god you are thick.

No, your ignorance of the teachings in the Bible is showing, you don't make up the rules,

I am exceptionally well read when it comes to Catholicism. You admit you are clueless. You are in NO position to tell anyone that they are 'ignorant of the teachings'. And yes, the Catholic church believes it does indeed have the authority to decide the rules. Their interpretation of Matthew 16:18-19 state that Jesus gave full authority of His church to the Peter and then through apostolic succession the authority was passed down.

It's already been discussed. Read the thread and stop trolling.

The Bible comes first, not you and your traditions....

Wrong. Catholicism has scripture AND sacred tradition. Together. They are equal in Catholicism. Evangelical Protestants do not have 'sacred tradition'. However Catholics do.

NOTHING you have said on this thread has been true. Not one damn thing.
Get off the thread and stop trolling.

edit on 7/24/2014 by FlyersFan because: typo

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JokerThe1st

I'm sorry that your thread has been hijacked and trolled. I hope the questions you had have been answered to your satisfaction. If you have any more questions, check the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Everything that Catholics believe, and why they believe it, is in that book. Interpretations of scripture and the sacred traditions - which in Catholicism go hand in hand - are there.

Some resources for you on Catholicism -

EWTN Library
You can search documents here.

Probably the easiest source for you -
Catholic Answers - Main topics

And there is always - 'Ask a Priest'
Found Here

You can get answers what the Catholic church believes straight from the church without the filter of human error and without pesky trolls interrupting your questions. I hope that is helpful.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The Devil
Lucifer
Satan

To me these 3 beings/names/archetypes hold very different meanings.

Well, the odd one out is Lucifer, who, contrary to popular belief, is not another name for Satan. That confusion arose mostly from Protestants, though it's common among all Christians -- the only reference to Lucifer in the Bible is in the book of Isaiah, and if you read it carefully, it is referring to the king of Babylon, not a supernatural being. One reason to make this note is that those who believe that Lucifer is Satan get alarmed when they learn that there is someone named Lucifer buried in the Vatican tombs (it was an uncommon name, but it was used up to a point,) and that the Vatican has a telescope named "Lucifer".

The Jewish view of Satan is very different than the Christian view -- to Jews (including, one presumes, Jesus,) Satan is not the enemy of God, he's one of his "helpers", being a tempter that helps people learn to choose right over wrong. This is born out in the New Testament -- Satan tempts Jesus in the wilderness, and Jesus calls Peter "Satan" when Peter tempts Jesus to not suffer and die on the cross. Satan being viewed as evil, the enemy of God (and man) and someone who tortures people in hell came from later Christian doctrine.

Personally, I've never been a believer in a real physical entity called the Devil or Satan. I think it more the personification of our own "inner demons" -- temptation, greed, anger, etc. This is not the view of the Catholic church, though, it's my own belief.

Good questions!

edit on 24-7-2014 by adjensen because: tag repair

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I'm serious.. I thought you of all people could direct me to those parts of the Bible and show me that what you said is in fact correct... If Catholics are teaching their followers what you said, it must be a confirmed fact from the Bible. Please show me where it is.

Why? You said that you think that the Bible is a work of fiction. A "fairytale", I believe you called it.

As FlyersFan has told you, the answer to your question is found in the Catechism of the Catholic church. She has provided you with a link to an online version, and I would suggest that you read it. I'm not going to do your homework for you, particularly when you don't want to learn, you just want to argue out of ignorance.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

Well, the odd one out is Lucifer, who, contrary to popular belief, is not another name for Satan. That confusion arose mostly from Protestants, though it's common among all Christians -- the only reference to Lucifer in the Bible is in the book of Isaiah, and if you read it carefully, it is referring to the king of Babylon, not a supernatural being.

I believe the original 'Satan' (adversary) of Yahweh or an Adversary to Israel can be anyone, to me this is nothing more than a description of someone against 'God' . i think there is a connection to this description and Samael of Jewish tradition.
If memory serves me right Samael was attributed with being the snake of Eden and some other naughty stuff.
The problem i find is when one looks into Gnostic works, this very same Samael is also called Yaldaboath and Saklas the demiurge.
As far as The Devil goes your statement i could very well agree with.

Does the church teach the truth of what Lucifer means or do they tend to stick with the fallen angel stuff ?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It's OK it is the nature of people to bash other beliefs and this is an exercise of learning, hopefully not just for me but for others to. I started the thread like with the Freemasonry Thread to dispel and remove misunderstanding about the people that make up the organization and the organization itself, I knew when i wrote it there was going to be some problems.

Thank you for all the information and links, will be some good reading there

Come on guys and girls don't be shy there must be more Catholics on ATS that have opinions, please add to the discourse.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Does the church teach the truth of what Lucifer means or do they tend to stick with the fallen angel stuff ?

The Catholic church?

They don't really teach anything about Lucifer, apart from noting that the name refers to Venus and is applied to the King of Babylon. Catholic Encyclopedia: Lucifer

As for Satan, here's the Catechism on the subject, which is pretty standard Christian fare: Catechism: satan and hell

edit on 24-7-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join