It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Tom, George and Ben think of the US today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If our founding Fathers were able to come back and take a look at the country they started.I wonder if they would be proud? Would they look around and see that the freedoms they started, life, liberty (except for you felons out there)and the pursuit of happiness still thrive. That the basic premise of the constitution still exists,and in a few cases, expanded (womens right to vote, and abolishing slavery for example) or would they see too many changes in the rights and things like pollution, crime rate, drug and terrorism problems..

Would they think the positives outweigh the negatives? Have we stuck to the constitution or have we veered to far from it? Do you think they would be satisfied with the way things are going or would they want to make changes. It would be very interesting to know what they would do differently.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's hard to say. While they might be opposed to the power of the Federal Government and our standing Military, I think they'd understand that they're neccessary in today's world. I wonder how they'd feel about the second amendment and many of the liberal vs. conservative issues of the day.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I really think our founding fathers would be proud of us. The United States of America, which they helped create is the most powerful, and prosperous, nation on earth!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I think that they would be not only proud, but that they would be astounded. The Founders were very much aware of the magnatude of their experiment, but also aware of the pitfalls that could contribute to its demise. I also think that they would be appallled at the condition of our culture and the way our First Amendment is often used to prevent honest discourse and yet protects indecency and profanity. They would be dismayed that the many of our urban centers have become literal war-zones and that such conditions have led many to attack the Second Amendment.

But even with all these problems, the nation chugs on and despite the detractors around the world and here at home, many people are still willing to risk death to have the opportuniities our nation provides those who are willing to work.

America is a miracle.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
They would be proud of our technological achievments, but they would be sickened that there are people willing to give up thier freedom for security. Kind of sickens me as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think they'd wonder what happened to the powdered wigs...

I dunno, there's a part of me that thinks they'd be proud, and another which thinks they wouldn't even be able to begin to comprehend the way things work now. I really don't know if they'd be able to grasp the huge difference in well, culture and politics in general.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Varies. Our FF didn't like the British because of taxation without representation. They would hate hearing of the fed income, property tax, and social security. Many of them would be enraged that slavery no longer exist.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Varies. Our FF didn't like the British because of taxation without representation. They would hate hearing of the fed income, property tax, and social security. Many of them would be enraged that slavery no longer exist.

I don't see why they would be 'enraged'. Most slave owners weren't rascist, they were... 'practical'. They'd see that the US has gotten along fine without slavery so there'd be no reason to dwell on that in particular.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Perhaps some reading on the Founding Fathers and their positions on slavery might uncloud the minds of the uneducated and miseducated:

www.christiananswers.net...

www.wallbuilders.com...

www.nationalreview.com...

members.tripod.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What would Tom, George and Ben think of the US today?

"WHAT THE # DID YOU DO WITH OUR COUNTRY!?"

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
They roll over in their graves even as we speak.

This nation is one of hatred and oppresion.

This is not the America it once was.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think they would be pleasantly surprised at how far we've come as a nation. Sure America has its flaws but it doesn't mean they cannot be fixed

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
They roll over in their graves even as we speak.

This nation is one of hatred and oppresion.

What are you talking about? Thomas Jefferson and our other Founding Father would be moved to tears at what this nation has become. In a good way. What's not to be proud of? America's the most free, most technologically advanced, proudest nation on the planet! They would be very very proud indeed!

Although I do believe they, mainly Jefferson, would be apalled at what the liberals have become.

top topics

join