It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians are polite? Yeah right! Try Canadians are rude!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
a reply to: beezzer

Oh beezzer.
We are your evil over-lords, you just don't realize it.

I knew it!!!!

Sitting there, between the rest of the world and Santa Claus!

(all hail our evil over-lords)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Your beer is just a disguise to fool the rest of humanity!

Eh?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Alright,you got us.

Pst! Hey Jacygirl, I think Beezzer knows ....
Abort mission, I repeat, abort mission "beer keg".

edit on 23/7/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Oh beezzer.

I knew it!!!!

Now you're talking! I take it you're sick of getting that lump of coal every year, huh?

You don't have to 'bow', but it might increase your chances of getting off the 'naughty' list.

Merci,
jacy

Edit: Rainbow..."Roger that...I repeat, Roger that!"
*sigh* "Mission beer key has been aborted. Instructed to divert to mission hocky stick. Over."
edit on 23-7-2014 by jacygirl because: Roger

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Oh beezzer.

I knew it!!!!

Now you're talking! I take it you're sick of getting that lump of coal every year, huh?

You don't have to 'bow', but it might increase your chances of getting off the 'naughty' list.

Merci,
jacy

We don't get coal anymore in the US.

We get a certificate for a carbon credit countersigned by Al Gore.

But a new bicycle would be nice.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Canadians.

(AKA Those-That-Have-Round-Bacon)

We don't have round bacon here, I must find some to taste it!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spationaute

Canadians.

We don't have round bacon here, I must find some to taste it!

Don't do it!

(that's how they get you!)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I read the title of the thread and wondered if you stumbled on an American transplant calling themselves Canadian.

Then upon reading, I see she was from Quebec. Ohhhhh, that explains everything. Those displaced French folk aren't real Canucks, even we here in the Tourist Trap State know that
To be frank, Floridians prefer an influx of people from NY or NJ over French Canadians, they're that notoriously rude & insufferable (and I've yet to meet a French Canadian tourist who isn't)

Now, the rest of Canuckistan, we love you folks. Really, really love you! You're the most pleasant, polite, happy-go-lucky people & we love having you down here. Your bacon might just be round ham slices, but you have hockey, real beer, and maple syrup. That's the trifecta of awesome

edit on 7/23/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Can honestly say 99% of the time Canadians are just amazingly helpful to confused American tourists. Went to Quebec and it was a riot! Had to go to a Grocery store and WOW! Let the games begin....the store clerk pretended to not speak english after I'd been listening to her chat with a coworker for 15 min in english, patiently waiting to ask her a question.

Heeheehee...she turned to me and rattled off some french. I pointed out I was a confused tourist, and knew she spoke english fluently, so if she wouldn't mind helping me find the orange sherbet? I instead got MORE rapid fire french. OK....so my response was " No Hablis Espanole!!" Beaming her my best smile.

Her...something-something in french...

Me....Taco

Her....something-something in french

Me...Canada is legally bi-lingual, I saw that in a Dan Akroyd movie....ENCHILADA!!! Bon Ton jolie!!

Her....Machinegun french, huffed and straightened her shirt

Me....grinning.....gastrique! belize! Merci boucoup' !! Where's your manager???!!

This went on for like 20 minutes till an actual manager wandered over cause I was getting louder and more enthusiastic with this new word game. Turns out apparently Quebec has no orange sherbet...anywhere!! Who knew? I was so shocked. So I left with some ice cream. It was one of the BEST times I had during our visit...I'm sure that clerk hates me with a white hot passion. She didn't seem to appreciate the humor.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
By the way, what's the deal with the flashing red lights at intersections? I found out eventually it means turn left with caution, but jeeze! I must have pissed off 1/2 of Etobicoke!! Yup...there was excessive horn honking at my dumb self.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I want to go to Nova Scotia!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So pissed right now, but i guess i should be used to it, kind of reminds me the times i was berated and told to speak white in this day and age, good old wasp playing the victim game since forever.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Canadians.

Common sense would tell us that they are no more polite or arrogant than any other people on the planet.

But I am unfettered by the constraint of common sense.

