It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Examples of What Liberalism REALLY Is

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Liberalism is the "catch all bucket" for everything conservatives don't agree with.

Conservatives are locked into "same think" controlled society mindset they deem acceptable.

Liberals are the thinkers, the individuals, the color outside the line people --- which is great --- but, makes cohesion of "same think" difficult when it comes to political control.

It really astounds me when Conservatives state all liberals are alike. Conservatives seriously need long term self reflective therapy.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: theantediluvian

a reply to: theantediluvian

You can't honestly sit there and tell me that progressive-liberalism is for more freedom.

(With a straight face?)

You're confusing Democratic politicians with progressive ideology. When was the last time a Republican gave you more liberty or a smaller government? Does that mean that conservatives are for less liberty and more government? Funny how quick the mainstream conservatives are to go on a "liberty grab" when it comes to imposing their religion-based morality on everyone.

I find fault in both republicans and democrats. They both embrace a progressive ideology.

Libertarianism, conservatism, are the antithesis of progressivism. I made the mistake in the past of voting republican.

Now I will vote for the candidate who espouses more freedoms, less government. Don't really care what the tiny letter after the name is.

Ah.

Rule #3. Always claim to be an independent even though when you vote, it's always for a Republican.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Can I ask you something as a "left of center" individual?

What issues are you willing to compromise on so everyone can get along?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

When was the last time a Republican gave you more liberty or a smaller government?

I believe his name is Timothy Draper of California and I think he's a Republican,,,,,,,,
I need to research that a little more, but his idea is sound.

Draper, 56, said that California's government is dysfunctional in part because the state is too large. Cleaving California into six smaller pieces would create states with governments closer to the people, he said.

"When the people and their state are no longer in sync, and large populations feel that they are not being represented and when the state fails to provide the services that it promises to our citizens, then we lose our democracy," Draper said, reading his speech from an iPad.

Linky
Won't do California any harm,,,,,,,ROFLMAO

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I just can't believe we're this many posts in and nobody has mentioned:

1. The Constitution
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Benghazi

But look! You just did.

But that's just because I'm more patriotic and love freedom more than just about everyone in this thread combined (obviously). You should see the size of my flag pin — I've actually had to reinforce my lapels.
edit on 2014-7-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Liberals are the thinkers, the individuals, the color outside the line people --- which is great --- but, makes cohesion of "same think" difficult when it comes to political control.
ROFLOL

And Liberal "Deep Thinkers" are responsible for all the major depressions and they are masters at creating giant bankruptcies not to mention the biggest government failures in history.

And of course, they are ultra-Masters of deceptions like the locked voting districts that have the highest crime and poverty and always vote Democrat with no solutions and continuing failure.

Liberals *ARE* "The Great Society" indeed.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Rule #3. Always claim to be an independent even though when you vote, it's always for a Republican.

Don't forget #3.5

Always claim independence and say there's no difference between "Parties", but always bash Conservatives only.

Then Pull the Left Lever on the voting machine every time in "private".

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

like the fact that Democrats have a lock/cinch on voting districts with the highest crime and poverty levels.

They also have the wealthiest and smartest people. Republicans have rednecks, greedy people and ancient people.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua
As a former resident of California, it makes me laugh at how accurate some parts are and how accurate other parts are. Take the top part of California. Now divided it it into the coast and the rest of the top part. Weed for the coast? Yes. The rest of the top half of the state is ultra conservative rednecks. *gasp* in California? Yup. It is true. The second one down should read "We can't breath the air."

I voted for a Democrat (congressman), Republican (senator), Libertarian (president) and Green party (city council woman) all in the same election. So that doesn't really work. I voted for who I thought was best for the job and ignored party affiliation.
edit on 19-7-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

like the fact that Democrats have a lock/cinch on voting districts with the highest crime and poverty levels.

They also have the wealthiest and smartest people. Republicans have rednecks, greedy people and ancient people.
ROFLMFAO !!

