It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Lack of Sleep a Major Health Concern?.......I say Yes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I recently went through a period of not being able to sleep at all and it lasted about 71 hours straight give or take 30 minutes.
I ended up in the Emergency department because I thought for sure I was either dieing or having a mental breakdown.

What I experienced was hearing voices and music in my head when I hit day 3 without sleep, and I was so snippy and combative that I was verbally attacking my wife and the doctors that last night.

Believe me this yelling and snapping is not me normally I am so easy going it opens myself up to being used or abused one way or the other.
I have had all my meds changed for my heart condition about 4 months ago and two of them fight each other, one makes me awake and one makes me sleepy.
I call that torture and only someone with similar meds will be able to relate to.

From what I have read its a real issue and all kinds of things happen from elevated sugar levels to symptoms very similar to schizophrenia.
Never before have I had a problem sleeping but let me tell you its so life altering that it is not funny.

Here are some links I thought might be of importance and should prove to be informative to all here.

www.spring.org.uk...

serendip.brynmawr.edu...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.theatlantic.com...

"“The reason I know it was October was there was a pumpkin at the nursing station, and I hallucinated vividly the pumpkin was talking to me,” he said. “It’s the only time I’ve ever hallucinated in my life.” Ah, he thought for the first time, sleep deprivation resembles psychosis. According to Walseban, sleep loss can cause psychological damage because sleep regulates the brain’s flow of epinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, chemicals closely associated with mood and behavior.

Anyways I am hoping this thread will shed some light on the issue of "Lack of or No Sleep" for days and its ramifications.

Looking forward to any and all personal experiences regarding lack or absence of sleep.
Links and articles would be most helpful and appreciated for sure.

"note to mods if something similar to this thread exists please delete or move as you see fit"

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 21-7-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Hi dude.

Beware. I remember watching a docu about sleep deprivation and it can lead to suicidal tendencies and violence!!

Get those meds sorted out!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Hey Void, yeah they put me on sleeping pills but that is only temporary as I refuse to depend on them for any length of time.

I never felt suicidal at all, but violence did cross my mind as in verbally directed towards those trying to help me and my wife.

I was saying some really ugly stuff indeed.

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 21-7-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

A few years ago i read that the musician Frank Zappa stayed awake for 8 days by taking acid constantly.
I was young and stupid and thought "i can stay awake that long", so i gave it a try...
Got through the first 2 days no problem.
Days 3 and 4 i started hallucinating mildly, seeing shadows out the corners of my eyes, moving walls etc.
I remember thinking that i could do it, 8 days.
But on day 6 i was walking to the local shops and i heard my sisters voice " hello SecretKnowledge". i looked around, no sign of her. Next thing i hear girl's voices calling my name out. Like really hearing these voices. It freaked me out a little.
I decided not to try match mr. Zappa's 8 days, i couldnt put up with hearing voices. They were'nt voices in my head they were physically real.
Physically i was'nt in too bad shape,[snipped]
But mentally i was drained, totally and utterly.

So thats my little sleep depravation tale...

edit on 21/7/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

(16i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Kandinsky because: Removed drug reference

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

No kidding - studies show that pre-psychotic symptoms start appearing after just one night of interrupted-lost sleep.

Please take care!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Longest ive been awake was about two days no bad effects.although if i go and get tired i start talking like a person whos drunk. Supposedly there is some guy who hasnt slept for years but he meditates so i dont think that counts as he may easily drift off without knowing it. I think i heard the record for no sleep is 11 days.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Uh, meth heads, anyone?

You don't go insane from an upper, you go insane from sleep deprivation.

I actually love to stress out my system, just like building up muscles.

It's good to build up new levels in ability to handle various stressors.

I've been up for days before, taking minute meditation breaks here and there to complete projects and enjoy the free altered states of consciousness.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Beware. I remember watching a docu about sleep deprivation and it can lead to suicidal tendencies and violence!!

