It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any scotch drinkers in the house!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Seriously?

Look for spayside on the label, pretty much guaranteed a great taste.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I enjoy speysides scotch, but mclallan and all it's "varieties" suck. One of them is even called. mclallan speyside.

I quite enjoy speysides as well, but for what ever reason auchentoshan 3 wood sounded good to me. I know it's a lowlands style, but it just jumped in it's tasting notes... but I have never actually had it, or known anyone who has. I will go shopping the glass case tomorrow at about 2:15 (auchentoshan 3 wood is in the aisle, not anywhere near the case.)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I settled on Aberfeldy 21..... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

I settled on Aberfeldy 21..... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmm good choice sir, enjoy

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It's very nice, it's definitely a whisky for those who like whisky. Lots of subtlety, nothing in your face or over whelming.

Mildly sweet on the palate, oaky(as it should be), pleasant tastes of malt Pungent fresh malty, floral aroma, hints of honey and vanilla. Nice clean finish, excellent mouth feel, warm but doesn't burn on the way down.

A very nice dram, for those that like Whisky.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

The Glenlivet and Lagavulin are great peaty malts. The others I don't care for and would only drink to be polite.

Laphroaig (pron: lafroig) will knock your socks off...definitely an acquired taste and so peaty that it almost has an hospital scent. In general, the lowland malts are king in the world of whisky.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Be tempting to attend something like that .. would consider it if it held in scotland .. would say tokyo but the clubs I go to there dont allow foriegners in .. and thanks to my miscreant macaque been banned from the other clubs in tokyo ..

Scotland would be the best place for it! It would be great to have a whisky-fest for you all here, you'd all be welcome. (should be a quaich, but pint glass will do!)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Except, laphroaig and laguvulin are Islay.. And glen livet is a speyside and I would hardly consider peaty.

I think Glenlivet tastes grassy, fresh, hints of lemon and other citrus. Very thin texture, evaporates nicely. It was my first!

edit on 27-7-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I LOVE a good single malt. Haven't had a blend yet that blew my skirt up. And it really isn't "scotch". Bushmills is a damn good malt... from Ireland.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I LOVE a good single malt. Haven't had a blend yet that blew my skirt up. And it really isn't "scotch". Bushmills is a damn good malt... from Ireland.

I really dont think any blends are worth bothering with. They all have a confusing messy taste. Unless you dont have much money and are out for a meal, i dont think they are worth it what so ever.

Id seriously rather have a few more quid in my pocket than a glass of a blended. some are better than others sure, but crap like bells and jamesons - just avoid. Also not particularly a fan of american whiskeys like Jack Daniels.

But of course each to their own as they say, try it anyway, just dont rush out and buy any bottles till you tryed a glass.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? That's my favourite thing about single malts. I have 9 bottles now. All different.

I am going to be adding two more to the collection soon, one is the glen livet 21. The other 18 year old dalmore. I would buy the 21 but it's super expensive with out trying.... Super expensive, so 18 will do.

That or the Glendronach 18 or 21, I can afford either.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I am going to be adding two more to the collection soon, one is the glen livet 21. The other 18 year old dalmore. I would buy the 21 but it's super expensive with out trying.... Super expensive, so 18 will do.

Dalmore is killer. Don't forget to pick up a Balvenie 21 if you can find it.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I always forget to look for it!!!! Every single time I'm in a liquor store I forget. I also want to get a good Oban! I hear it's a good one too.

I have tried the 12 year old dalmore, and the 15, and liked them both, how ever once they get to the 21 year old stage some of the scotch's I've tried changed completely. I think 21 year old dalmore is several hundred if I'm not mistaken. I know the 25 is over 500.

I want a glen livet 21 for the cupboard, I want a glendronach 18(I love this malt), I also want a glenmorangie 25.

I will definitely look for a 21 year old balvenie. What did you think of it?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

The Balvenie is without a doubt my favorite malt. If you can save up for the 30 (around $550-600) you are in for a real treat.

Oban and Spring Bank are up there as well and Lagavulin is also one of my favorites.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I love my lagavulin... So Balvenie 30 eh? I think it's actually cheaper than 25 year old dalmore so maybe I will indulge when the funds are there(2 weeks).

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Balvenie is without a doubt my favorite malt. If you can save up for the 30 (around $550-600) you are in for a real treat.

Oban and Spring Bank are up there as well and Lagavulin is also one of my favorites.

That is a good shout.

I really wish those amazing whiskeys wernt so damned expensive, but its the time that is the money. So true in life i guess.

While ive tryed some of the more expensive ones, they wernt mine they were freinds who wanted to share, i normally settle for ones around the 50 quid mark (80 bucks ish) around 15 years aged and always singles.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Glendronach 15 sherry cask amazing!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This thread is driving me to drink!!!! LOL

Good info here too, this turned out to be pretty good for the uninitiated and the initiated.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Deep breaths!!! Ha ha, I feel the same way every time I come in to report what I've tried. I read what someone else likes, suggests, or how they feel about a certain malt and I want to go get it and try it.

I'm not drinking until Saturday now, ha ha. Decided I might be over indulging, and better to nip it now then when I've drank all my scotch ha ha. The collection has grown quite a bit in the last 3 weeks, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I would like it to last.

I think my next two will be glenlivet 21, and Balvenie 25 as per another embers recommendation... I can wait for them though.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Deep breaths!!! Ha ha, I feel the same way every time I come in to report what I've tried. I read what someone else likes, suggests, or how they feel about a certain malt and I want to go get it and try it.

I'm not drinking until Saturday now, ha ha. Decided I might be over indulging, and better to nip it now then when I've drank all my scotch ha ha. The collection has grown quite a bit in the last 3 weeks, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I would like it to last.

I think my next two will be glenlivet 21, and Balvenie 25 as per another embers recommendation... I can wait for them though.

Balvenie 25 is also very good. I usually stick with the 21 Sherry or the 30 year since the price point on the 25 is not too much different. I do like that they make a 25 triple barrel.

I'm going to try the Glendronach 15 on your recommendation.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join