It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenet calls for Internet security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Could this be the start or is the INTERNET unenforceable? I would think that the security holes in the net are one hell of an Intel source so it would seem detrimental to me.

By Shaun Waterman
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
Published December 2, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former CIA Director George J. Tenet yesterday called for new security measures to guard against attacks on the United States that use the Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."

"I know that these actions will be controversial in this age when we still think the Internet is a free and open society with no control or accountability," he told an information-technology security conference in Washington, "but ultimately the Wild West must give way to governance and control."

The former CIA director said telecommunications -- and specifically the Internet -- are a back door through which terrorists and other enemies of the United States could attack the country, even though great strides have been made in securing the physical infrastructure.

here I see the "backdoor as being a INTEL boon

The Internet "represents a potential Achilles' heel for our financial stability and physical security if the networks we are creating are not protected,"

He said known adversaries, including "intelligence services, military organizations and non-state actors," are researching information attacks against the United States.

Within the federal government, the Department of Homeland Security has the lead role in protecting the Internet from terrorism. But the department's head of cyber-security recently quit amid reports that he had clashed with his superiors.

and you dont think they "watch"

Mr. Tenet, who retired in July as director of the CIA after seven years, warned that al Qaeda remains a sophisticated group, even though its first-tier leadership largely has been destroyed.

It is "undoubtedly mapping vulnerabilities and weaknesses in our telecommunications networks," he said.

Mr. Tenet pointed out that the modernization of key industries in the United States is making them more vulnerable by connecting them with an Internet that is open to attack.

The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he said. Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes the system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

if it is open then, it is open both sides

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.

Mr. Tenet called for industry to lead the way by "establishing and enforcing" security standards. Products need to be delivered to government and private-sector customers "with a new level of security and risk management already built in."

The national press, including United Press International (UPI), were excluded from yesterday's event, at Mr. Tenet's request, organizers said.

www.washingtontimes.com...

[edit on 3-12-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.

So will we need a new type of official government 'Approved For Inet Access' card before we can sign up with an ISP?

Mr. Tenet called for industry to lead the way by "establishing and enforcing" security standards. Products need to be delivered to government and private-sector customers "with a new level of security and risk management already built in."

I agree, but someone needs to tell Bill....

The government SHOULD take an active stance on securing gov and biz sites, but they need to leave the rest alone. It's not theirs anymore, they have no right to tell the rest of us how to use it. (Other than spam of course!!
)

YEEEEE HAAAAW!!!!

Living on the Wild West Internet in Montana!!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I for one resist any attempt to "tame" the internet and as ed said they would be potentially shooting themselves in the foot. As for the comment that only "responsible" internet users be allowed access
talk about gestapo tactics, who gets to decide who gets on and who doesn't, geez its not like we're driving. Talk about lazy, when all is really needed is more education programs, it'll cost more but in the end it will be a boon to the world as a whole IMHO. I really really hope that this type of lunacy doesn't creep its way up north....

I agree with this for critical software components(ie OS, Email, Browsers, critical Internet infrastructer software & hardware etc) of course this only needs to apply to closed source as open source is well open and that is where I see software going in the future. FIREFOX RULEZ!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
When will terrorism stop being used as an excuse to spit on the US Constitution...

Let these people come foward with their facist idealism and see how they fare at the ballot box, rather than hiding behind the actions of muslim extremists.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
What a bunch of retards!!

Here's an idea. Why don't they take their 'Telecommunications Networks' and/or their other 'PRIVATE or MOSTLY PRIVATE' Potentually Insecure networks off the Net!!

It is so stupid to try and police the entire Internet when they could just create some other 'Private Network' that is Physically Different. They've waited too long to do this now. The web has become huge and to try and limit it now is going to be such a mess that it will never work. Super private data like Military, Communications, etc. should be using a different backbone that is completely separate from the Internet backbone being used now.

I love this:

Mr. Tenet pointed out that the modernization of key industries in the United States is making them more vulnerable by connecting them with an Internet that is open to attack.

Yeah, no sh*t pal!! So why not take everyone's financial history, military secrets, government mainframes and the rest of that super sensitive material and unhook it from the damn Web in the first place!!!

The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he said. Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes the system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

You don't say?!?!? Perhaps it isn't a problem in the way it was designed, but a problem in the way it's being used!! It was set up as a way of communicating in case other communications were not available. The idea was for it to be as Open and Flexible as possible, not the other way around!!

It would be so much more simple to just create another Small Private Set of Machines that can be Easily Secured and have that be the Network that ties all the Important Systems together. Then you can just leave this one alone. This is nothing more than an excuse to screw things up. Once again, they must step in and Restrict and Control somthing in the name of Security. Well, it was their stupid idea that sticking those systems on here in the first place would somehow be safe.

Networks are made for One Primary Reason: To share and communicate with other machines/networks. That will always be Insecure in some way. That is the nature of the 'Beast' and it's a fool who thinks he can fight it and win.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is all part of the coming dictatorship.

Get ready to read lots of books by candlelight.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
yeah. what mojom said. unhook YOURSELVES, you rat bastard commie/nazi gestapo excrement.

they coming for america, ed. oh wait, they took it already.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Article already posted on ATSNN news, see headlines. Just thought Id let ya know.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Is he calling for security or american control over it?

The internet need to be controlled by an internetional (UN, maybe) body, and not the yanks

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian
Article already posted on ATSNN news, see headlines. Just thought Id let ya know.

Tenet Calls For Internet Security/Control
Posted by: radiant_obsidian
On: Thu December, 2 2004 @ 20:56 GMT

edsinger
posted on 2-12-2004 at 18:22 Post Number:
1001266 (post id: 1023159)

This thread was first.....

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I agree, but someone needs to tell Bill....

Hehe...I think that got lost in his upteen million e-mails a day, hehe...

Hey Ed, you wanted this gestapo administration...be careful what you wish for...

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I wonder if they're going to try to keep the tinfoil hat crowd off. "Oh, sorry Mr. Jones, you're not permitted access to the Internet...." Talking about Alex Jones btw.

As they say knowledge is power.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Alex Jones is intersting but yet is also considered on the fringe, heck he could be a disinformation ploy himself.

top topics

join