It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The world is messed up. Here is a list of everything wrong with the world.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:23 PM
1. Biofuel

Instead of powering us, we power the vehicles.

2. Messaging/Chit Chat

Instead of going out and mailing or talking to our friends by going to their house, we have become more dormant to the internet to mail everything for us.

3. Using Phone

Instead of talking on phone we text.

Instead of actual buttons to type on the phone we use crappy touch screen technology. I can't see what phone number I'm typing in. New touch screen phone is a lot harder to use than the simple old phone. This is mostly cell phones btw.

Phones were invented for emergency usage, yet we are never in an emergency when most of us just text our friends with it. Talking is faster than Texting yet, we just text.

4. Walking/Exercising

If you haven't noticed even police has been caught no longer walking around the street. You call this proper exercise?

Hint: Bicycle

No wonder the cops are fat.

Some people assume riding bicycle is proper exercise. I kid you not, it is only half true. You only exercise your legs while running/jogging works for the whole body.

Running inside rather than outside. Seriously, it is just running. How hard can it be?

If you guys haven't noticed both are a waste of resources and pollution to make them.

5. Partying

Example: Independence Day.

Everyone seems to think every party is some sort of alcohol drinking game now a days instead of a cultural festival one.
America is completely blameable for this one since Hollywood or is that so called College.

Note: Not going to post any offensive pictures, but you know you can find them on the net.

This is why some people say Americans have no culture. Get drunk and dance all we do(technically is now being just drunk).

6. Teaching Language

Instead of teaching newborn we send them off to school, college, uni, etc. Some of us are too busy working instead. This is especially in Western countries such as France, Canada and US. You see a lot of people lose their mother language. When we needed it the most during war it is gone.
Farmers are lucky as knowledge of farming is passed on.

Why do you think English written language changed so much?

Want to learn a new language or improve your own language? Pay for it. Can't? Too bad.

Makes you wonder why whenever we find humans living in jungle, or forest with animals. Doesn't want to be living in our cities.

7. Typing for everything and Failure to Decipher written languages

Before Computer became a must, we had pencils and pens. We wrote in the 80's and 90's.. It was perfect, we could tell who wrote what(decipher) and who written the words. Now, schools and work require everyone to type. Type it all out.

For a crime scene it makes it a lot harder because the typing is all the same style. Now we have people who cannot decipher peoples writing. The teachers used to be able to decipher poorly written words. Hand writing is also dying.

8. Not knowing how to Cook

Again like teaching language, parents too busy working and not teaching. Want to learn how to cook as an adult? Pay for it. So much basic knowledge and we need to pay for it.

This also applies on shopping for food. Why do you think most of us Americans always buy fast food? We no longer have such knowledge on what to buy and what to cook.

edit on 19-7-2014 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:35 PM
Perhaps, but ask the folks from the 1700s what was wrong with the world and you may get a similar response, albeit with relevant issues.

Growth is growth. What we do with it, determines who we are.

For example, many advances are produced with good intentions (e.g., nuclear energy, Internet, television, etc.), but we use them for evil and not good. It's like blaming a child for being irresponsible. It's not necessarily his/her fault. It's the guardians of that child who determine its growth and what happens.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:43 PM
a reply to: makemap

Ranting about people drinking alcohol when they celebrate, and then use the US as an example.

Perhaps you might want to do some reading as humans have been doing this for a long time.

How about we use Oktoberfest:

Large quantities of Oktoberfest Beer are consumed, with almost 7 million litres served during the 16 day festival in 2007.

It's been held since 1810.

I think if you do some research you'll find that large amounts of alcohol end up being consumed during many celebrations for as long as humans have had alcohol, so well before the US was ever around.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:48 PM
That is just proof that US has no culture. That is just one event. But, man come on we are talking about almost all holidays. Halloween is becoming an Oktoberfest dress up party.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:51 PM

The USA has tons of culture! We're a melting pot of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:51 PM
From your list it sounds like technology is at the root of our problems; displacing us from a symbiotic relationship with the natural world and, consequently, each other.

But no one wants to hear that. Crazy talk.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:06 PM

originally posted by: NthOther
From your list it sounds like technology is at the root of our problems; displacing us from a symbiotic relationship with the natural world and, consequently, each other.

But no one wants to hear that. Crazy talk.

Don't tell me you can't handle the truth

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:13 PM

ah, what the fudge, i S&F'd it anyway..

if you wanna get a bit more insight into what flipjr mentioned back there check out the recent woody allen film "midnight in paris"

you forgot miley cyrus on that list

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:23 PM
Most of the things you mentioned are not the problem, it is how they are used.

I will say that I HATE touchscreens. I also don't own a cell phone for a reason.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:51 PM
dont bad mouth typing and texting, i have severe nerve damage in my hands and i cant hold a pen and what i can hold i cant write anymore. My typing is slow but it works.

Small miracles in tech does help some of us, its not all facebook and twitter when it comes to the internet. Look at ATS, i get to read news and chat about it, i dont claim to be a genius or even have a valid opinion (ironically like this post) but i do get a chance thanks to the internet and i hope that never changes.

The rest of what you said however is pretty much dead on.

