It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli military ‘using flechette rounds in Gaza Strip’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

While they're controversial (at best), they're not banned by the Geneva Convention.

Here's a cool link.

And a fairly decent resource in general.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: demus

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: AnuTyr

funny thing is weapons of any description are designed to Mame and kill i find it a little silly that some are allowed and others not.....murder is murder regardless of the weapon used to do the job

You might want to rethink that statement when it comes to bio-weaponry.

so there are humane ways to murder and inhumane ways....i would argue the same result is achieved either way

that is if you die...

what if you don't die?

that is the issue with that "illegal weapons" - there are some scary side-effects beside killing the enemy.

murder is still well just that....i could use a 9mm and shoot you in the head for a quick death...or i could shoot you in the knee caps and elbows for a slow and pain full death...can you see what i am getting at here ?

you're still using gun, right?

what if you used white phosphorous on me and I didn't die?

that is the whole point and that is why some weapons are being prohibited.

why would you want to see more and scarier types of disabled people around us?

what if you didnt die from the above mentioned injuries i caused with a gun ?

it would be the best if we could ban all weapons but that is impossible so at least we can try to ban those weapons and ammunition that are maiming and not primarily killing.

the purpose of any warfare shouldn't be creating disabled population.

we are trying to regulate such weapons so at least warfare can leave less horrible consequences.

i hear you and agree but war is all this race of humans seems to understand....how about we just do away with war and all get along.....but it seems that is just a fantasy

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

funny thing is weapons of any description are designed to Mame and kill i find it a little silly that some are allowed and others not.....murder is murder regardless of the weapon used to do the job

so there are humane ways to murder and inhumane ways....i would argue the same result is achieved either way

that is if you die...

what if you don't die?

that is the issue with that "illegal weapons" - there are some scary side-effects beside killing the enemy.

murder is still well just that....i could use a 9mm and shoot you in the head for a quick death...or i could shoot you in the knee caps and elbows for a slow and pain full death...can you see what i am getting at here ?

it would be the best if we could ban all weapons but that is impossible so at least we can try to ban those weapons and ammunition that are maiming and not primarily killing.

we are trying to regulate such weapons so at least warfare can leave less horrible consequences.

i hear you and agree but war is all this race of humans seems to understand....how about we just do away with war and all get along.....but it seems that is just a fantasy

in other words, if I understood correctly - you think any weapon imaginable is allowed in the warfare and the international regulation of weapons doesn't make sense?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

that is if you die...

what if you don't die?

in other words, if I understood correctly - you think any weapon imaginable is allowed in the warfare and the international regulation of weapons doesn't make sense?

no it is not...the point is any weapon can cause the same kind of misery......we should maybe look at the people that create these weapons in the first place...

just for the record i think what Israel is doing is sub human and should be condemned but the weapon of choice is irrelevant

the fact the we have an international law against certain weapons shows the root of the problem....weapons of any kind are designed to Mame and kill and cause misery regardless...and none of this is ok

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: daaskapital
That is why such weaponry is illegal.

Fletchette rounds are NOT illegal. Most countries have them.

Indeed. However, you took my response out of context. I was referring to the weapons as described by khnum.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
To clarify things, i am not calling flechette rounds illegal. I am only stating that according to the article, they are in relation to Gaza:

“While flechettes are not expressly forbidden under international humanitarian law in all circumstances, other rules of humanitarian law render their use in the Gaza Strip illegal,” B’Tselem said.

www.independent.co.uk...

I understand that flechette rounds are not illegal, but i thank others for bringing information to this thread for the sake of clarification and truth.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

To clarify things, i am not calling flechette rounds illegal. I am only stating that according to the article, they are in relation to Gaza:

“While flechettes are not expressly forbidden under international humanitarian law in all circumstances, other rules of humanitarian law render their use in the Gaza Strip illegal,” B’Tselem said.

When a news source makes a claim that something is "illegal" then does not state the actual law broken you know the claim is dodgy.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yes... people should only be killed with approved, lawful bullets ... *fizzle*

I really want to wake up from this world... it's not funny anymore.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I'm not surprised with that. There is still chaos in Israel.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Normal bullets or artillery rounds dont discriminate who they maim or kill. Using these Flechette rounds in conflict is no more morally ambiguous than any other weapon. Which is not to say that's any more appropriate to do so considering by now Humanity should know better but when is the last time man went to war with only his hands and feet as weapons?

Never I imagine.

edit on 21-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

There's a difference between a weapon that is designed to kill its target and a weapon that is specifically designed to injure as many people as possible... And then using said weapon in a public place full of innocent civilians.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

They were used in Vietnam by the United States, they say with only a few rounds of those you could level a forest. Nasty suckers. The intent is to kill as many persons as possible, indiscriminately. Rather than a bullet, which kills one. They said when they were used in Vietnam the screams of the people being shredded were horrendous.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

There's a difference between a weapon that is designed to kill its target and a weapon that is specifically designed to injure as many people as possible... And then using said weapon in a public place full of innocent civilians.

then the subject of who builds these weapons and why..?.should be of real concern and more to the point the kind of mind set that is willing to use them !!!..

there is no reason for innocent people to be hurt or killed

how can people be so low as to come up with this.?..it is beyond me

killing...hurting maiming..whatever at the end of the day it suits a single purpose...

there is nothing humane in the art of war

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The difference of course is these weapons are more likely to hit people that were not intended targets. So actually murder is not murder.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The difference of course is these weapons are more likely to hit people that were not intended targets. So actually murder is not murder.

who are you pretending to be "Confucius" ?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: khnum

And the US uses napalm,incendiary bombs,white phosphorous,depleted uranium and cluster bombs does that make them just as evil?

Well yes, yes it does.

The US does not use napalm on troops anymore. Phosphourous rounds are used for marking purposes only these days as well because both napalm and that are in humane weapons. Incindiaries are usually used on hard targets and not on soldiers individually fro once again humanitarian concerns. DU is used on vehicles and armor specifically and not generally wasted on ground troops. Almost all of what you mentioned isnt used on troops or fighters anymore by the US except cluster bombs(those are conventional bang bang bombs and only used in open warfare)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

That is why such weaponry is illegal.

Fletchette rounds are NOT illegal. Most countries have them.
It's illegal to use them in war zones with high concentrations of civilian non-combatants, same goes for white phosphorous. You are likely to maim or kill more civilians than you are actual adversaries.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

The US does not use napalm on troops anymore. Phosphourous rounds are used for marking purposes only these days as well because both napalm and that are in humane weapons. Incindiaries are usually used on hard targets and not on soldiers individually fro once again humanitarian concerns. DU is used on vehicles and armor specifically and not generally wasted on ground troops. Almost all of what you mentioned isnt used on troops or fighters anymore by the US except cluster bombs(those are conventional bang bang bombs and only used in open warfare)

So do we get a "MOST HUMANE KILLERS" award for that or something?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Murder is murder, so its really just semantics regarding there weapon of choice. Granted these flechette shells are an area of effect type weapon but there not the only ones being used.

The real point is that Israel should not be firing anything into a heavily populated civilian areas!

Shame on them.

edit on 21-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: yuppa

So do we get a "MOST HUMANE KILLERS" award for that or something?

Every nation kills people. No one should get a award for killing someone. its always a failure when you have to resort to death. Know why we dont use hollow point bullets in the military? Because they kill to often. the rounds the US uses are mostly for maiming purposes(and actually all geneva nations) because it takes 3 out of the fight when you wound one person. SHould we stop doing that and just go for outright kills?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join