It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Can God create a rock..."

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
a reply to: SlapMonkey

we, as the rightful heirs to the will of God almighty,

Whoa, I thought we were the receivers of, according to the bible, the gift of free will. This is why religion and I don't get a long: We have free will, but are supposedly extorted into serving a god or we have an eternity of damnation (if one follows the bible...and yes, I know I've over-simplified the bible, but that the bottom-line gist of it).

That's not much free will--and if god's will controls everything, then the notion of free will is just a carrot dangled in front of a hungry humanity. Not cool, religion...not cool.

Sorry, you touched on a pet peeve of mine. We don't need to start a debate on it, as I've been through an uncountable number of them in my life, but just had to share my thoughts. This is not an attack on you or your beliefs, just a major contradiction that I see in most religions that is never rectified to my satisfaction.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

When I speak of God, I speak of a god of perfection. Show me a god of perfection, and my submission will follow.
The God that many follow is an amalgam of the hopes and fears and dreams and nightmares of a primitive soul.
Virtue awaits us, but the journey is long.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

"When he tried to make Christian rock that didnt go so well."

Yes. I don't recall God saying "Let there be rock."

"Anyway the answer to the riddle is yes if he perminently or momentarily gives up infinite powers then a rock can not be lifted."

But you have not solved the problem of the paradox. How can a perfect god suspend his perfection for a while?
To me that is perfectly unreasonable. That I because I (and you) as the mental infants that we are, cannot fathom perfect imperfection.
Give us a few more millennia and we will be on top of it.
I am smart enough to know just how smart I am not.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

"I agree it should be our job unless it proves to much for
us as, " Stumbling around in the dark" seems to indicate."

If we should stumble and fall, let's at least hope
that we fall forward.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: taoistguy

"if god is omnipotent, then she can make a horse that is not a horse."

"A horse is a horse, of course, a horse..."
- Mr. Ed.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Dear KrazyshOt,

"The problem with this paradox is that it asks if god can do earthly feats when the values you would need to obtain to accomplish this task exist on a universal or greater scale."

I am not here to argue the merits of God solving this paradox. I simply state that we are not yet advanced to the stage of reasonable comprehension. Clearly I acknowledge that any perfect intellect could easily chew up and spit out any meager paradox that we could offer. You and I are mere babbling (barbaric) infants in the realm of perfect reason.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

"You mean, like a Giraffe? According to the myths Adam and Eve rode a giraffe out of Eden. Almost like when the victorious steel-benders come riding their motorbikes all tattooed and reborn."

Now I understand the metaphor of surreal, desert bound giraffes in Salvador Dali's "The Temptation of St. Anthony".
The only thing missing is Marlon Brando on a Harley.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Primordial

"The only logical answer is that the god in question is not omnipotent."

It seems that you have come to take away the punch bowl.

Sometimes rational logic can be a real drag.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Dear Stormdancer,

"And the lord sayest, letith there be a rock heavier then i can lift so that I might create pulleys and levers."

Please forgive my insolence, but that is a rather feeble attempt at paradox slaying. The basic issue is whether or not God is able to do what God is not able to do. A true believer will undoubtedly say that it is possible. It is not (they say) for us to question the immaculate perfection and omnipotence of God.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

"....and we need to ask where rock comes from? From what can return it to the nothingness from which it has been grown from within.Simple Sound."

The cycle and rhythm of the stars lie deep within our souls. Each of us is a strand that weaves the fabric of the cosmos.
Truly we are one for all. We are that rock so heavy that God does not lift us. We lift ourselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

It's a good brain exercise though. I had to seriously think about how it works on scales to come to those conclusions.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
What happens when you put a mind capable of reasoning inside a brain that already has a mind that doesn't,

Just to answer the question above:

You get someone with your opinions.

I know that reality is much different than how you confront it. And how you confront it is with almost abject platitudes and a form of denial that is used part time on some things and full time on other things. (All that gleaned just from your post

I can read palms and tea leaves too, wanna see?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
God is the rock, therefore it is already where it needs to be.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Dont really know what the question is, but heres my answser.

Yes He can, but would He do it? Not being able to move the rock would mean He is not All-Powerfull, thus by creating said rock He would be destroying His own power.

Or something like that

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Although upon further thinking I would say YES he could and would (if needed).
Loss of All powerfullness(in respect of said rock), if you will, would only be a problem for vain creatures like ourselves.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Imagination is a powerful tool. With it the possibilities are endless.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Can God create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it? Yes.

Can he then lift that rock? Yes.

Why? Because he's God, and he doesn't have to make sense either.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Dmvr34

"Yes He can, but would He do it? Not being able to move the rock would mean He is not All-Powerfull, thus by creating said rock He would be destroying His own power."
Or something like that."

We must understand that God is an alien. God looks upon a paradox as a silly joke.

We are to God what Rover is to us. "Fetch, Rover!"

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The paradox has a quantum explanation.. God can make the rock infinitely heavy and infinitely
light both at the same time....

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
The paradox has a quantum explanation.. God can make the rock infinitely heavy and infinitely
light both at the same time....

Or to both be able to lift it and not be able to lift it at the same time.

Make two universes. In one universe, God acts like it's too heavy to lift.

In another universe, God acts like he can lift it.

Voila, he can do both, simultaneously.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join