It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Can God create a rock..."

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Big Bang!!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: WarminIndy
Oh, the Biblical definition of faith isn't just believing even if you don't see. Faith comes by hearing. You develop faith after investigation and study. Faith is built on knowledge.

You don't have to see it to believe it, but that doesn't mean not to study what you hear.

um, faith is literally the opposite of knowledge.....so nice try, but no cigar.

Not to argue, but as a Christian who reads the Bible, the Biblical definition to me is that faith comes by hearing. The gift of faith is given after wisdom and knowledge.

Sure, it is better to have faith even though you don't see the whole picture, but it is better to have wisdom to know that eventually you will see the whole picture. Maybe other Christians are like that, but not me.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Oh, the Biblical definition of faith isn't just believing even if you don't see. Faith comes by hearing. You develop faith after investigation and study. Faith is built on knowledge.

You don't have to see it to believe it, but that doesn't mean not to study what you hear.

Not to argue, but as a Christian who reads the Bible, the Biblical definition to me is that faith comes by hearing. The gift of faith is given after wisdom and knowledge.

Sure, it is better to have faith even though you don't see the whole picture, but it is better to have wisdom to know that eventually you will see the whole picture. Maybe other Christians are like that, but not me.

Oh sorry, I generally rely on dictionaries for learning what words mean. You use a bible instead of a dictionary? Is that what you were taught to do in school?
edit on 29-8-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
God can not form a rock that he can not lift/carry. Because God cant create something that is more infinite than him self.

This would be the same as asking if God can create a New God that is just as infinite as he is.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Oh sorry, I generally rely on dictionaries for learning what words mean. You use a bible instead of a dictionary? Is that what you were taught to do in school?

As the OP asked the question from a Biblical perspective, then the Biblical perspective is what is appropriate.

Definition of faith...

faith
fāTH/Submit
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope
antonyms: mistrust
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Trust and confidence in someone or something. How can you trust or have confidence in someone or something you don't know anything about?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

As the OP asked the question from a Biblical perspective, then the Biblical perspective is what is appropriate.

Definition of faith...

faith
fāTH/Submit
noun
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Trust and confidence in someone or something. How can you trust or have confidence in someone or something you don't know anything about?

Faith.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Definition of faith...

faith
fāTH/Submit
noun

Faith.

Yes, to have faith means that you believe because you have trust and confidence in the one you know. Do you have trust and confidence in atheist scientists who offer nothing more than "have faith and believe there is no God"?

Do you have trust and confidence in science so much that you faithfully promote it?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Maybe God made the universe (The rock) couldn't move or do anything with it said "Oh Dear" and popped out of existence.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Yes, to have faith means that you believe because you have trust and confidence in the one you know. Do you have trust and confidence in atheist scientists who offer nothing more than "have faith and believe there is no God"?

science does not employ faith.

Do you have trust and confidence in science so much that you faithfully promote it?

science does not employ faith.

i see what you're trying to do. prove that theism is as good as science by proving that science is just as wobbly as theism is. i know exactly what game your playng here. good luck with that.
edit on 31-8-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

god is synonymous with anything that is unknown.

if god was a molecular physicist, then it is possible.
if god was a astronomical engineer, then it possible.

I can move a rock with sound.
eg: put a rock on top of a speaker, turn your music up loud (preferably Led Zeppelin) and the rock will move.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

"You don't have to see it to believe it, but that doesn't mean not to study what you hear."

To study is to question. Is your mind open to the possibility that your God is not real?

Does your mind answer to your heart?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

"god is synonymous with anything that is unknown."

This statement is the most reasonable assertion of fact that I have ever encountered.

God is inscrutable, and his will is unfathomable.

Those who speak for God speak the language of blasphemy.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

"You don't have to see it to believe it, but that doesn't mean not to study what you hear."

To study is to question. Is your mind open to the possibility that your God is not real?

Does your mind answer to your heart?

Yes, hear, study, question, learn. How do you assume I came by the knowledge of God?

Do you assume I was indoctrinated? Do you assume my parents were the white bread, vanilla, middle-class Christian conservatives that home school and drove us to soccer games in the SUV while listening to popular Christian artists on the radio? Is that what you assume?

Far from it. My father was a raging, Schizophrenic alcoholic that was untreated. We were not the type of family that even displayed Christianity. I have family members that are atheist, agnostic and even Celtic Pagan. Of the nine children in my family, only 4 are Christian to some degree. No one could say we were indoctrinated or brainwashed, because of us 4 who are, came to be Christians in various ages of adult life.

