It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia - Al Gore disappointed carbon tax axed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pennydrops

"The aussies are the dirtiest energy users." Not so quick. Most of US gas comes from fracking and if you watched Gasland you'd have to question its environmental concerns as well (France has banned fracking).

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus

originally posted by: gort51
a reply to: pennydrops

Actually, we are one of the cleanest energy users on Earth.

Many of our coal fired power stations now use gas turbines, running on clean burning natural gas.

Coal burning is in for a resurgence, with new technologies to improve the burn, capture the carbon etc.

1/3 of Australia's Electricity needs now are provided by Hydro-electric, Wind power, and solar power.

Nearly ever second house in Australia, has solar panels on its roof, providing nearly 100% of the power and feeding back into the grid.

We have had environmental pollution and air pollution laws since the mid 1970s.

There are 20 million people in Australia, same number as Shanghai, in a country almost the size of the USA!!!

We have BILLIONS of trees, shrubs, grasses, providing Oxygen to this Planet, AND we have no active volcanoes (for about 10,000 years).

WE should charge the other country's an Oxygen tax, so you can pay us to save you.

Very well said! Also on the solar panels topic our government also tries to make it as possible as they can for people too afford them with government incentives and rebates, we are actually trying to bring clean energy in as much as we can, and i think more of that would help than carbon tax.

Sounds like the US could learn a thing or two from Australia ....

All of our government officials are bought and paid for by the oil industries
Obama is no different...just another puppet

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Enron's Ken Lay & AlGore came up with this Carbon Tax Scam - the guy is a complete scumbag.
imo

Al Gore’s Inconvenient Enron

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
AlGore & his "chakra release" - hey can i get a chakra release over here?

Total piece of garbage...imo

Two More Massage Therapists Accuse Al Gore of Sexual Assault Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This guy is a complete moron...
imo

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Mr Gore should know that Australia has some of the highest environmental standards for Industry in the world.

That fat moron is just getting desperate.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
The aussies are the dirtiest energy users. Mainly coal. They dont have much clean energy at all compared to other western nations. They have crap loads of coal and are using it.

Yeah, but we have barely 30 million people, and only a TINY amount of power stations compared to most countries.

If you're talking about Australia, you have to put it into perspective when it comes to western countries.

We are nothing like other western countries.

Huge land that we actually take care of. We have national parks in every town, pretty much.

Tiny population.

Australia is heaven on Earth, mate.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I dont think that the axing of the carbon tax will help in lowering mine as well as other Australians cost of living. I am recently unemployed and have a family to support and am unable to receive government assistance. We are living off savings, I do not want to seek food vouchers and the like as we do have enough to survive.

I am curious to know where all the funds have been shuffled to, whose pockets are these tax dollars lining, there was no real clear indication of where the money was being spent. With all the hundreds of millions perhaps billions collected this money could have built solar arrays, who knows what other feasable tech could have been developed.

I do really dislike the greens (only green by name) where they recently they had a rally opposing axing the carbon tax with all their brainwashed inner city followers, mostly from Fitzroy, Collingwood, Brunswick these are the type of supporters who live so close to work that they can cycle or walk, good on em for doing so, but the leader of the greens needs to consider his decisions on everybody, not the high income earners who support his party who can afford these tax increases.

But they do really need to consider people who live 30 kilometres from the city, and public transport is expensive being in zone 2. These green scumbags is part of the cause why people are becoming destitute, losing their homes, as they have lost their job as the employer they worked for has had to close their doors as the boss cannot remain competitive due the these escalating costs and taxes, cost of compliance for the carbon scheme.

We all need to really consider what is good for all mankind, think globally not locally.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

That's pretty much what Australia is doing. They're still are trying to meet lower emission goals. Just leaving out the carbon tax bit.

Most analysis shows that the "direct action" plan pushed by the current government will either be less effective or cost more than the carbon tax (which actually worked for the short time it was implemented, with only small increases in costs to the consumer). A carbon tax or carbon trading scheme is the best way to reduce emissions.

It's frustrating, because this wildly unpopular government who wishes to screw almost everyone over, will be voted out at the next election. And it is highly probable that the next government, or the one after, will be forced to bring a carbon tax back in. Because it is needed. And it works.

Actually the main reason for rising electricity costs in Australia has nothing to do with the carbon tax, it has everything to do with utilities over-investing in transmission and distribution infrastructure, for rising demand that doesn't actually exist. The irony is this makes solar panels significantly more economical. Of course, discussion about that topic is noticeably silent from this website and others.

a reply to: robsmith

On which planet do you live on?

Greens typically support measures which increase social mobility and social welfare. This also includes measures such as an investment in public transport, cheaper public transport fares, and greater welfare to poorer families.

The Liberal party has done the exact opposite. They have made it significantly harder for people to get government assistance, especially young people. They have also decided to invest in roads, without proper business cases for them, rather than public transport. Abbot also flat out lied about many election politics.

If you want to see where money is being spent then read the budget. Also usually analysis shows that a carbon tax reduces emissions more effectively than simply getting the government to do it themselves.

If you are actually poor, why are you against the people who will probably help you the most?

Also from Jan 1st 2015 you will be able to travel in Zones 1 and 2 for the cost of a Zone 1 fare.
edit on 20/7/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

It's frustrating, because this wildly unpopular government who wishes to screw almost everyone over, will be voted out at the next election.

Guessing you're from Australia then, is that correct? If so as I mentioned earlier it's always good to hear from those actually closet to the issue.

