It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pic from Mars rover revealing... a beam of wood!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Nice try, Bird, but that rock or wood beam, or whatever that is, has nothing, and I repeat NOTHING that's even closely similar to the other rocks on the entire image. Of course there is a slight shadow coming from the side of the object (the one facing the Rover), but only slight, and the top and the extremities of the object do appear clear enough to say that it's not an optical illusion created by shadows and perspective, but rather a solid object with a "rugged" texture

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It is clearly a piece of cake -or pie. Allthough it looks woody, I must say it reminds me more of a brownie than a piece of wood or rock

E_T

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
...but it's too damn angular and regularly-shaped to have been made by nature...
You think nature can't make something angular?
Here's angular rocks for you... but maybe some human did all those. (and that flat surface)

(bigger picture is ~ 0.5 MB)

Reason why certain rocks breaks angularly is in their crystal structure, which is often very angular... and it can be even like cube.
That rock might have been blown up from under the surface by impact which explains why it hasn't eroded so fast as other. (some rocks are much harder than others)

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wether its a rock, petrified wood, or aslab of pie, I dont know. But if you enlarge the pic, put your cursor in the middle of the object in question, then move your cursor dow about 1 inch, you see something poking up through the soil that looks very similar to the object in question.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Dum dum dummmmmm!

Want a conspiracy, I'll give you all something to think about..

Normally, when I view pictures like this press release from nasa, and anything arouses my senses, I just zoom on over to nasa.gov and look for the close up of the item in question.

Now, considering the rover tracks go directly over this 'object', I figured they'd have some nifty close ups of this object.

Upon searching, I noticed something odd...

(To have some pity on the dial ups, I chose to link to the pictures in question instead of loading the pics)

In this picture you'll see the object in question just below the horizon. This picture was taken on the 114th SOL (day)..

So I mosey around a little more, and to my amusement, NASA actually spent quite some time around this 'object'...

On the 115th SOL, you'll see the object much closer.. but nothing that we havent seen so far... (notice we're already past the object)

And again, on the 116th SOL you'll see the object, and much more rover tracks around it...

And well, on the 119th SOL you'll noticed we're still right on top of it...

Thats 5 days NASA spent in this area, and all we have to show for it is a handful of pictures out of very many.. what's in those pictures? What pictures were taken on the 117th and 118th SOL (Navcam) that they refused to post? And before you say that perhaps the rover wasnt in operation, you might note its panoramic pictures taken on the 117th and 118th, but not one single navigation and hazcam picture? Hmmmm?

EDIT: Add

I also want to point out a high resolution jpg of the same one the author of this post presented..

Hi Resolooooshion!

[edit on 12/3/2004 by QuietSoul]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
We were talking(?) about this pic and some other unusual pics a while back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have to admit that I too am becoming irritated by the, now standard, 'photoshopped' answer to anything that looks unusual, without backing it up with why it looks 'photoshopped'. The image does look like a composite of many images to give the panoramic view, but to think that someone at NASA is gonna paste in a plank.........well, it would be hilarious, but I don't think they'd allow it on the site.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The picture in question is a composite of all the pictures taken on the 115th SOL located here individually.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Man... I just can't believe waht I'm seeing here... and that's an OFFICIAL pic from the NASA!!!

The picture is 'official'. The claim that thats a peice of wood is not.

[edited to remove ludicrously big pic, mea culpa, didn't realize it'd be that big]

That single pic can just kill the NASA

Why would it kill NASA?

but something's wrong. They should at least give an interpretation on the nature of that object... even if it's a flawed interpretation.

No, nasa should not be required to follow up on every thing every time some guy thinks that he sees something in one of their pics.

this page has the pic in other types of view. In one of the very large files of the photo, you can get a good view of the object
such as this one
It doesn't appear to be a 'shadow' or anything like that.

It also doesn't appear to be a peice of 'wood'. I don't see why it should be considered a peice of wood rather than a peice of rock, especially since it looks rather angular.

You also imply that there is a coverup. Really, a coverup? nasa doesn't want people to know about this thing, so they cover it up by releasing pictures of it to everyone?

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

but it's too damn angular and regularly-shaped to have been made by nature

Nature makes objects with angles all the time, especially rocks can break along crystal axes and come out in block shapes.

netchiken
There appear to be tracks running right to the "wood"

Good call. Looks like they got pretty close to it too, and were able to see it from different angles. It'd be nice if anyone had some of those photos. I think that this also brings out the idea that they aren't investigating it. They seem to have gone up to it to look at it. They probably said, 'ok, fine, its not a damned peice of wood, let me have the remot controller back man my turns not over yet'

blind
but i could photo shop that in about an hour. so its iffy.

Its a photo hosted by nasa, why would they be faking and photospping peices of rock that look a little like wood?

echtelion
has nothing, and I repeat NOTHING that's even closely similar to the other rocks on the entire image

Yes, its an odd rock.

kidfinger
you see something poking up through the soil that looks very similar to the object in question.