Yep. I know tiredness like the back of my hand. I had a health problem that caused me to have extreme fatigue and tiredness for years, to the point where I could literally fall asleep standing on my feet. I could barely function from day to day. When you're suffering from such things, it's easy to find yourself in an altered state of mind. It may be hard for some people to imagine, but when your body and mind simply shut down and the only thing your brain understands is that you need to sleep, anything that interferes with that sleep can be seen as a danger or as an enemy... And it may feel natural to react with sudden violence, either towards the "enemy" or towards yourself, simply to relieve the feeling of having no sleep.
Chronic fatigue/tiredness/sleep deprivation really can amount to torture. If anyone has truly experienced it, they know.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have gone through a period of high stress and developed insomnia. I started drinking heavily, and by heavily I mean about a half gallon of liquor and a case of beer a day for around a year. I stopped drinking, cold-turkey, and went into horrible withdrawals. After 3 days of alcohol withdrawal and no sleep I started having some pretty intense hallucinations. I saw the grim reaper. I was having conversations with people who weren't there. I was watching psychedelic cartoons on the ceiling. All in all, a very unpleasant experience. I still enjoy a few beers, but I'm not killing myself now. I removed myself from a bad relationship and my sleep patterns have more or less normalized. I've actually been sleeping for unusually long periods as of late.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The longest I ever stayed awake was 5 days straight during gunnery with my old tank unit in the army.

I remember hallucinating bad and people looking asian and deer and vehicles jumping out in the road when there were none. The thing is though once you've been up that long you're so wired that its hard to get your body to calm down enough to go to sleep.

I am so tired all the time, but I'm almost never sleepy. That's something nobody else can seem to understand.

My wife sure as hell does'nt. I fall asleep at 10 and get up at 2 wide awake then do that for about 10 years and yeah, you lose your sharpness. You tend to daydream more and lose more focus. Sometimes I'll fall asleep watching movies or doing anything really just where I'm sitting there because my mind is quiet doing something for a bit. Something I cannot do when I am trying to sleep and I'm just laying there.

Mood swings are getting worse and worse. Alot of times I'll just give up just thinking about doing something because I just have no energy/motivation to do it.

I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up and felt rested, refreshed, alive.

I always feel bad depressed, sometimes I'll wake up crying for no reason at all. I don't remember hardly any dreams or fragments of dreams so I don't think I hit REM sleep too much if at all.

Thing is I also have not much motivation to do anything about it because I hate to sleep also. It just seems like such a waste of time when you think about it. It never makes me feel any better anyways, just worse.

But hey, I been living with it this long and I'm still mostly sane.
edit on 21-7-2014 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I am so tired all the time, but I'm almost never sleepy. That's something nobody else can seem to understand.

My wife sure as hell does'nt. I fall asleep at 10 and get up at 2 wide awake then do that for about 10 years and yeah, you lose your sharpness. You tend to daydream more and lose more focus. Sometimes I'll fall asleep watching movies or doing anything really just where I'm sitting there because my mind is quiet doing something for a bit. Something I cannot do when I am trying to sleep and I'm just laying there.

Mood swings are getting worse and worse. Alot of times I'll just give up just thinking about doing something because I just have no energy/motivation to do it.

I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up and felt rested, refreshed, alive.

I always feel bad depressed, sometimes I'll wake up crying for no reason at all. I don't remember hardly any dreams or fragments of dreams so I don't think I hit REM sleep too much if at all.

Thing is I also have not much motivation to do anything about it because I hate to sleep also. It just seems like such a waste of time when you think about it. It never makes me feel any better anyways, just worse.

But hey, I been living with it this long and I'm still mostly sane.

Try having the second sleep. I have been in this pattern of waking in the early hours. Get up and do something for a few hours, then go crash back out. This is where I go into the dreamtime.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I usually get six hours of sleep a night, I can't sleep longer than that. It has been that way most of my life. Once in a while I sleep longer, but then I wind up with a headache from my neck.

Methylcobalamin helps me to sleep better, it doesn't give you a boost like cyanocobalamin does. Take it at night an hour before going to bed. It works best with a multimineral, I wake up feeling like I slept for twelve hours. Now, this may not work for everyone, but I have told about four people about it and they all say it has worked. The doses are kinda high in these pills, I only take them when I feel I need them, like once every week and a half or so.

