It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live Off The Grid? List your area here so others will know Where they can move to

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
One of the hardest things I find about researching places to live off the grid is most municipalities have restrictions on living off the grid. They insist that you hook up to the electric system or other utilities in some form. What we need is a comprehensive listing of all the areas around say the United States (or other countries) that allow you to live on your land as you see fit without any government restrictions. Now you can call up officials in each area you consider buying land in and ask them but this takes lots of time and you never know how honest someone will be with you over the phone - they may lie to you just to get you to move to that area. I thought it would be advantageous if we had folks who live off the grid tell us where they live and what if any restrictions are in place in the area.

What say you Off The Gridders, care to lend a hand?

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If I wanted neighbors would have stayed in that cesspool people call "civilization" ...

Let them find theyre own patch ... elsewhere ...

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You cant be serious ...right? Do you really think people are gonna give you and every other government agencies monitoring this sight there location....?? reply to: JohnPhoenix

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

That is why we are interested in those "tiny houses on wheels". It is not a permanent structure then.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have a nice 250 acre patch of forest property with a house I inherited. All I have is electricity, no cable, no cell phone. I only get online at work, usually picking up free wi-fi. If needed, the power can be cut to my house. I have a wood burner, and the water comes from a spring on my property and it is gravity fed. Where? Yeah I won't say, because my closest neighbor is 5 miles away, down a 3 mile dirt road that requires 4 wheel drive and a lift kit to make it up. The privacy is amazing, and not having all the sound around that comes with living in a town or along a road is even better. You can hear a car from 2 miles away trying to make it to my house by the crunching of the tires carrying up the hollow. I wouldn't want anyone to move in near me, and the best part is, now you can't build houses any where in the area due to all the 100+ yr old abandoned mines all over the place here.

And what Expat888 said. I wouldn't want a neighbor anywhere near. It defeats the purpose of living out here.

Maybe try Alaska or Canada?!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I am serious and here's why -

Only a small number of folks are willing to try to live without any utilities. If I had a neighbor 5 miles away I'd be fine with that. The government already knows where it allows folks to live this way so it's not like this would let the cat out of the bag. Also honest folks are not going to want to live off the grid for malicious purposes where they actually need to hide from the government. If my neighbor 5 miles away is doing something illegal, I'd not want them there either.

I'd expect folks to name areas where they know it's legal to live this way in a general sense - nothing more, no details that would cause someone to move right up on their doorstep. I'd hate to come away from this thread with the impression most off the gridders are selfish people, who are perhaps doing illegal things. I can of course understand one's need for privacy but to me, living off the grid is not just about getting away from the house next door, it's about living away from government restrictions and be forced to use utility companies products.

In fact, I wouldn't even mind neighbors one or two miles away. For me it's more about getting away from Government than it is getting that far away from your fellow man.
edit on 21-7-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: formatting

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Im serious too .. dont want or need neighbors .. they can find their own patch .. far away from me ..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

I have two locations, one very remote (jacked up 4x4 and slow), one not so much (rural one road in/out). I'll help anyone by explaining or designing technology and how to go off the grid, I won't give up my locations, especially the remote one. If you can though, always locate near fresh water, preferably a fast moving stream/waterfall for easy hydroelectric generation, but a lake is good as well. Make sure it is at least 5 to 10 miles from any "county" type road, the more inaccessible the better. Have a plan on how you are going to move things in like building materials and energy generating equipment, fuels, etc., make a temporary road and grow it over after you're done. Clear enough land for gardens and wood for heat. Don't tell anyone where it is! If everything goes to hell, have a meeting location. That's the way I've set things up.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/22.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

You think bc people don't want to tell you where they live that it means they're selfish or criminals? Good grief.

That's the kind of thinking that people want to get away from...

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I think Colorado has 11 counties with no building codes. I think Oklahoma and Arkansas don't have many building codes. I have been attempting to research this myself but its difficult without spending money on books. Low populated counties are where to search and most counties have websites and you can usually determine if they have zoning or building codes online.

But you would think there would be maps listing states and the best counties to go off the grid, but I haven't found any yet.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I was reading that some folks in Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa were contributing TOO MUCH to the grid that the local power companies lobbied to enact fees for generating TOO MUCH power to the grid. And they WON! Go figure.
And this is in sunny Arizona.

Pretty much tells you who works for whom.

Disturbing indeed....

Kratos

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
There is a small island just off the coast I could takeover. Its uninhabited and in a marine conservation zone (great fishing!!), the enviro's that monitor the island are un-armed unless they get prior approval--I know I use to work with them.

Its also a seal breeding ground so if I get sick of fish there is a source of red meat.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverStarGazer

You think bc people don't want to tell you where they live that it means they're selfish or criminals? Good grief.

That's the kind of thinking that people want to get away from...

Nope.. That's not what I said, don't try to put words in my mouth.. go back and re-read that in context.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Im living off the grid using the city camping technique.

Van with 99% of everything I have needed for over two years

Im currently a texas local .

Beach living is nice.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well mine is the Pacific Ocean.

I figure there is enough room for people to move out here with me.

100% off the grid and it supplies everything you need.

I rather feel sorry for you guys stuck on land, eventually someone will find you and take your stuff if things get dicey but not me.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Senators

That is one reason I chose coast hugging

cantn afford a boat so I figure being close to boats is next best.

If it gets to bad land side ill grab a boat and head off shore for a while

Thats the plan at least

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

That is one reason I chose coast hugging

cantn afford a boat so I figure being close to boats is next best.

If it gets to bad land side ill grab a boat and head off shore for a while

Thats the plan at least

That is the problem we sailors will face. You need to stay far enough offshore to avoid the pirates with motorboats at least until its safe to assume they have burnt through their fuel. Once your about 800 miles offshore though, you are pretty much safe except from storms.

You just need to head in to resupply some food items. Water you can make on the boat.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Is there anybody doing this in the UK ????

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

You must have one hell of an internet bill... lol

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You can't hide from the heat seeking technology. If you're on the planet, a satellite can find you, so there really isn't any such thing as 'off the grid', other than living without the modern conveniences.
In a SHTF scenario, we're all doomed, I think.

<<   2  3 >>

join