Wow, another good call. Looks like its not even that lonley of a rock.

edit to add Sol 117 photos
Right, Opportunity Sol 117
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
Left, Opportunity Sol 117
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
Courtesty of nasa and sci.geo.geology

Sol 117

source"O n sol 117, which ended at 11:47 a.m. May 2, Spirit
drove 37 meters (121 feet) to a small ridge, where
the vehicle experienced a pitch up of 12.2 degrees.
Engineers believe that the change in tilt caused the
vehicle to recompute its "goodness map," which
helps the rover autonomously drive over the
martian terrain, and the rover declared that it was
not safe to continue its drive. One good thing that
came out of this is that the end-of-drive tilt
positioned the solar arrays to maximize afternoon
solar exposure, and the rover's battery state of
charge is in good health. "

Sol 118

source
Sol 118 was a record-breaking driving sol for Spirit. The
Gusev Crater rover moved 92.4 meters (303 feet) across the
surface in one sol, breaking its previous record of around
90 meters (295 feet). The Opportunity rover still has Spirit
beat with a one-sol driving record of 140 meters (459.3 feet).

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure what that is, but I think your forgetting IT'S AN ALIEN WORLD.

You conspiracy people need to calm down, Nasa isn't covering up life on Mars or anything.

Your probably the same people who still think there is a Alien made "face" on Mars.

I doubt Mars has life, let alone intelligent. Theres no hidden canals or cities or pyramids or a martian face or trees.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Posted by : Nygdan

Sol 118

: source
Sol 118 was a record-breaking driving sol for Spirit. The
Gusev Crater rover moved 92.4 meters (303 feet) across the
surface in one sol, breaking its previous record of around
90 meters (295 feet). The Opportunity rover still has Spirit
beat with a one-sol driving record of 140 meters (459.3 feet).

This is not true in 2 ways.

1) What you posted was in fact a record-breaking driving sol for SPIRIT .. we're talking about a picture captured by Oppurtunity.

and

2) Above, if you look at the picture from SOL 119 (Check my above post), you'll clearly see the 'object' in the picture on 119.. 5 days after we first see it..

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
What you posted was in fact a record-breaking driving sol for SPIRIT

Oh crap! My mistake.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If it is or not it still looks like a plank of wood or drift wood to me no doubt they will say that the picture is from the testing of the crafts on beach's some place. To see if it can handle surface conditions or something pretty strange to see that though.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
I'm not sure what that is, but I think your forgetting IT'S AN ALIEN WORLD.

You conspiracy people need to calm down, Nasa isn't covering up life on Mars or anything.

Your probably the same people who still think there is a Alien made "face" on Mars.

I doubt Mars has life, let alone intelligent. Theres no hidden canals or cities or pyramids or a martian face or trees.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Murcielago]

Granted.... wheres your evidence?

Why don't you do some research, theres MANY astronauts who will tell you with the straightest face that they've seen UFOs, flown by extraterrestrials.. not humans. Not to mention NASA itself has stated publically that life exists outside of our atmosphere, whether its microbial or not, if smaller lifeforms exist than surely larger lifeforms are also possible..
and btw, that photo from mars you posted, even the scientists who studied those photos when they first returned to earth were perplexed, one even yelled saying "there's a face on mars" also if you look at that particular photo in the immediate area you can see what looks to be pyramids some broken and some still intact, now unless your a pilot and have experience viewing things from above like the people who studied the photos you have no case to argue. Not to mention you haven't been there. Astronauts have been in space and from their accounts I have concluded aliens to exist, many races of aliens exist and it is common knowledge among those whose job it is to control their activity.

EDIT:

Now my guess is that its petrified wood, if definately looks like petrified wood which I've seen lots... it looks somewhat half buried in the sand.
As to "Why, the photo"?..
My guess is that its a test... to see peoples reaction, they're building the stairs to the truth.... Its obvious that once upon a time Mars was more lucious even then the earth itself.

[edit on 4/12/04 by dnero6911]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
dnero6911 - I didn't say aliens dont exist, I simply said that they are not living on Mars. Also, Do you have any links on Nasa saying they have prro of life beyond earth? As far as I know the answer remains NO. If you think you heard that I think that who ever said that was just speculating.

I believe there is life out there, I think anyone who undstands just how BIG the universe is has to believe that were no the only ones.

Also, it only looks like a "face" when you have a bad camera with the light just right. Newer Sats have showed its nothing more then a mountain. Nature can make human like things to ya know.

E_T

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
About that grooved angular rock of thread's starting post, grooves are common in sedimentary rocks.
(and neither I have yet seen tree with angular trunk althought ~2/3 of Finland is covered by forests)

Also these rocks breaks very angularly when pieces are looked from certain directions.
In this bigger picture from other place you can see some piles with very angular pieces. (some of those piles reminded me about piles of books
)

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Looks to me as though its wood- Plank-OR-sleeper that the Mars National Railways used to lay there rails on, the rest having been destroyed by bush fires along with vegetation and trees & the rails corroded away years ago this piece of timber survived because it was green at the time.
May be this is all Trickery done at one of Walt Disneys old disused studios!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Its noah's ark. The flood was huge and reached all the way to Mars...Noah landed and started a mars colony called the Noah experience featuring God.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
ive got to admit,it does look some what out of place whatever it is? which is probably without a doubt a rock,all these people who keep saying things like its"too angular to be natural" just make me laugh,take the giants causeway in ireland for example.....totally natural but many of the rocks look like their machined!

regards!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Man, that must have been some flood!

But seriously folks, that object looks to me like a rock that looks like a piece of wood, which can mean only one thing: it's a petrified piece of wood!

That means this photograph basically proves everything I've been saying all these years, or something like that.

Really, those Mars people need to stop leaving stuff around that looks like other stuff. It's freaking people out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join