Please don't assume anything about Christians, because a lot of Christians are in name only and don't really believe. I had to find those questions that I had about God and about life and why good children are subject to bad, neglectful and abusive parents.

Let me tell you about how I came to know the reality of God, it was when He saved my life from a burning house. That's when I believed because it was an experience that shook my being to the core. I had to cry out in the middle of all the smoke and flames at 4:15 AM, January 16, 1999. I almost died. My roof almost fell on me, but the moment that I finally prayed and said "God, if you are real, then save me" and that's when He did. That was not an hallucination.

I struggled for a very long time as a young person to believe in God and to even believe that God loved me, if He were real. My dog died, in the very place I was saved from. No fireman saved me, because they hadn't even made it there yet. I couldn't see where I was at, I couldn't move from the spot I was in, the smoke and flames had me pinned in. But then after I prayed that simple prayer, a man held up my ceiling long enough for me to crawl out.

When the fire department got there they asked me how I got out, because the ceiling had crashed in. I went to the hospital with some raised levels of carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation, but my dog was dead and the firemen who carried it out said it was in the bathroom, that is where I was at.

I know that this may be too fantastical for you to believe, but that is how I came to know God in His reality. I am sitting here typing to you, my life allowed to go on.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

To my thinking, that experience is not conclusive in any way. But I do thank you for sharing your experience with us.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

So.... according to this logic, a human who could build a skyscraper is inferior to one who can only build a tent?

The man who can build something that surpasses him in physical context is seen as superior for this reason precisely. That he can out do himself.

So, supposedly God did this too, by giving humans free will.....

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

To my thinking, that experience is not conclusive in any way. But I do thank you for sharing your experience with us.

If I had left out the fire, but only told you about the first part, would you consider that I was not indoctrinated? I see, because you weren't there then you don't have to believe it. But you could still assume that we are all indoctrinated, why is that?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

If I had left out the fire, but only told you about the first part, would you consider that I was not indoctrinated? I see, because you weren't there then you don't have to believe it. But you could still assume that we are all indoctrinated, why is that?

Um...no. your experience is not conclusive proof or even really evidence of a god. Full stop. I don't mean to dismiss the personal significance of it, but it really does nothing for science. Your house was on fire, you prayed, a mysterious man saved you. That gives us nothing but an enigma that could easily be explained by terror and a helpful hobo or whatever.
edit on 31-8-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Um...no. your experience is not conclusive proof or even really evidence of a god. Full stop. I don't mean to dismiss the personal significance of it, but it really does nothing for science. Your house was on fire, you prayed, a mysterious man saved you. That gives us nothing but an enigma that could easily be explained by terror and a helpful hobo or whatever.

ROFL, helpful hobo. Nope, you didn't ask where I lived or even the weather conditions.

Terror, yes, you would be too if you were trapped in a burning house, however, of all the times that you have been terrified, have you ever hallucinated?

Weather conditions were 36 inches of snow and ice, it was January in Ohio. No hobos in my little city. And how many hobos are tall enough to hold up a 10 foot ceiling? Someone surely would have known about a guy that tall. 4:15 AM, in the morning, my home was locked because my husband was at work, I was alone in the house.

I know what I saw. Don't psychoanalyze me because you aren't the professional to do it. I was asleep prior to this and was awakened by the dog. He was alerting me to the fact that there was smoke. The smoke alarm didn't even go off because the fire went behind the wall and melted it from behind.

The firemen said it was a miracle I got out, because it took more than seven minutes. I had to get dressed first because there was no way I was going to go out in a panic in that weather and not be dressed in something. I am not usually the kind who panics, even all the times I have been in situations not one time have I panicked. I also don't hallucinate. I also don't get anxiety.

I know what I saw. Don't believe me if you don't want, but please, don't try to pass it off as something else just because you can't believe it.

Really? A hobo?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I was being funny with the hobo thing. And yes, that's certainly a strange tale. But maybe, just maybe...it was aliens.

...I'm only half kidding.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I was being funny with the hobo thing. And yes, that's certainly a strange tale. But maybe, just maybe...it was aliens.

...I'm only half kidding.

LOL, aliens.

I get that you are trying to be funny. It made me laugh.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join