I know how not sleeping can make you feel, I was on provigil along with other meds for five years. Provigil was way worse than coffee ever was at keeping me from sleeping properly. It probably kept me from dying from the epilepsy drugs I was taking though.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

How could something like staying up so long even be allowed in the military? Were you mearly restless or did they make you work a lot? They expect people to fullfil tasks but tiredness and hallucinating is an obvious hinderance to that.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Aural because: Typing error

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I say yes. I become snippy. [Do something that annoys them, that annoys you.]

I deal though.

I was always told: "that if you think, It gets to the snippy point. Take 5 minutes to yourself to relieve. Whether it pisses the boss off or not. You complete the composure to be yourself."

It works.

The issue is not enough sleep and working on hours ,which is why you hear what you hear. I have never experienced it, but it is what my work load is like at the moment. No wonder wondering your hearing things.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I went through insomnia last week beginning last monday, and only slept 4 hours until friday night. I started hearing sounds reflected and coming from sources not seemingly where the actual source was from, like speakers. But that is all it was, and I knew it beforehand.
Also, my mind began to play through many memories of things and then respond to them verbally like they were just happening, but would catch myself and stop. Like being in a dream and acting out the dream, which is actually what is going on.
I had a bout of strep throat and bronchitis that I have now recovered from, but last week, it stopped me from sleeping almost entirely.
I had it happen a long time ago, and it can make you crazy unless you know what is going on, and have the mental strength to shut it down, or not respond to any of the sleep deprivation effects that are prodding your mind. I would say the average person would not be able to control it at all. It definitely is a serious thing that can lead to severe consequences.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

How could something like staying up so long even be allowed in the military? Were you mearly restless or did they make you work a lot? They expect people to fullfil tasks but tiredness and hallucinating is an obvious hinderance to that.

Probably, because he or she went to war. Enough said. It is not something you or I would understand. I did have close friends pass from it, going through school at the time of the war, I know about the restless nights. School and military, it is the same difference, but different. Especially, the pressure.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Diabolical because: Sorry the grammar and puncuation is not up to standards

edit on 22-7-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Mostly

My longest stint is just 72 hours with my subconscious starting to bleed into conscious mind. My problems were all caused by tension, which can turn on itself and grow even when the original cause, has long left the arena. If I was you I'd be looking for a sleep clinic to try diagnose the problem.
edit on 22 7 2014 by glend because: (no reason given)

edit on 22 7 2014 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I regularly go 2 or 3 days with no sleep every single week.

A combination of night work and [snip]
No mental health issues, touch wood.

Probably not doing me a lot of good physically though.

Still what to do, the rent wont pay itself.

I can't work days. Too stressful in my profession.

(16i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Kandinsky because: Snipped drug reference

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical
Probably, because he or she went to war. Enough said. It is not something you or I would understand. I did have close friends pass from it, going through school at the time of the war, I know about the restless nights. School and military, it is the same difference, but different. Especially, the pressure.

This x1000

Honestly, I slept great and had a normal sleep schedule. Then I deployed.

Now I go 2-3 days without sleeping , completely unphased. But when my body decides it wants sleep it wants sleep NOW. Just last weekend I was in the middle of a 4 hour drive after a three day bout with insomnia when I suddenly realized I was tired. So I pulled in to a gas station parking lot, told an attendant I was tired and slept in the Jeep for 2 hours. Then it was another sleepless two days, but after that I got in 10 hours.

I blame it on missions where any sleep I did get was fitful and restless, due to knowing in the back of my mind that there was some asshole, somewhere that wanted to kill me. Even now I wake up panicking and fully alert from a dead sleep. When my wife and I were dating she decided to make a fancy breakfast then came in and shook me to wake me up. She says I woke up screaming and punched her in the face. Six years later she still shakes my feet to wake me lol.

It probably doesn't help that I rotate 2nd and 3rd shifts too.

But I'll tell you what, if you were ever looking for time to do stuff around the house, take up a hobby, or learn a new skill/language you'll be surprised at how much more time you'll have if you don't sleep. The dishes, laundry and dusting are always done and grocery shopping at 0300hrs means no lines.

Oh and the best part is there's no line for equipment at the gym at 0200hrs

edit on 22-7-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is all I needed to see to agree with you OP

Muhahahahahahahahahahaha

new topics

<<   2 >>

join