It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military Once Planned on Building Surveillance System on the Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Known as "Project Horizon", the ambitious endeavor would have seen the construction of an outpost on the moon designed to "facilitate communications with the Earth" while providing unrivaled observational capabilities.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I wonder how we can be sure every heavy launch over the many years has been a satellite as claimed?

It seems to me that it would take real time and effort to do covertly after manned missions with Apollo, but I'll bet it could have been done for automated equipment anyway. If the black side of things decided it was a true priority, it makes me wonder.

Is it what might have been or what "doesn't exist"?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think they investigated all sorts of things at the time, one of the jobs of any kind of research, be it civilian, military, whatever, is the so called 'blue sky thinking' - "What if...?".

What they will have found in their studies of this is that it would have been of limited use and too expensive. They could do things much more quickly and cheaply in Earth orbit.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

The Russians had the manned "Almaz" stations in orbit in the early 1970s, so it seems logical that if the Americans were to surpass that (at least in scope, breadth, and ballsiness), then the Moon would be the place.

Links:
The Almaz Space Station Program

Wikipedia -- Almaz

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrCynic
I wonder how we can be sure every heavy launch over the many years has been a satellite as claimed?

It seems to me that it would take real time and effort to do covertly after manned missions with Apollo, but I'll bet it could have been done for automated equipment anyway. If the black side of things decided it was a true priority, it makes me wonder.

There are ocean-going platforms that carry out launches at sea. Most people aren't even aware of how many rockets are sent up there.

It doesn't take an Atlas-V to launch a satellite

edit on 21-7-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Who is to say they did not do so, there was enough expenditure on the Black space program for this to have been acomplished sever time's but as technology improved and got smaller the benefit's of this would have rapidly shrank in relation to the cost.
Of course unless it used camoflauge or sat in permenant crater shadow the soviet, chinese and european missions would have seen somthing.

There are many conceptual schemes that came to nothing like the Artifical Ice berg aircraft carriers that the US planned to launch against Japan, the Atomic bomb put paid to that imaginative idea though.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: MrCynic

There are ocean-going platforms that carry out launches at sea. Most people aren't even aware of how many rockets are sent up there.

It doesn't take an Atlas-V to launch a satellite

Some satellites are launched from the air (rockets dropped from aircraft) such as the IRIS space observatory. This air launch (in the video below) used a Pegasus rocket manufactured and launched by Orbital Sciences Corporation. Granted, this is not an option for heavy launches, which would be required to launch a manned surveillance outpost, or even a large spy satellite.

edit on 7/21/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

The Russians had the manned "Almaz" stations in orbit in the early 1970s, so it seems logical that if the Americans were to surpass that (at least in scope, breadth, and ballsiness), then the Moon would be the place.

Links:

Wikipedia -- Almaz

Ballsy it would be , but what actual purpose would it serve?

Have a search to see what the best, the absolute best, resolution a terrestrial telescope can get of the moon, then ask yourself if that same resolution would be any use for spying?

Which is more use, something that can be positioned permanently over an object, overfly on demand, pass over every couple of hours, or something that only has a perfect view for a couple of hours a day as long as the sun isn't blinding it?

What is the fastest speed of any missile available and how long it would take to hit a terrestrial target from the moon?

Find out how easy it is to intercept signals from the moon and ask yourself if this is any use in maintaining either a covert presence of secrecy (we'll ignore the number of missions it would take to build, never mind man, a lunar base.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey

Links:

Wikipedia -- Almaz

Oh, I agree. That's why I qualified my statement by saying "at least in scope, breadth, and ballsiness".

The one advantage I can think of for having a surveillance outpost on the moon rather than in orbit would be the relative safety from being target that it affords you in times of major conflict. Being on the Moon would be like being in a bunker or in a secret location -- relatively safe from bombardment.

...That is until the enemy sends a probe to "research" the Moon (a probe with secret missiles on board that can wait in orbit until it is needed).

edit on 7/21/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Links:

Wikipedia -- Almaz

That was part of the rationale for the US Air Forces MOL (Manned Orbiting Laboratory) and the DynaSoar spaceplane project.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey

Links:

Wikipedia -- Almaz

Oh, I agree. That's why I qualified my statement by saying "at least in scope, breadth, and ballsiness".

The one advantage I can think of for having a surveillance outpost on the moon rather than in orbit would be the relative safety from being target that it affords you in times of major conflict. Being on the Moon would be like being in a bunker or in a secret location -- relatively safe from bombardment.