Oh and i have a motorcycle but i use my push bike whenever i can, both for simple cost saving and eco conservation. (oh and dont worry, while my hands dont work with a pen, i can hold bike handbars just fine)

edit on b49491235 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:59 PM
I worked in an office sometimes I had problems understanding what people meant on international forums:

"Hi, I've just joined this group and would like to get some references to help get up to speed and find a job".

Are those references in the sense of papers/books or as people? I don't know if it is me or just the way that others interpret words, but it just felt everything had a second meaning that I didn't know about.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:10 AM
a reply to: stormcell

that's.. kinda curious?
/poops out a coconut biscuit

it just felt everything had a second meaning that I didn't know about.

(..i think i got what you said there?)
it seems like in the end, both "references" there were encoding the same "thing" ( the end.. but differently)
(gah.. that's just horrible..)
reminds me of a priest being interviewed on radio; "all the different races are the same"
maybe someone out there can extract some juice from this pulp?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:17 AM
Well, lets just say im happy with my car and cellphone.

Not a horse drawn carriage and a carrier pigeon, which by the way was pretty much text messaging back in the what gives?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:20 AM
a reply to: Biigs

I hVe a disability where I can't hand write either. Emailing is easier.

Still though tech is the worst.

I never wanted a computer. Wouldn't get my kids one. I thought one of them would sit at it all day and become a loner, zombie. The school stopped accepting hand written work. It had to be typed out. I had to get the stupid thing. It was me who zombified. I turned into a complete computer nerd. I regret ever getting it. It's broken now so I use an iPad. I can't put it down. I have to hide it from myself.

It's not just this, it's the smart phones as well. All of it.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:41 AM
I apologize but I do not think a single thing you listed above save maybe #1 are the real problems of this world....

Technology helps people. Those who want to sit on it all day will - so what? Those who know what is important will still socialize...

Cooking? Really not hard to learn. Anybody can experiment in the kitchen. It more so boils down to a time constraint or leisure thing so people eat out instead.

Messaging allows for people all across the world to communicate instantly and it allows information to spread freely as it never has before.

As far a cell phones - okay I can agree there is a problem there with some people. But for many others the cell phone is just another useful tool for social life and gaining knowledge through the internet - also we still need the cells for when an emergency does happen.

The whole exercise thing - America has an obese problem but those who choose to live that way have the freedom to do so. If somebody is happy fat, so what? If they unhappy enough with being fat, they will exercise and lose it. Simple as that.

Partying - America certainly did not invent this and what is wrong with social gatherings? Granted drinking games often lead to trouble but....they also lead to simple fun.

Deciphering/Typing - You are simply off base here. Technology has made it even easier to find who is writing what. Sure the physical typed text looks all the same. But embedded in every post and every document are timestamps and much more information for the computer hacker who knows how to find these things - like a tech would at a crime scene.

Handwriting is dying. I'll give ya that - I cannot write pretty for the life of me.

SnF nonetheless. Good rant.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:49 AM
I happen to agree with the reply G.K Chesterton sent to an editor who had requested an essay on what was wrong with the world. He said only:

I am.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:50 AM

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
-Douglas Adams

People change, society changes, technology changes. Just because they seem out of place to you, does not mean that they are out of place or unnatural.

The world can only go forward, barring a massing global catastrophe. You can keep fighting the progress, but you will not win and will only end up jaded and defeated. Embrace the new, or ignore it, but fighting it is a pointless endeavour.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:49 PM
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Ya, being replied from a person that has a quote of

"If you dont fight for the things you stand for you dont really stand for them - Jenny Mills"

Your words are poor, like you said everything changes that is true. But, change to what? A lot of people in US lack proper education to know what is right and what is wrong. US is wrong. Changing has to be right or wrong in order to be natural.

So your going to say when people start getting brainwash and become like robots you say that is proper change? That is false. The evil ones in control do not wish to change their evil ways because the people are not educated enough to know what is right and what is wrong. As far as we know we got spies that willingly to change like "Snowden", but greedy people tend to never change as long as they are in power.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:00 PM
a reply to: charles1952

Pretty bad quote on my thread to be honest. His worlds are so behind in today's society, it makes it look like he trying to be a politic leader.

Did you know we already have GMO beers?

Still cannot handle the truth?

Albert Einstein was poor in language, but great on Science and Math. Now we all require to write Essays in order to pass language degree. At least he had basic knowledge in language able to speak and write.

edit on 20-7-2014 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:48 PM

Dear makemap,

If you're really responding to my post, and not someone else's, then I offer an apology for disappointing you. But I am surprised by your criticism. Chesterton had no interest in politics or leading, except perhaps for a general dislike of them. He was a writer and journalist, and, after a certain point in his adult life, he became Catholic.

His works, although not his journalism, are considered timeless. They are bringing pleasure to people today. His poetry, his "Father Brown" series of mysteries, and his stories such as The Napoleon of Notting Hill are still appreciated and enjoyed.

I agree with his quote because if I look into my heart I can see everything that's wrong with the world; hatred, greed, selfishness, an endless list of evil. Thanks to God's grace, I can keep many of those things in check almost all of the time, but they're there - all of the urges that have messed up the world.

With respect,

top topics

<<   2 >>