It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Edit Feature: Edited

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think, i do, quite deeply sometimes.

And i believe this is a wrong move like RATS. I would not post if didn�t feel so strongly about this site. But i do. No matter what other members may think of me.

This is how it is for me.

Since joining ats i have had some great fun. Adding opinion, posting topics i discovered new things here at ats where i would never have learnt anywhere else. It�s like a sanctuary. Somewhere i can come and see the opinions of people and converse with them on topics which are laughed at and ridiculed by most. I enjoy it so much that it has kept me going while i quit a certain habit [cannabis] and has made my playstation obsolete [im thinking of selling it]. Although my posting has never been really excessive i still enjoy adding what i believe, my perspective to threads that i feel i could contribute to. I love ats even though it can feel a cold and lonely place now and again.

The edit feature was important.

Sometimes i will make a post and sometimes not get a response so after some careful scrutiny which may have happened normally more then 2 hours later but usually the next day i would use the edit feature and get the response i was looking for. Sometimes it can be something very simple a change in the grammar and people will post. This i have put down to what i call post snobbery. "Oh i can�t reply in that thread when the member has such bad grammar or has explained his topic imperfectly"

So you see this edit ability was very important to me, like another member said earlier

Originally posted by SkipShipman
End Users Want Control

Yes that is exactly it! People want control over their computing, and it appears more like the strategy of a netnanny than anything else, to remove editing features that have been part of the "abovetopsecret." experience.

This is true. Sort of.

I can see that it must be infuriating to go in to a thread and find that someone has altered a response which may spin a whole new light on a thread as being read by a member who was not involved with that thread at the time, but people who do that sort of thing are idiots. Do we all have to suffer for their stupidity?

Is there not some way we as members can earn the right to have our edit function switched on permanantly. Especially in marg and Sauron's case they have valid reason.

This reply and the one i wrote on the other subject of RATS have taken a good part of my evening. You see im not exactly a brainiac who can whip up a solid reply on a subject [like Majic, im not having a pop mate] just like that. And as i said maybe tomorrow when i log back in i might think, "dope that grammar is terrible it�s a no wonder SO hasn�t replied." But i have spent this time because i feel strongly about these two issues.

I wonder why there is little input on this subject.

Is it that ats members feel the same way i do but don't reply because there afraid they might get banned or warned or because like me they would like to say "well stuff you and your bl@@dy site" but don�t want to because they to have found refuge here?

Sorry if i sound like a drama queen, but the edit button, please. extend it to a week or so.

Edited unnecessary drama, no harm done, or is there? you tell me.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by kode]

[edit on 8-12-2004 by kode]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I hear ATS v4.5 will have the infamous paperclip assistant tag along and make automatic corrections for you....

Oh man! That was the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

It works on so many levels.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by Majic]

(Sorry, I was just feeling a little nostalgic there for a moment...)

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I can't edit my posts anymore.....

You mean people really have to see how bad of a speller I am now?!

I'm assuming this is just temporary...

[edit on 12/2/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

Shh don't tell anyone EnronOutrunHomerun what you just came upon is the start of a MOD conspiracy to drive people crazy at ABOVETOPSECRET.COM.

Remember now this is all hush hush, do not tell a sole....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
One of my favorite features is the edit because I rarely get anything written right the first time. When I came here to ATS I was really suprised that I could go back & edit something days later. I became used to it & it was nice to edit be able something that you made a mistake on or needed to clarify because the original thought was written at 3AM or something. While it is less convenient it is the norm at most places & once your aware of it it forces you to write your post more carefully. Hopefully it won't keep people from posting subject they're on the fence with - knowing that if they do they wont have the option of removing it later. I happen to prefer the new way of editing, but a friendly warning would have been mighty nice.

While we're on the subject of changing that feature & it's limited to 2 hours how about putting a 15 minute limit on the little box that says [edited by x on x day]. I always wondered why some people don't delete that box when going in for their second & third edits.

My only complaint is it seems some the changes made here at ATS lately are done without a warning. Suddenly I was barred from using RATS the other day & now I can't edit a post that I would have been able to a few days ago. It would be nice to let people know ahead of time when & what changes are being made, so we can prepare and expect them. It almost appears ATS has become institutionalized - did someone just retire from the federal penitentary and get a job running ATS or I'm I being redirected to the Feds version of ATS?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Comment: If you did not have editing, well, how could you update pictures like this?

Seriously things change fast these days, and with zero editing after two hours now, at least allow people to withdraw posts when we want.

Anyway what's next, no more quoting? At least you can quote yourself and use that function to edit your earlier post, although you will have two posts instead of one.

By the way, laid back computer US companies people have flexible time, not rigid deadlines, and out produce even by cost benefit ratio and more the black hole of Calcutta computer Company. There they only have two hours to complete a task, and they debug everything, but still dream companies such as SAS do a better job. Why? Because they can complete their tasks in their natural order of time. The better they do their job, the more they profit themselves and their company.

So will we watch the overall quality drop while ATS et al continues so called but actually Orwellian "improvements," such as taking away editing capacity?

[edit on 9-12-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New feature, numerous reasons.

The edit button is "on" for two hours after you create your post... which should be plenty of time to review spelling and make improvements.

With the exception of:

1. When you work and can't constantly monitor your posts,
2. ATSNN articles.

This bit me in the arse today. An ATSNN reporter recommended an edit to an article and "no can do" because I was at work and the 2 hours had passed.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
With the exception of:

1. When you work and can't constantly monitor your posts,
2. ATSNN articles.

This bit me in the arse today. An ATSNN reporter recommended an edit to an article and "no can do" because I was at work and the 2 hours had passed.

Wait a tick.....So this feature even limits the edit time that moderators and admins (or I guess in your case Val...ex-moderators "with privlages" *wink wink* - lol)

That seems more like a step backwards with regards to monitoring the quality of our posts....

Or am I just missing something? Maybe just the admins can edit now??

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

A stellar expression of what you have lost.

I wonder when there will be... uh... never mind.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Wait a tick.....So this feature even limits the edit time that moderators and admins (or I guess in your case Val...ex-moderators "with privlages" *wink wink* - lol)

That seems more like a step backwards with regards to monitoring the quality of our posts....

Or am I just missing something? Maybe just the admins can edit now??

No...you're not missing something, you're adding something. I don't have "priveleges"...I'm just like you - under-priveleged and time-constrained.

lol

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
No editing after two hours!!!! I dont want to make a fuss but that stinks!!...a real downer

When things get chopped up it becomes an annoyance! A discussion board with lacking features, is like a synopsis with out a subject.

I liked the old editing feature blah.........

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
For some odd reason, this is no longer in effect. Iv been seeing my edit buttons returning, and I just edited a post from over 4 hours ago.

Error? Mishap? Something to do with the errors people were reporting earlier?

Maybe not...from what I can tell, the length has been changed from somewhere between 6 and 12 hours, since I can edit a post from just under 6 hours ago, but not my post directly before that 12 hours ago.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join