It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada politician causes stir discussing why she had an abortion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I think this is a good point of view to hear since we are constantly hearing about how abortions supposedly ruin peoples' lives. This lady was pregnant young with no good options to raise a child so she had an abortion. Now she is successful and doesn't regret her decision. Though I think that abortions should be avoided as much as possible especially now that we have the morning after pill, this illustrates how people who can't take care of children will probably turn out better by not having them. I can't imagine any circumstance where it's good for a young woman to have a child.

Nevada Assemblywoman Lucy Flores Defends Decision To Speak Out About Her Abortion

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And then again, we also hear about young women in dire circumstances with no where to turn, drowning in a sea of confusion and fear, that follow through with their pregnancy and rejoice at their decision later when everything works out okay and they, too, rise above their circumstances and move on to success and prosperity.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
And there are also those of us, despite the unforgiving circumstances, regret our choice or lack thereof to this day.
TMI, I think, as far as this person's disclosure.
But that's just me. It's a very private matter.
tetra50

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I can't imagine any circumstance where it's good for a young woman to have a child.

Seriously ?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good.

Women need to speak up about this and stop treating it like a dirty little secret.

Abortion needs to come out of the closet.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I can't imagine any circumstance where it's good for a young woman to have a child.

Seriously ?

Give me one, just one unselfish reason to have a child.

edit on 19-7-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
And then again, we also hear about young women in dire circumstances with no where to turn, drowning in a sea of confusion and fear, that follow through with their pregnancy and rejoice at their decision later when everything works out okay and they, too, rise above their circumstances and move on to success and prosperity.

So?

She had that choice. You live with your choice.

NOT other peoples choices they make for you.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That's true. Nobody is saying anything different. We all live and die with the choices we make and some of those choices are about life and death.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Seriously ?

What ?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50
"And there are also those of us, despite the unforgiving circumstances, regret our choice or lack thereof to this day.
TMI, I think, as far as this person's disclosure.
But that's just me. It's a very private matter. "
To me the critical point of your post is the idea of a lack of choice. There is one party today which is determined to remove that right from women. I do not see how the term "pro-life" is more accurate than "anti-choice:.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

Don't get me wrong. I am totally pro choice.

It can be no one else's choice but the woman's, I believe.

Still, that choice, for many women, is a horrible one to make, to have to make. And most do so alone. Then again, why should it be anything else, for you will be breast feeding your child alone when he/she is born….even if you are married, no one else will share that unique and total responsibility with you, really, even if the father is present.

Tet

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Seriously ?

What ?

Repeat.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Seriously ?

What ?

Repeat.

My God.

Further explanation is required !!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Annee:

I may be wrong, but I don't think the desire to procreate is that easily nailed down.

Forgive me for saying this, but I think procreation is a matter of biology, reinforced later by social pressure, as to, in particular the socialization of women.

However, I have to say, I could have had no explanation, scientific or objective or otherwise,when I found I was pregnant and married (a given, good situation for pregnancy, by definition), why exactly it was this was a joyous event….

In other words, I didn't THINK it was because my family cared, my husband cared, etc. I cared, and couldn't have said why, really. It wasn't that I would have someone to love me back, or because there would be another one of me….
it wasn't for any of those reasons.

I think it most likely it was because the miracle of reproducing life is such a friggin, absolute miracle that I could not fathom it, but wanted to experience it. And I have to say, when I did, as a new birthing mother, I knew instantly how much I cared or didn't care about others, in opposition to the child I held in my arms, suddenly….

It was the most beautiful experience I have ever been priveledged to have….truly….and at some point, there are no words, nor reasons for it. for the world is horrifying, and had I thought about it, planned it, known, I likely would have "chosen" otherwise……
But it taught me so much: though, the value of my life, and her's and what I would do to see her survive…
tetra

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

they, too, rise above their circumstances and move on to success and prosperity.

Only if their parents are wealthy or are willing to raise the child in their home. Otherwise the woman will be poor and suffer.

Only people who are able and desire to have children should. I had mine at 38 (well their mom "had" them) which was a bit late, but it's good because we can take much better care of them now that I have a decent job.

I can't imagine a teenager being able to raise a kid without their parents or the government paying for almost all of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

So?

She had that choice. You live with your choice.

NOT other peoples choices they make for you.

You'd be right ... unless you were aborted, and then your own mother made the decision to end your life for you.

However, every day we get closer to a time when other people in the form of government are getting closer and closer to making too many of our choices for us.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I can't imagine a teenager being able to raise a kid without their parents or the government paying for almost all of it.

Unless....

A Husband has steady job with sufficient income.

Are you saying that is totally impossible ?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
One unselfish reason?

OK. I got pregnant even though I didn't want to be, and even though the law says I can keep my freedom from children, I think that the price is too high. Instead of selfishly keeping my child-free and easy life, I choose to have the child whom I recognize as having the right to its own life no matter how much I never intended for the life to occur.

I'd say that's pretty unselfish.

edit on 19-7-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

they, too, rise above their circumstances and move on to success and prosperity.

Only if their parents are wealthy or are willing to raise the child in their home. Otherwise the woman will be poor and suffer.

Only people who are able and desire to have children should. I had mine at 38 (well their mom "had" them) which was a bit late, but it's good because we can take much better care of them now that I have a decent job.

Well, to be blunt, you're wrong. I personally know two such women and neither had wealthy parents. As a matter of fact, in both cases, their parents were practically absent. One of the girls was only 16 and her parents were divorced. Her situation seemed dire to say the least. She is a talented prosperous 40 year-old today with a 24 year old daughter, who is educated and beautiful, I might add. I'm sure that young lady thanks her mother everyday for choosing life. But, to each his own. Some have the faith and fortitude to make it happen and others don't or can't for some reason. I'm not their judge.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

There is always adoption.

No one ever mentions that route.

My husband was adopted. His mother was 16 and unwed. She not only made the unselfish choice of not aborting him, but she made the even more unselfish choice of giving him up to parents who desperately wanted a child and couldn't have one.

I have two nephews with similar stories.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join