Just goes to show ya how Liberals are so hypocritical and pseudo-logical, and Conservatives are fairly steady.

edit on Jul-19-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Can I ask you something as a "left of center" individual?

What issues are you willing to compromise on so everyone can get along?

Anything that makes sense. Here's a few things off the top of my head:

- far less corporate welfare
- no more asinine foreign "interventions"
- replacing the ACA (which is basically a form of corporate welfare)
- reining in Presidential overreach
- prevent the EPA from garnishing wages without a court order

There are plenty of things we can all agree on that aren't directly partisan in nature:

- repeal the Patriot Act
- stop NSA spying
- fix the VA (we're spending more than double what we did in 2001 and people are dying waiting to see a doctor?)
- greatly simplify the tax code
- legislate net neutrality
- term limits for Senate
- meaningful campaign finance reform
- term limits for SCOTUS
- end the War on Drugs

but this thread isn't about what we can all agree on is it? It's just the 20th daily convening of the conservative mutual appreciation society

EDIT:
How about Reining in the 'Too Big to Fail' banks?

edit on 2014-7-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The amount of 'isms' that exist in politics and philosophy is pretty strong evidence that nobody has a clue how a country should be run, however clever they are.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Anything that makes sense. Here's a few things off the top of my head:

- far less corporate welfare
- no more asinine foreign "interventions"
- replacing the ACA (which is basically a form of corporate welfare)
- reigning in Presidential overreach
- prevent the EPA from garnishing wages without a court order

There are plenty of things we can all agree on that aren't directly partisan in nature:

- repeal the Patriot Act
- stop NSA spying
- fix the VA (we're spending more than double what we did in 2001 and people are dying waiting to see a doctor?)
- greatly simplify the tax code
- legislate net neutrality
- term limits for Senate
- meaningful campaign finance reform
- term limits for SCOTUS
- end the War on Drugs

I crossed out the ones I disagreed with. So you'd be okay with lower taxes. No Obamacare. No "gun" laws.

Cool.

but this thread isn't about what we can all agree on is it? It's just the 20th daily convening of the conservative mutual appreciation society

Well, they did say there was going to be cookies.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: twfau
The amount of 'isms' that exist in politics and philosophy is pretty strong evidence that nobody has a clue how a country should be run, however clever they are.

Well.

Then who does ?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Are you *Really* *Really* sincere ?

You have countered some of that before methinks.

Hmmm.

But I'll take you at your word.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Churchill nailed it:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Funny how quick the mainstream conservatives are to go on a "liberty grab" when it comes to imposing their religion-based morality on everyone.

Except most of the "morality" is being preached by the Government and by anti-religion Progressives who are going great lengths to abolish religious freedom

False. Because no-one, not even the most progressive liberals want to abolish religious freedom, you and whoever shall well be free to celebrate your religious beliefs in your church, in your family or WHEREVER YOU WANT.

However, religion has no place in politics and it ALSO has no place in economy (aka. influencing what health benefits someone can get based on...WTF...the RELIGION of their employers? How absurd!). It also has no place in education and in general can not and should not EVER be imposed on others, UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES EVER or influence economicy or politics. And this, I am afraid, has nothing to do with abolishing religious freedom. I could care less if it's your personal priority to attend church every Sunday and say prayers before meals every day. LIBER-al comes from "liberty", means you have the liberty to do so and I am "liberal" insofar as I don't care what you do in your private home/church/family.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

False. Because no-one, not even the most progressive liberals want to abolish religious freedom

Disagree.

I think most Progressives are 100% anti-religious freedom.

If any do want religious freedom, it's because they want their "Own" religion and nobody else's, and/or they have a money/political angle they're playing.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

So you support religious freedom except in areas where you don't support religious freedom.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Huh? No, in my opinion..

Some of us want to keep religious freedom intact. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe. Especially with morality for the society in general. But, they do not have the right to force others to believe the same thing. Nor, punish them for not "being the same".

Right now, that is very lopsided.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join