It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States with Higher Minimum Wage Boast Faster Job Growth

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Larger corporations will, of course, do whatever they can to reduce taxes. Personally I like a flat tax system to eliminate stupid tax holes that just complicate the whole mess. Hiring people or a person to do your taxes just adds to your operating costs.

It's not just the minimum wage that is affected by a significant increase. It creates a ripple effect that moves up the chain.

For instance, should the min wage be increased to 10/hr, how would that effect those making 8,9 or 10/hr already? Their rates would normally go up above the new min wage... there is a reason you are paying higher than min wage for those employees. What about those who are already making 11, 12 or 13 dollars? Once the 2nd tier people get their raise to increase their wage to above minimum, then you have to bump tier 3 up to differentiate them from tier 2....and so on and so on. How does that affect costs? If your raw materials involve labor (what doesn't?) then your suppliers will be faced with similar increases, likely increasing the costs of their goods. If they are mfg parts for you, then likely their raw materials are also going up for the same reason.

Bottom line is you wind up with a mix of your own increased labor costs as well as increased costs of raw materials. It becomes almost exponential....

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Ah, I am beginning to see the difference in small business and corporations. I never went into business to become a billionaire. I wanted to work for myself, pay myself, and help my community. I always had a target in mind of how much I needed to live comfortably. Day care was a very good business and I do now regret that I gave it up.

We need to take back the corporate welfare of loopholes and set a rate of say, 20%. Of course, they have all the benefits and money now, and still are not happy.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The basic principles also apply to small businesses. It's cost vs pricing.

I am not sure I fully understood your last post. Are you suggesting that corporations make obscene profits?

By loopholes I meant deductions of various kinds that can be taken advantage of, that are part of the tax code and may or may not be intended or maybe does not produce the intended consequences.

If you own a small business and have incorporated then those same deductions are available to you. I favor a flat tax for corporations, LLCs and personally owned businesses as well as personal taxes. Why in the world should a normal, average family have to hire someone to do their taxes for them to get the best deal? Insanity... Make it simpler for the filers and it will also be simpler for the IRS to process. But hey! That makes too much sense for a fat, bloated, wasteful, bureaucratic govt. that sticks their hand into your pocket whenever they feel like it.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Well, I will end this by conceding. Greed is not beatable by it definition and nature. My answer is to start promoting small local businesses who know what is needed for the community. Not some guy in China.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

That would be preferable, the unfortunate fact is the small businessman does not export anything, so in a manner of speaking he does not contribute to the country's economic bottom line. It's like a neutral entry.

Not to mention that the small businessman does not have the capacity to produce cheap electronic components. Specially resistors, diodes and the really cheap items that are mass produced in such speed and quantities to guarantee a lack of competition from a small company. Anything mass produced by modern machines that cost millions are out of reach of the small businessman.

Small business would also not be contributing towards R&D...

Greed is not defeat-able? nor is ignorance.

edit on 25-7-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Must be why all of them still need Federal aid money. Not even the reddest state can stand on its own. Pretty easy to pay those low wages with the help of all taxpayers:

www.cato.org...

Everyone takes federal aid .. your point? What does that have to do with job growth? Let's pay less Federal taxes and simply pay more in State taxes ... same thing.
edit on 26-7-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Still going?

I'll say this... it's rare any argument on ats get's "played out" on the field, war scenarios and alien invasions that never happen, theories on event that will take 40 years for the truth to be released.

But these are interesting times... regardless of opinion some of these debates will have answers. The marijuana thing is being played out right now, this one two is a ... "well we'll see now" debate.

Bottom Line is Seattle, San Diego other spots along the coast are bumping it significantly, as a guy who just got back from a nice day trip, some good Italian food an ordinary house Zinfandel that turned out to actually be fantastic... I like a "nice" lifestyle. i'll make my prediction that the minimum wage hike is something that wont even work out to be a speed bump for me and in fact improves my situation as an employer before said and done... but debate more? naaaw, it will play out from here.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

It shouldn't be. I have destroyed the argument since page 3 I think with facts. It's a lie.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
Still going?

I'll say this... it's rare any argument on ats get's "played out" on the field, war scenarios and alien invasions that never happen, theories on event that will take 40 years for the truth to be released.

But these are interesting times... regardless of opinion some of these debates will have answers. The marijuana thing is being played out right now, this one two is a ... "well we'll see now" debate.

Bottom Line is Seattle, San Diego other spots along the coast are bumping it significantly, as a guy who just got back from a nice day trip, some good Italian food an ordinary house Zinfandel that turned out to actually be fantastic... I like a "nice" lifestyle. i'll make my prediction that the minimum wage hike is something that wont even work out to be a speed bump for me and in fact improves my situation as an employer before said and done... but debate more? naaaw, it will play out from here.

I hope you are right. I am not sure what the cost of living in Seattle is, but California with their "higher than average" cost of living should have a higher minimum wage. I think it is best if localities set their minimum wage, and the feds should stay out of it. To me it makes too much sense that since cost of living varies so much from state to state and city to city that minimum wage should also vary accordingly.

I can appreciate your last paragraph lol. For me, at my age, I very much have developed a taste for good food and good spirits. I want to like beer (just seems like beer should be one of those finer things in life) but I thoroughly dislike the taste. I can appreciate a well paired wine, but I am also just not a wine lover. I have, however, discovered the world of fine spirits. The great thing is you do not have to break the bank to taste exceptional spirits. I have found that I actually like a few whiskies that run in the $30s and one in the 40s and a couple of rums that are also outstanding sipping spirits for similar prices. Toss in a couple of really smooth tequilas and I have an exceptionally fine bar going lol

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join