Canadians are strange. They play games on frozen water with sticks. They say, "Aboot" all the time. They end every sentence with the word, "Eh". Their bacon is wrong and have a strong affection towards the cold weather and maple syrup.

Subsequently, the only possible logical conclusion that I can come to, is that they are aliens.

Back Bacon is way more Canadian than this alleged round bacon.

We love Bob & Doug McKenzie, they are some awesome hosers

Murica loves to play games on frozen water with sticks too. They just don't want to play Lacrosse, which if you ask me is more bad ass than hockey.

"Eh" is better than "Ya'll" any day :p

Plus our beer isn't colored water.

You're just jealous that some of the best comedians and musicians are Canadian

((All of what I said is in good fun btw))

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Lol, one of my teachers had a similar experience.
She had gone their on vacation and was in a coffee shop. She was speaking English to the staff because they were speaking English. Once she had ordered her stuff the staff started to mock her in French & call her some nasty names. Once she got her stuff she said in perfect French "You guys were quite rude and should be lucky I don't tell your manager on you"

They had assumed that she couldn't speak French but most of her family is from Quebec so she can speak French perfectly and can even speak proper French (France French)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm really disgusted at what you people say about Quebec.

Almost speechless.

Separatists should see all the racist, prejudice and subjective bullcrap you've been regurgitating, hell, just when I was finally trying to think that the Canadian vs Quebec ideas we're long gone and that we should look forward.

I've been living in the states, other provinces and now live in Quebec and I really don't understand why all this hate and prejudices you have.

I'm sorry that you have had to deal with a minority of assholes, maybe it's because you only met with older generations but I can assure you that this negative generalization you've been making for the past 3 pages are hurting me really bad because I really don't feel that it applies to the majority of french speaking Quebeckers.

Although, I have heard that people in Ontario AUTOMATICALLY treat people with Quebec car licenses like crap, well maybe that's a good reason why you've had to deal with our bad side. Leave your prejudices behind, act respectfully like you would with any Canadian and then maybe we won't be rude.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cayrichard
As an anglo who lived in Quebec for many years, the French Canadian culture is different. It is my experience, if you make an effort to use French in Quebec you will be treated with respect. An anglo in Quebec receives more respect than a Quebecois in Ontario. I have been in a work environment in both Ontario and Quebec where it was in a management interfacing with union members. In Ontario I was an equal but was treated with hostility and animosity. In Quebec , I worked in areas where my French was so so but was treated with total respect. I understand that I am generalizing and other folks may have differing experiences. Just treat others the way you would like to be treated and maybe, and 90% of the time they will treat you the same way. USA, Ontario, Quebec it is all the same. For those of you who believe the political rhetoric that Canada is the greatest country in the world, travel and look around you. You might be surprised.

At least someone understands here and has first hand experience.

When you come to Quebec, even if your french is pathetic, try the to speak it best you can and even if you put a couple English words in your sentences nearly everyone will respect you.

Just don't expect to go in a non-touristic spot and only speak English and be respected as much than if you at least tried to speak french.
edit on 23-7-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

originally posted by: cayrichard
As an anglo who lived in Quebec for many years, the French Canadian culture is different. It is my experience, if you make an effort to use French in Quebec you will be treated with respect. An anglo in Quebec receives more respect than a Quebecois in Ontario. I have been in a work environment in both Ontario and Quebec where it was in a management interfacing with union members. In Ontario I was an equal but was treated with hostility and animosity. In Quebec , I worked in areas where my French was so so but was treated with total respect. I understand that I am generalizing and other folks may have differing experiences. Just treat others the way you would like to be treated and maybe, and 90% of the time they will treat you the same way. USA, Ontario, Quebec it is all the same. For those of you who believe the political rhetoric that Canada is the greatest country in the world, travel and look around you. You might be surprised.

At least someone understands here and has first hand experience.

When you come to Quebec, even if your french is pathetic, try the to speak it best you can and even if you put a couple English words in your sentences nearly everyone will respect you.

Just don't expect to go in a non-touristic spot and only speak English and be respected as much than if you at least tried to speak french.

