It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Can God create a rock..."

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The unmovable object and unstoppable force problem? If the dimensions of the force=object then they would just pass through each other, albeit a bit displaced. Their actual protons and electrons would never touch. Object would stay in place and force would roll on. If Force>Object same thing would happen, except the force might be turned inside out.
If Object>Force. force would simply go through the object. This just sounds right.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Hello again and thanks for the uplifting story.

You lived to see another day and another chance to honor Greatness.

I trust that your God is pleased when his children are happy.

Happiness, after all, is a supreme virtue.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

"So.... according to this logic, a human who could build a skyscraper is inferior to one who can only build a tent?
The man who can build something that surpasses him in physical context is seen as superior for this reason precisely. That he can out do himself.
So, supposedly God did this too, by giving humans free will....."

You seem to be putting irrational words in my mouth.
Furthermore, God supposedly built something that surpasses him(self) in physical context.

So your explanation is free will.
I am sure that that destroys the paradox.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
a reply to: combatmaster

"So.... according to this logic, a human who could build a skyscraper is inferior to one who can only build a tent?
The man who can build something that surpasses him in physical context is seen as superior for this reason precisely. That he can out do himself.
So, supposedly God did this too, by giving humans free will....."

You seem to be putting irrational words in my mouth.
Furthermore, God supposedly built something that surpasses him(self) in physical context.

So your explanation is free will.
I am sure that that destroys the paradox.

god only likes free will because it provides the illusion that we are not merely his pets and toys. otherwise, we'd do with him what we did with the english monarchy. The red coats are coming!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

According to religion we cant have free will, Not if the Bible is the true Word of God.

The Bible tells us what Our future is going to be like. This means that Our lives is like a role of film.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

According to religion we cant have free will, Not if the Bible is the true Word of God.

The Bible tells us what Our future is going to be like. This means that Our lives is like a role of film.

do you not believe in free will then?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Wow, I bet you never heard this one before, right? Of course you have: “If God is omnipotent, then can he create a rock that is so heavy that he can't lift it?

It's like asking, If God is omnipotent, then, can he create a square with 3 sides or can he create a triangle with four sides?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

No. You dont have free will you only have a free thought. God have set it in Our harts to do his will. If not the Word of God wont come true. "That is if the Bible is true".

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Titaniumberry

Wow, I bet you never heard this one before, right? Of course you have: “If God is omnipotent, then can he create a rock that is so heavy that he can't lift it?

It's like asking, If God is omnipotent, then, can he create a square with 3 sides or can he create a triangle with four sides?

...this hurts my head.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

No. You dont have free will you only have a free thought. God have set it in Our harts to do his will. If not the Word of God wont come true. "That is if the Bible is true".

one would think, given precedent cases where our lives were dictated by a single voice, we would rise up and claim our right to decide our own fates. if my will is not my own, there is no point to living because it is not me living, it is someone else living through me at my expense for their amusement. in my opinion, that is the exact opposite of love and kindness. that is arrogance and cruelty. we have thrown kings from our land in the past, and thrown dictators from others, why would we stop now. what makes this monarch any more worthy of commandeering our destinies?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a mythical being can create any imaginable thing you think it can, even a rock.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

one would think, given precedent cases where our lives were dictated by a single voice, we would rise up and claim our right to decide our own fates. if my will is not my own, there is no point to living because it is not me living, it is someone else living through me at my expense for their amusement. in my opinion, that is the exact opposite of love and kindness. that is arrogance and cruelty. we have thrown kings from our land in the past, and thrown dictators from others, why would we stop now. what makes this monarch any more worthy of commandeering our destinies?

The thing is you dont know that you are being guided.

You dont even have free will within Our society, You can not do what you want, become what you like and so on. You have to fallow the standards set for your society and its laws.

You are being told that you/we are the once who decide Our future and Our faith. But the truth is you dont. You shape the future of someone elses will. You are just a little working ant in a large system.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

You dont even have free will within Our society, You can not do what you want, become what you like and so on. You have to fallow the standards set for your society and its laws.

oh yes i do. every second i am awake is a second i am making a choice. i am consciously weighing my options and choosing the most satisfactory. that is free will. i balance my reputation with my personal fulfilment. i am not afraid to look someone in the eye and tell them their idea of "superior" is BS and i will happily refrain from going into detail if they learn to leave my tastes alone as well. i dont like people who hide their insecurity by pretending they own me.

You are being told that you/we are the once who decide Our future and Our faith. But the truth is you dont. You shape the future of someone elses will. You are just a little working ant in a large system.

ha. i dont believe that. i believe our destinies are an accumulation of all the choices we have ever made. and i believe that we always have the power to choose. its way too easy to just say everything is predetermined and give up on trying because theres no point in steering. that is submissive and cowardly. you are effectively someones female dog if you catch my drift. and you let it happen? no no no. it is impressed upon us from day one that freedom is an essential right. divine authority is no reason to change that anymore than the aliens from war of the worlds.
edit on 15-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I understand why you think you have free will. You dont know what free will really is. Because you have never been free. Non of us have.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I understand why you think you have free will. You dont know what free will really is. Because you have never been free. Non of us have.

then what do you believe free will is? give me some examples of it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Titaniumberry

"It's like asking, If God is omnipotent, then, can he create a square with 3 sides or can he create a triangle with four sides?"

Are you able to transcend this rational paradox, or do you just accept God's omnipotence without question?

Do you in fact question the mysteries of God?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

"God is the rock, therefore it is already where it needs to be."

So, does this resolve the paradox in your mind?

Perhaps there is no such thing as a paradox.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

"The unmovable object and unstoppable force problem? If the dimensions of the force=object then they would just pass through each other, albeit a bit displaced. Their actual protons and electrons would never touch. Object would stay in place and force would roll on. If Force>Object same thing would happen, except the force might be turned inside out.
If Object>Force. force would simply go through the object. This just sounds right."

Is this your way of saying that God can do something that he cannot do?

This is like angels dancing on the head of a pin.

The problem is that we humans are mentally feeble and not yet able to banish the paradox.

God must surely be laughing at our ineptness.

Is there anyone who is not quite so ignorant as myself?

(This of course is a fairly ignorant question.)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

"According to religion we cant have free will, Not if the Bible is the true Word of God."

God has granted us free will, which is preordained and inviolable.

We are free because God has allowed us to submit to his will.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

"god only likes free will because it provides the illusion that we are not merely his pets and toys. otherwise, we'd do with him what we did with the english monarchy. The red coats are coming!"

Whoa! Even I don't shake my fist at the sky!

Maybe that's because I fear the wrath of Gaea, or Zeus, or Poseidon, or the Spaghetti Monster.

But it is not unreasonable that I might get struck by a bolt of lightning.

That's why I throw some salt over my shoulder.

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join