...That is until the enemy sends a probe to "research" the Moon (a probe with secret missiles on board that can wait in orbit until it is needed).

The best place for a base on the moon is on the far side. Not for military purposes but scientific ones.

Not to look down at the earth, but out into the universe.

Think about it.

No atmosphere yet a stable place to set up a large optical interferometer (groups of telescopes) to see things in very high resolution. Think of NASA's cancelled Terrestrial Planet Finder but set up not as a free floating flotilla of telescopes but a bunch positioned across the surface of the lunar far side.

The moon also blocks terrestrial radio interference so radio astronomy and SETI would especially benefit.

edit on 21-7-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

True and is it not odd that among those early report's and claims of an Alien base on the far side of the moon they talk of towers and aeriel like structure's, it is possible that a previous civilization in remote antiquity actually realized that dream.

edit on 22-7-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
Or what about alternative 3, hoax or real?.

If you're talking about the 1977 film, it was neither hoax nor real. It was a TV drama. I watched it when it aired originally and it impressed me hugely. I'm old enough to know better now.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey

Yeah I removed the video Url having watched the whole thing, not impressed with it at all, still it would be cool to prove a potential previous presence though I would not be looking to the star's for the origin of such but somewhere beneath our feet, maybe an analogue of our current species who could potentially have existed in the distant past.
There are many time's in the earth's history where entire cambrian explosion type event's may have happened and more than enough geological and other forces to have erased almost all or even all evidence of such but had intelligence ever evolved and reached up there then perhaps traces of such could be found in some form on the moon or even in orbit so the rumor's of a moon base and anomoly's on the lunar surface which even the astronauts may not have noticed due to there extreme age and of course the infamous black night satelite may give pause for thought.

I believe that we are far more likely to encounter evidence of another intelligence in the earth's distant past than meet ET in person though I have no doubt true Alien life does exist, it does though provide a potential alternative to the source of some UFO sighting's even though most are mis identification such as planes seen side on called cigar shaped or saucer shaped.

Still that Alternative 3 crap will circle for ever as it play's well into our collective neurosis about government cover up's, alien agenda's and suppressed technology as well as playing on the population control and world government thread as well as the Dumb's and who know's just maybe there is some truth in it at the hypothesis stage though definitly not getting to the moon before apollo.

You know there is a theory called the snow ball earth theory that goes something like this.
About 2.2 to 2.4 billion years ago the earth entered a extremely cold period in part due to the fact the sun was cooler then and the ice cap's grew until at several point's they actually reached the equator leaving little or not liquid water above or at sea level and possible leading to the death of all life above hardy micro organism level that existed though chemo synthetic life near the ocean vent's would have gone on as normal and even thrived with less competition perhaps toxifying the ocean's even further.
At about 750 million years ago we entered what may be one of many interglacial periods, as may have happened several times before in that over one and half billion year period but is likely the end of the snow ball earth age as the solar output has grown over time and it emit's more heat than it did then.
At about 650 million years ago the so called Cambrien explosion occured, this is a term used for the sudden appearance of mutliple life forms and the earliest KNOWN multi celled organisms and early complex life forms appeared taking advantage of the warmer conditions and adapting to compete and take advantage of the eco system niches that where unexploited up to that point.

Now at about every 650 million years or so about 90 percent of the earth's surface is eroded away, volcanically changed, subducted, or undergoes other changes that actually would destroy almost all fossil evidence even down to the microbrial level and though we have rocks such as those in greenland at about 4 plus billion years old they were likely deep rock that was eroded out so in other word's before 650 million years it would be extremely unlikely to find any fossil even had life existed, couple that with probably glaciation and erosion and we would not ever know of any previous sentience unless they built something very big or very indestructable, or very deep in extremly stable crustal regions that have been unchanged in all that time.

Now given that I actually do believe it more than plausible that life and even intelligent life could have existed before, indeed entire Alien, to us at least, eco systems could have existed at previous epoch's in the earth's history.

If we encountered an alien race where would we look for confirmation assuming they had cellular biology similar to our's.
The make up of the cytoplasm and biological homeostasis would be good markers as would the DNA endrons as they are among the oldest part's of the DNA of all species, though regarded as JUNK DNA they are anything but and may hold secret's to ancient adaptations life once made to any previous eco system's, of course all life on earth now is descended from microbial life that had managed to survive to that point at which the cambrian explosion occured so all that junk DNA seem's awfully complex for a microbe to have carried around when they usually only have a simple form unless it was legacy from those earlier epoch's that has simply been preserved while only the simply life requirements of those microbes where active.

edit on 22-7-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join