I think a big part of it is how people dislike how the rest of the country is forced to learn French but in Quebec they aren't forced to learn English.

In all honesty, I have never met a nice person from Quebec (20 mean people 0 nice people). They've always been very stuck up & rude.

My Mom's best friend's husband is from Quebec. One day he had a bunch of us over & some of his friends from Quebec were visiting too. The people from Quebec refused to speak English, even though they knew it & made fun of anyone who tried to speak French to them, even the children. My Mom ended up taking us home because she couldn't stand how rude they were being. She told us "It's one thing for them to be rude to adults but to be rude to children is inexcusable" and I agree.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
I think a big part of it is how people dislike how the rest of the country is forced to learn French but in Quebec they aren't forced to learn English.

No actually, for the past 40 or so years, English is learned for 7 to 11 years in school to everyone and mandatory to get almost every diploma. Only the uneducated, the really old and the ignorant don't understand it.

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
In all honesty, I have never met a nice person from Quebec (20 mean people 0 nice people). They've always been very stuck up & rude.

I can assure you that younger generations (under 40~) are not like that. But I have witness your type of experience from baby boomers.
edit on 24-7-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Dear Mediator - let me tell you of my own experiences. I am an open minded person and have never believed any of what other Canadians have said in regards to putting down Quebecers.

I worked in a business with the headquarters based in one province but calling on similar business all across Canada. We had a phone set up where we could dial any province within Canada that would allow us to show that our call was coming from within the specific province we were calling. My phone didn't work. Any time I had to call Quebec and gave my spiel (and there was no reason for me to be disregarded as I was a vital member of the business and so it would be in their best interest to talk to me for their and their own clienteles' needs) I was immediately hung up upon the moment I opened my mouth. Because I was speaking English. I took French in school but never went past grade 10. I don't remember my French and there is no way I could have a conversation with the type of business I was involved in. In one instance I called back three times to this same business and was hung up on each time. The moment I had a co-worker call on my behalf that could speak French the call was handled without any problem.

In fact as I mentioned in my earlier reply in this thread my pre-Quebec coworkers even got fed up with the attitude. There was one day that my coworker called a Quebec business (we dealt with them on an every day basis) and for whatever reason she addressed them immediately in English. And she just kept going with the English. When the person on the other end asked if she could speak French she answered with no. But of course she knew French and she heard the person she was speaking to say to someone at their end, in French: "These stupid idiot English people can't speak French."

I had another coworker who tried so hard to speak French but it was tricky for this person and after stumbling along for a bit the person in Quebec said to this person, "I don't have to talk to you if you can't speak French," and hung up.

I could go on. The point is why is this attitude even necessary? Okay if you have a telemarketer calling and bugging you at dinner. But this is a reputable company that both my business and the French businesses HAD to work together for a specific clientele. It's business! Yes you are right - most are the older generation but there were instances of younger in there as well but just a sprinkling.

My family met with another family member and their family was French. They knew English - you couldn't even detect an accent. But they insisted on speaking French during the entire dinner, laughing and having their own conversations while my family sat in awkward silence feeling like they were being made fun of (and the one that kept initiating the French was 26). I'm sure that wasn't the case but this is how they felt.

So I have no wish to put anyone down but I'm just putting out my own personal experiences down. Now I will repeat: the French people are loving and a ball of fun and can cook up a storm of delectable wonders. But this whole French thing is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for. This is my own personal experience based on a professional and extremely visible business. So I just wonder why the holier-than-thou and hateful attitude is what I'm saying.

And I do apologize if I hurt your feelings, I do in all honesty feel sad if I hurt you.
edit on 24/7/14 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

P.S. I am in Alberta.
edit on 24/7/14 by ccseagull because: fixed one wrong word and added "Alberta

edit on 24/7/14 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
Separatists should see all the racist, prejudice and subjective bullcrap you've been regurgitating,

Truth isn't racist or prejudice ... and true personal stories about rude encounters with people from Quebec aren't 'subjective'. Quebec has a reputation for being snotty .. and they've earned it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join