It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Almighty!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
How many have seen this? I thought it was a pretty good flick. Had some great concepts around God. Not to mention...by establishing God's "rules", Christians may have found a better out than "God works in mysterious ways"...by using a line from the movie "God cannot interfere with free will".

So, what did you think of the movie, and more importantly, what did you think of how they handled God?

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I haven't seen it yet, but I thought it was pretty interesting that they put a black man (Morgan Freeman) as God (hopefully I am not insulting anyone by saying this).

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by TheCatalyst]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
God is Black

The First man according to the Bible was Adam. The Black Man is the oldest race in the world. God created a black man Adam in his own image.

Black is the combination of all colors. God is the god for all people.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
actually, technically, while in principle i would agree with most of your logic, white is the combination of all colors, black is the absence of color, that's why space is black, it's a void, nothing there

AF1

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
God isn't a race, religion or creed.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Pardon me, but if I'm remembering art class correctly (and I am), black is the combination of all the colors and white is the absense.

As far as the color of Adam and Eve, I'll not enter into that debate, I'll just mention that most theologians would disagree, based on what the Bible indicates from a couple of points. The major thing is that it is for all of us as He created all of us and His Son died for all of us.

It is intersting to me, though, how people pick up on such points as color and, to be totally honest, that never figured in my mind when I've seen the previews.

Pity. Color seems to be a factor so much of the time.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:52 AM
link   
"actually, technically, while in principle i would agree with most of your logic, white is the combination of all colors, black is the absence of color, that's why space is black, it's a void, nothing there"

Both true and false...

When you are speaking of pigments, then black is the combination of all colors. If you were to mix red, yellow, blue, etc. together, you would get black. When you are speaking instead of light, if you were to shine a white light through a prism, you would then see it separate into colors, so with light, all colors together are white. Black (as in space) is then the absense of light. Color is only perceived as reflected light, so without light, or anything to reflect it, you have black.

The first humans were neither black, nor white, but of a race before either, before geographic adaptations that created the races as they are today.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   
well i was half right

thanx Gazrok

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think it is rather unfortunate that people as racist as illmatic post on these boards. The concept of god being black is just as ridiculous as the concept of god being white. You also truly show your blindness, for someone who in other posts seems mildly intelligent, in the ignorant acceptance of the theory that "blacks" are the oldest race on the planet. This is a scientific and biological theory, not ever proved as being fact. I tend to believe that there was an evolutionary split that occured somewhere in asia minor that led to the creation of races (read this theory in time magazine some time ago). Seems a little more valid than everyone evolving out of the black race, if you ask me.

I also find it funny that you harbor a religious idea spouted by the extremely racist religious faction dubbed "the five percenters". tisk tisk.

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by goregrinder]

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If everyone evolved out of the black race, then logically, wouldn't it follow that the black race then didn't evolve any further? Talk about weakening your own arguement....

Personally, I ascribe to the theory that all of the current races started out from an ancestor who would not bear much resemblance to any modern race, and that all modern races are equally evolved...

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
the Neanderthals of Europe. Sorry for losing sight of the thread Gazrok, Bruce Almighty was a great flick!

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Gore, read a book.

Africa is where humans evolved and the black man is the oldest man in the universe. Why do you think black genes are so dominant and white genes are recessive?

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
"Why do you think black genes are so dominant and white genes are recessive?"

Not only is it a racist comment, but it's also incorrect. The black gene is a dominant recessive gene. Hence, there will be no denying black parentage when the baby comes. If you try to use genetics to bolster the idea that the black race is "more advanced" than any other, you're only hurting your own arguement (as I mentioned in the previous post). I could point to citing test scores, grades, and the fact that affirmative action, and the lowering of standards for races, to refute your claims, but it's a pointless and unnecessary endeavor, as no race is "more advanced" than any other. In fact, if we truly examine it, we'll likely see that the Asians are ahead of both...

You are an intelligent man, Illmatic. Please don't muddy this by going down such a road....

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Not only is it a racist comment, but it's also incorrect.

Would it be a racist comment if a white person said it? It's not incorrect, it's correct. And I'm not trying to boast here, I'm just stating clear facts. How come two black parents can have a white baby but two white parents can't have a black baby?

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Did I hear someone say genetics?!?

Sorry to bore everyone, but who knows as someone may actually be interested in the genetic argument to this black and white dominance discussion. I won't get overly technical in the explanation.

Illmatic is correct, black genes are much more dominant than those of white-pigmented people. People have given their artistic and philosophical argument, here is my genetic one.

A few definitions as I need to use a few "big words."

Homozygote The term for a zygote, or a diploid individual derived from it, which carries only one member of the alleles of a gene, that is, a zygote derived from the union of gametes identical in respect of a particular gene. The same allele is present at a given locus.

Zygote Mostly diploid cell formed by union of two gametes or reproductive cells. Ovum (female gamete) fertilized by a sperm (male gamete).

Diploid A full set of genetic material, consisting of paired chromosomes - one chromosome from each parental set. Most animal cells except the gamete have a diploid set of chromosomes. The diploid human genome has 46 chromosomes.

Gene The term for the fundamental physical and functional unit of heredity.

Explanation

Okay, dominant-recessive hereditary passage, assume the parents are carrying black and white homozygotes. The offspring will have both a black and a white gene. Nevertheless, they will be phenotypically black. This means that black is predominant in the dominant-recessive hereditary course if black and white is present genotypically.

So the black gene is dominant and the white gene is recessive.

The offspring of these genotypical heterozygotes that are phenotypically black will be each 25% black and white homozygotes because two black or white genes, respectively, were transmitted. 50% of the offspring will be genotypical heterozygotes, but they will be phenotypically black since black is the dominant gene.

Therefore, if a person has two black genes it will be phenotypically black. If a person has one black and one white gene it will also be black because black is dominant and, therefore, influences the phenotype. White animals can only originate if both genes are white.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
and such is law...

I dont think i've ever seen you enter into one of these debates Simon

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I try to stay clear of this forum especially as I am an Atheist and truthfully, don't know enough about religion to back up my claim of there not being a God.

The title of the thread caught my attention and it so happened I could actually put some knowledge into the discussion so I did.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
however, I was trying to stave off the inevitable racism that was bound to erupt here....

Illmatic's seeming arguement was that because the black gene is dominant, it is somehow more advanced....when, evolutionarily-speaking, that is not the case...nor does it fall in line with his original arguement (i.e. if all are descended from the black man, then it's the other races who must have adapted, leaving the black man behind). Again, this isn't the case I am proposing, I was simply pointing out a fallacy in the arguement.

I myself, am more of the belief that we share a common ancestor that would not be of any of today's races, as we have all adapted to our respective environments....and that none are "more advanced" than any other.

Back to the original topic...(or at least an expansion of it)

What would you do with the power of God, if given to you, as it was given to Bruce....???

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The only reason a racial explosion was going to erupt, Gazrok, was because you mentioned one.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This was your initial response to this post....

God is Black

The First man according to the Bible was Adam. The Black Man is the oldest race in the world. God created a black man Adam in his own image.

Black is the combination of all colors. God is the god for all people.

Where does this at all even mention the movie or questions posed in the thread? I won't take the fall for instigation alone, hehe...

Peace, Illmatic...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join