It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Can God create a rock..."

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
a reply to: TzarChasm omnipotent means infinitely powerful if i remember right so why not a power to revoke ones own power? Even humans have that power.

because if he revokes his own power, that revokes the power to give that power back. besides, what situation would require him to lose his powers?
edit on 23-7-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

a reply to: TzarChasm omnipotent means infinitely powerful if i remember right so why not a power to revoke ones own power? Even humans have that power.

because if he revokes his own power, that revokes the power to give that power back. besides, what situation would require him to lose his powers?

so god is some 'being' that has 'powers'? like an x-man? lol

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: taoistguy

some gods match that description yes.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

what 'gods' ???

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

and i thought we were talking about 'God'???

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

and i thought we were talking about 'God'???

and leave out the other 999 gods in documented history? thats hardly fair. besides, the whole god thing was just an example of the actual topic, which is conundrums rooted in hubris. i'd say god revoking his own powers is a pretty nifty conundrum. and if he were to revoke his powers with the belief he could just undo it, i'd say thats a good example of hubris as well.

edit on 23-7-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

It does not have to come back but this god would be less of a god. Also the divine abilities can be stored externally able to return and the rock must be destroyed same time to avoid the paradox of the original question.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

i think you are just proud enough of yourself to leave yourself only that notion... this opinion of your own intelligence leaves you blind and lost...

im saying for God, all things are possible...

And that he exists outside of that which limits mankind...

So to judge him with the mind of a man,and to limit him to the options of a man, is arrogant, and rather foolish, He is the Almighty after all...

Glory be to God!

May you find a way to humble yourself, so he can begin to reveal himself to you... know it is you alone who prevents this...
edit on 23-7-2014 by 5StarOracle because: fix

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

It does not have to come back but this god would be less of a god. Also the divine abilities can be stored externally able to return and the rock must be destroyed same time to avoid the paradox of the original question.

i know of mortal ignorant people who are more godly than half the gods i read about on here. divine abilities mean squat to me if they just make you a superpowered asshole.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

"...And that he exists outside of that which limits mankind..."

This means that humanity is blind to the Truth. I think that we both agree on this conclusion. I think that you would say that our ignorance is the will of God, and that for us to seek all knowledge is arrogant and an affront to God.

I say we should strive to be God-like, in our knowledge and wisdom. We of course can never reach this apex of divine perfection, but I see no hubris in this ideal of human progression.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

"...And that he exists outside of that which limits mankind..."

This means that humanity is blind to the Truth. I think that we both agree on this conclusion. I think that you would say that our ignorance is the will of God, and that for us to seek all knowledge is arrogant and an affront to God.

I say we should strive to be God-like, in our knowledge and wisdom. We of course can never reach this apex of divine perfection, but I see no hubris in this ideal of human progression.

i will second this.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

So to judge him with the mind of a man,and to limit him to the options of a man, is arrogant, and rather foolish, He is the Almighty after all...

but he is perfectly fine to judge us by his standards. hypocrisy at its finest.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

"Ignorance only exists if there truly is something to know, and all evidence up through this exact moment in my life says that there is nothing to know concerning a religious "god" because there is no evidence that one (or more) exists."

I agree with your conclusion, but I have trouble with some of your terminology. Where you use "evidence", I would use "proof" (beyond a reasonable doubt). If someone says that the majesty and wonders of life are evidence of the existence of God, then they are correct: It is evidence, but it is hardly reasonable proof (to me). If a witness in a murder trial swears that the butler did it because he saw the crime play out in a dream, then once again, this is evidence, but it is not reasonable proof. Proof is evidence after it goes through the meat grinder of reason. Proof is subjective; I cannot say for a fact that that cloud looks like a dancing pony.

Finally, the main point of my thread is that we all are far more ignorant than gnostic. A true scientist will eagerly admit that we have just scratched the surface of understanding, and a religious believer sees the ultimate Truth as being locked away in a box called God.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If Tolkien is a god, then the other gods are in good company.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

"Then why haven't any of those amused, advanced, alien cultures turned the
damn light on for us? In all their benevolent comings and goings over an
apparent millenia?"

Maybe they feel that we are still at a stage where they think we are not much more worthy than primitive protozoa.
Also, I would guess that they believe that turning on our light is our job.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I'll see your second,
and I'll raise you a second.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

I agree it should be our job unless it proves to much for
us as, " Stumbling around in the dark" seems to indicate.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
if god is omnipotent, then she can make a horse that is not a horse.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
if god is omnipotent, then she can make a colour that is red yet also white.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

if god is omnipotent, then she can make a horse that is not a horse.

Evolution does the same thing when things evolve to a point where they can no longer be called the ancestor's species.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join