I was under the impression that the Carbon Tax was one of the platforms that helped this new government win the last election. Is that not so? Additionally Abbott seems to be trying to do something about the "refugee" problem as well. That seems to be popular from what I've read.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Guessing you're from Australia then, is that correct?

I have never heard of refugees being an issue in the real world. I never also never heard of people losing their jerbs because they have been taken by illegal immigrants. I don't know what the general population thinks, but I can tell you what my circle of friends thinks. The whole issue of asylum seekers is really a non-issue. It has been invented in order to serve a political purpose.

Australia opposes UN resolution to conduct war crimes inquiry in Sri Lanka

53 Australian lawyers condemn return of asylum seekers to Sri Lanka

Australian international law experts have uniformly condemned Australia’s return of asylum seekers to Sri Lanka as a violation of international law that risks sending vulnerable people back to persecution and torture.

Since a large amount of asylum seekers come from Sri Lanka, and the government promised to "stop the boats" they now are against inquiries about war crimes in Sri Lanka, since that might prove that uhm, sending people back is wrong. And now Abbott is criticizing Putin for MH17, as if he had any credibility to do so.

The night before the election Tony Abbott also said this:

He broke everything he said then in the first budget by cuts to everything and has basically managed to screw almost every single group over. This is because of a "debt crisis", which doesn't actually exist (we have less debt than essentially every other developed country on earth). He is Australias version of George W Bush.

Oh, one area he didn't announce cuts to was Defence, we just bought 12.4 billion dollars worth of fighter jets.

In my city (Melbourne) they are also going ahead with the East-West link, a 10 billion dollar road which doesn't actually have a proper business case (even though they criticize their political adversaries from doing the same thing).

I was under the impression that the Carbon Tax was one of the platforms that helped this new government win the last election. Is that not so?

Yes it was. The price increases to electricity were also proclaimed to be from the carbon tax (which was a lie) when in reality it was rising infrastructure costs. So much of the pretext for getting rid of the tax had nothing to do with the actual carbon tax.

Also the previous government had leadership instability, which is why they were voted out.

Other bad things the government has done:
Scrap the Carbon Tax for an inferior solution that won't work.
Scrap the Fibre To The Premises broadband network for a vastly inferior network, having lied about the costs.
Scrap Renewable Energy Target
Moving funding for the education system so it more closely matches the US System (which is a train-wreck)

I could probably go on and on. In any case, here's a list of broken promises.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s popularity plummets to depths that saw Julia Gillard ousted

IN stunningly quick time, Tony Abbott’s popularity has plummeted to the depths that saw Julia Gillard pack up and move out for Kevin Rudd’s return.
There isn’t a Rudd-like contender hunting Mr Abbott’s leadership, but his election triumph nine months ago hasn’t been followed by solid opinion poll rating, with 70 per cent of voters not satisfied with his performance.
He is considered the better option for Prime Minister by just 34 per cent of voters, according to a Newspoll published in The Australian today, with Labor’s Bill Shorten at 44 per cent.

www.news.com.au...

And now we have foreigners encouraging the government for apparently doing the right thing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mukiwa
Al Gore can go fly a kite!

preferably in a thunderstorm with wire as his string

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Fair enough, thanks for the well presented post. God help anyone who gets a George Bush wanna be for a leader.

And now we have foreigners encouraging the government.

That's because a great many of us don't buy into the carbon credit scheme, no matter how loud Al Gore and his enablers push the agenda.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Looks like he's packing on quite a bit of carbon himself.

Maybe his new plan is to EAT it to save us all.

Sure looks like he is taking up a larger carbon footprint with his rich lifestyle.

edit on 20-7-2014 by moobie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Have you looked at Japan lately, perhaps Fukushima!

Now that is clean energy, isn't it?

So clean! But, it does not lead to a clean death!

BTW, a little research would have shown you that many Aussie power stations are already on, or earmarked to, run on Natural Gas from out huge reserves.

What does Fukushima have to do with clean energy? While Nuclear power is considered by some to be clean energy, by most it is not. In the case of Australia, clean energy usually means wind turbines and solar panels. Nuclear has no chance of being implemented in Australia.

So what exactly was the purpose of this post?

BTW, a little research would have shown you that many Aussie power stations are already on, or earmarked to, run on Natural Gas from out huge reserves.

So? The vast majority will still be produced by coal. Natural Gas in Australia also relies on something called "Coal Seam Gas". It is usually collected using something called "Hydraulic Fracturing".

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
The aussies are the dirtiest energy users. Mainly coal. They dont have much clean energy at all compared to other western nations. They have crap loads of coal and are using it.

They do need to do something but I agree, green taxes are a scam. Al Gore is a dick. If people llisten to these people the planet will never get cleaned up. We will be taxed, the planet will still die.

As soon as any Govt starts planting trees, stopping fracking and actively start campaigning to stop deforestation in the amazon....I will not believe a word they tell us about climate change and CO2. People have too much trust in govts. and universities. We know from experience that as far as the climate is concerned...they lie...a lot. Which means the real issues will continue.

These people dont mention the heavy metals pumped into the air every day by mega corporations, oil spils etc. This is what is causing the main pollution....but if they blame CO2, they blame us, not them, which is a hell of a lot more in green taxes for them. And a hell of a lot more pollutants on an industrial scale the world over not getting addressed.

We're not the dirtiest energy users! Look to Asia for that please.

Agree that green taxes are a scam!

Thank goodness the current Australian government has finally dumped the Aussie carbon tax implemented on a lie by previous Fabianist government lead by "there will be no carbon tax" Juliar Gilliard. Hopefully the rest of the world will take note...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join