It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JIBO: The World's First Family Robot: Robot slave or Robot spy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow look at this little fella.

Looks handy but I would have to have it talk like a robot not like a human.
So what do you think? I think this is a sign of things to come and in a decade we may all have a robot.
But then our every move could be watched :O
Do you want one? what laws would have to be made? and what voice do you want your robot to speak in?.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Wow look at this little fella.

Looks handy but I would have to have it talk like a robot not like a human.
So what do you think? I think this is a sign of things to come and in a decade we may all have a robot.
But then our every move could be watched :O
Do you want one? what laws would have to be made? and what voice do you want your robot to speak in?.

Whoa....I think that is pretty freakin cool. Probably the best robot concept I have seen come out. Reminds me of a super upgraded Furby or something of the sort. I could easily see this becoming a highly adopted device in homes. I would definitely get one if the price was right. This thing seems like the next greatest gadget everyone will want. I can already see the yearly versions coming out just like the iPhone/pod/pad. Very cool!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Crazy.
If we combine that with the technology from Robot can be programmed by casually talking to it & with The Poppy Project I imagine that we could have our own robots a lot sooner.

I could see Jibo (I keep thinking Jimbo but that's probably cause I just watched South Park) as being used as spying device. If the gov can get into your xbox and watch you than why not Jibo?
edit on 21-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Of course I would love to have one, but it would have to be mobile... heck, you don't expect me to carry my robot with me all the time... I already carry enough electronics... and progress would be to carry less...

I don't care about voice... as long as it is women voice rather then a man....

Nothing more sexy then women robot... like Six (from BSG or Tripping the Rift
)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is a necessary step towards awesomeness. This is just to warm people up to the idea of having mechanical humanoids interacting with them in their day to day life.

As far as nefarious spying, most people already have a webcam, headset w/mic, cell phones, emails, televisions, the list goes on. If anyone was so inclined to spy on you, the infrastructure to do so already exists in an accessible manner. I doubt anyone would go the extra step just to spy on you. Not to mention, how much do these things cost? They wouldn't exactly be in poorer houses, and wouldn't you want to spy on the people who don't have much of anything left to loose if anyone at all?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The perfect way to spy on people ,bring it a camera that people will be OK with following their every move, and listening to every word. How many people will say that it would never happen?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't want one, but if I somehow ended up with one, I'd want it to sound like John Cleese.

***EDIT***

Or Stephen Fry.
edit on 7/21/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Do you want one?

Yes!

what laws would have to be made?

What laws were made for Siri and Google Now? I don't think the small robot changes anything.

and what voice do you want your robot to speak in?

I like the voice. It can stay.

The website for the robot is myjibo.com. It costs $500 USD, about the price of a new smartphone.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I would get this after the 3rd generation of Jibos come out. Right now my phone can do all of that it just can not swivel around and look at me. It will really be a game changer when it can move around by itself independent of you. So hopefully it will get there by Jibo 3.0.

I would want mine to sound like a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica......"By your command I will clean the room"...."So say we all little Jibo, so say we all"

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I like robots, find them interesting and would want one...if only it did not record my every move.

We have a little dog robot my kids got for Christmas a couple years ago, I enjoy it more than they do. It does all sorts of tricks and follows you around, but he gets confused when he makes it to the stairs. I named him Gargamel, he is cute and fun but does not record our day to day functions like this one would. I would not be okay with that. I like the talking, message taking etc...but the constant surveillance makes it not so great.

If I could have a robot of my choice it would be c3po and he would talk and act just like c3po....complete with the anxiety and all.

For anyone interested in a robot story, I always love the chance to recommend "Doomsday Book". It is a Korean movie (I believe), three tales in all; one zombie, one asteroid doomsday and the other about a robot who is a practicing Buddha, it is believed that the robot is enlightened. The robot is also set to be destroyed and they (robot and other Buddhists) try and come to terms with it. Very thought provoking, and moving I highly recommend.

edit on 21-7-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Hell yeah I will take that robot and that little white thing next to her with the screen.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Pity we can't get two and make them fight to the death.
They could sort of headbutt each other I suppose.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Pity we can't get two and make them fight to the death.
They could sort of headbutt each other I suppose.

Now after hearing your Idea. I want mine to sound like a Dalek from Dr. Who.....EXTERMINATE...EXTERMINATE

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

And the other one Darth Vader...imagine what they would say to each other as they bashed each others domes in lol.
Anyone got a thousand bucks to test it out?.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
I would get this after the 3rd generation of Jibos come out. Right now my phone can do all of that it just can not swivel around and look at me. It will really be a game changer when it can move around by itself independent of you. So hopefully it will get there by Jibo 3.0.

I would want mine to sound like a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica......"By your command I will clean the room"...."So say we all little Jibo, so say we all"

I didn't want one at first, but now I do.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Reminds me of this..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
There are a lot of positive comments about this. I just don't understand why anyone would want one of these. I don't need a mechanical friend or "family member", I don't need the thing to greet me when I come home, I don't need the camera abilities, or the thing to order food for me, or reminders that a friend is coming over. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't like how people think that technological things like this are a necessity or even a desire. I just don't get it. I don't see how it would make my life better. To each his own, I guess.
edit on 22-7-2014 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join