It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any scotch drinkers in the house!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I just got into the wonderful world, of scotch whisky. Now this is not to say I am new to whisky, I've enjoyed my fair share of canadian and american whiskey, rye, and bourbon. How ever, scotch is new to me.

I've tried 5 different single malts so far.

Glenlivet 15,
Glenfiddich15
glenmorangie nectar d'or 12
Glendronach 12 sherry butte
lagavulin 16

I have to say, this lagavulin is interesting to say the least. It's my first Islay, and my first real peaty scotch... It's certainly neat.

Very smooth, I almost can not describe the taste how ever... very interesting...

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Try laphroaig .. think spelled it right . .

I always have my drinks neat to better enjoy the flavour ..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Yes, west coast malts are my preference. Try Talisker, from the Isle of Skye.

The peat gives it an almost antiseptic flavour like phenolic or TCP. But in a good way!

BTW it may be considered sacrilege but I always drink single malts with a splash of water. Maybe about 70% as much water as whiskey, or even half and half. It brings out the flavour a lot more, otherwise the alcohol hit masks it.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I'm a Scottish drinker, will I do?
My favourite of all time is Laphroaig, it's gorgeous. I recommend it - in fact, now I want some and it's 10.05am where I am. So I better not, but find some and enjoy!

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Hey! Great minds think alike, and all that, Expat

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I'm a Scottish drinker, will I do?
My favourite of all time is Laphroaig, it's gorgeous. I recommend it - in fact, now I want some and it's 10.05am where I am. So I better not, but find some and enjoy!

I have to make trip back to scotland one day .. down to my last bottle of Laphroaig and saving that for special occasion .. though be happy to share it with you

Hehe its never to early .. it already happy hour here

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I also have drank all of these scotch neat, in a crystal glass, cleaned with gibsons 12, and air dried.

I do not add, ice, water, soda, fruit(ha ha)

I enjoy the scotch for the scotch.

I quite enjoy highlands, and speyside scotch.

This islay so far is #ing epic, pardon my language. I'm half way through my dram and wow I can't even speak ha ha.

Leather, peat, smoke, light floral(I feel like rose), mild, mild salty taste, something that tastes like estringent( im assuming this is what they refer to as the iodine taste), Moss, cool damp earthiness, hint of woodiness(reminds me of cedar), or even punk(rotting wood). It's quite pleasant, brings out the same emotions a hike in the early morning does. Absolutely pleasurable.

The one I tried before this was the glendronach, and I nearly finished the entire bottle in 3 days. It's about 1/4th, or maybe even 1/5th left. I really liked that whisky, and glenmorangie ( nectar d'or) omg, so spicy and so smooth. I nearly drank that bottle in 3 days as well. It was a great highlands malt. I will definitely buy that when I have company to share it with. It's just great.

How ever, I will certainly be enjoying this malt with a few friends. This is amazing, Iove the experience. It invokes so much, I feel like a kid. I know it's odd to associate alcohol with child hood, it's just the smells and flavours I suppose.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

I actually find it the other way, when I add ice or water I taste and smell less. I tried Glenlivet 15 on ice the first time, and it was very bland, mildly citrusy, but refreshing. I then tried it with just a splash of water, as I was afraid of the straight alcohol ( I also drank it faster than I should have. so the alcohol washed out my taste buds.)

How ever, i do not consider this sacrilege but I would recommend you find a whisky you can drink neat. Part of the experience is the alcohol evaporating and presenting a big nose.

I have not had talisker, and right up until about 15 mins ago I never even thought I would like peaty scotch. The idea of peat being in a drink disgusted me. The visual of boggy marsh just didn't seem appealing but it's a very unique interesting taste. I actually may be in love.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Another one you might like is drambuie ..

Good to see you drink them the proper way ..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

My next bottle is going to be glendronach 18. I will be sharing with my grandfather. I will offer him the lagvulin as well, but I don't think he likes the peaty scotches. It's astoundingly smooth how ever. What is drambuie like ?
edit on 22-7-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Yeps, anything from Isla or the Western Isles in general will hypnotise you, beguile your taste buds and turn you into the saltiest of sea-dogs.

Before depositing you on the floor in a loving manner.

Lagavulin is a particular fave of mine

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

You might also like fraoch which is heather beer, if you like the taste of peaty whisky. It's great, because it actually tastes of where it's from -it's not artificial. Have it with some oatcakes and cheese, it's amazing.

That sounds great! I'll make sure I've got some in

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I had a girlfriend that turned me on to Glinlivet. It wasn't too bad. Matter of fact, it was pretty damn good as far as booze goes. I just got fed up with buying her a $70 bottle of liquor every other day. There aren't many liquors that I can say I actually enjoy the taste of. Most of it is just fire water to me. There are definitely some that are easier to drink than others. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Don Ramon tequila.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I love all scotches whose makers have spent the time making a refined and respected product. Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Laphroiag (spell?) Johnny Walker Gold, Talisker (to taste the ocean in a 45% alcohol is beyond belief) and the list just goes on and on.

I quite like some of the very refined Rums about the place too, Zacapa in particular.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Highland Park 18 yr, with a nice cigar an some drambuie to dip the tip in.
No better way to end your day or start the weekend...

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
My all time favorite is Balvenie. I like the fact that they are a traditional Scotch house and still prepare their malt by hand.

If you get a chance try the 21 year Sherry Wood.

Another favorite is Spring Bank, either 15 or 18.

I do have a few bottles of 30 and 39 year old for when my Scotch drinking friends come over.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I prefer Glenfidditch for what I can afford.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Also a Balvenie fan. I go for the best two bottles I can afford going through "duty free" from place to place. Managed to lay hands on a bottle of 40/yo and a bottle of PortWood on my last trip into Thailand. The Class VI normally stocks DoubleWood, but I screwed up and told too many of my friends.
Now I'm dating Jameson which is the best Whiskey you can buy for the price you pay. For that (not to mention it doesn't leave me hungover)... I'm willing to overlook the fact it doesn't come from the old country.

-Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Also a Balvenie fan. I go for the best two bottles I can afford going through "duty free" from place to place. Managed to lay hands on a bottle of 40/yo and a bottle of PortWood on my last trip into Thailand. The Class VI normally stocks DoubleWood, but I screwed up and told too many of my friends.
Now I'm dating Jameson which is the best Whiskey you can buy for the price you pay. For that (not to mention it doesn't leave me hungover)... I'm willing to overlook the fact it doesn't come from the old country.

-Cheers

The Portwood is great as well. Make sure you follow the recommended drinking process for the 40 or the Balvenie Malt Master may angrily and forcibly reeducate you.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Interesting how we are calling it "Scotch"

It is a single malt whisky

I love my whisky, I think i have sampled every whisky mentioned so far in this thread.

I have been to quite a few of the distilleries for tours and stuff like that.

The Edinburgh Royal mile is a must destination for a Whisky fan, full of some amazing whisky shops, there is even one in the castle grounds, not to mention the Scottish Whisky Experience. Walking into a room housing the worlds largest whisky collection and some of the most expensive and rarest bottles is quite something.

I used to go to this amazing whisky bar that would do events where the owner would invite guys from the distilleries and you could sit about and drink as much of the staff as you wanted.

really quite amazing.

its not like any other drink really, something very special about a whisky.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join