It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hey there,

I've been debating signing up here for some time now. I was introduced to the Forum by a chap named Alan whom I lived near for a couple of years. Sadly he passed away from cancer back in 2012 but I never forgot the interesting conversations I had with him.

I live in the Midlands in the UK, I'm a keen study of life in general. I think my first exposure to the idea of there being more to the world than what is initially obvious, would have been the realisation of that which had been fed to me as fact could not have been. Specifically, as a child at a C of E school, a vicar would preach in assembly every couple of weeks. As far as I was concerned at 8 years old, this was historical fact. After careful deliberation, I have decided that there is no God and that the stories that are taught are recycled folklore, Pagan mythology and brainwashing first put in place by the Roman Empire to control the conquered populations.

I began to see that the stories in the news also need not be truth, at least not wholly. I am aware of the bias and spin that smothers the facts. I am also aware that we, as a society, are told what to do and how to act and what to wear and what is and isn't acceptable in society.

Now, I believe that it is important to challenge the media and to decided for myself and for everyone else to decide for themselves what is true and how they should act. I would certainly say, that because of this, world events and social conditioning are my interests on the board and off of it. I also have an interest in religion and its role in todays society, no matter which faith it is.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you all and getting stuck in.

Matt

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Oddkid

\Welcome to ATS..here are your complimentary welcome cookies...enjoy!

Des

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Hi from a fellow Brit

There's just as much BS in this place as there is on the news etc, beware!

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

G,day mate and welcome
enjoy the road of discovery

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Welcome fellow Brit
Hold on tight it gets bumpy here
also, beware the 'prove it crowd'

see ya around

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks very much everyone. Yeah I imagine the 'Prove it' crowd is common to the forum. That's what debate groups are I guess.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hello! *waves*

Have a

to go with Des' cookies.

You might want to add to this one....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Fellow Brit here from SE.

Enjoy the site!

But don't say anything too harsh or you'll be docked points.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hey, thanks very much! Its not about being harsh, its about structured debate.

new topics

top topics

join