It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Purge. Why Not

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I try, rather than using the word,"you" to use the word 'one'. I have found that one little word substitution works wonderfully in helping to express UN-agressivly, thoughts which can be taken otherwise all to personally.

As for your hypothetical understanding of the enforcement of the rules and conditions, you will get no argument from me.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: ArtemisE

I try, rather than using the word,"you" to use the word 'one'. I have found that one little word substitution works wonderfully in helping to express UN-agressivly, thoughts which can be taken otherwise all to personally.

As for your hypothetical understanding of the enforcement of the rules and conditions, you will get no argument from me.

I think if the owners were smart they wouldn't allow admins with user names that obviously are politically biased. Even if it is a 100% valid warning or delete, it just looks bad. With an unaffiliated name you might wonder if they were just biased. With a user name that screams partisan people will "know" it's biased. Even if it's not. It's just bad PR/customer service.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

isn't it sad to realize you can be honest only because there's no relationship at stake? cold, cold, cold...

I don't know. I am as honest as I can be with people, and I have great relationships with dogs.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
it's weird...
..but this is one of the most interesting topics i've seen here for a long while?
(i don't know exactly why that is.. it's short, but concise.. easily digestable yet insightful)
a happy union of opposites, i guess?

(some of the comments had me laughing my guts out..)
there's heaps going on here in this topic..
like, uhh, i actually agree with the "should be allowed to swear" part
(even though i cited restraint)
coz, uhh, at least one person has to show some kind of restraint or everything just goes to pot in a hurry
but it's only by being subjected to the supposedly intolerable act in the first place that restraint enters the equation (like being brave first requires you to be afraid)

hmm.. i guess what i'm trying to ramble about here is like this;
something like "the purge" (we know what that means, what it entails, etc, like the OP responded; "I think however, that sometimes, a dam of restraint could use a little spillway in order to relieve the pressures of pent up emotions" ~ ergo "a purge" of sorts)
..ugh, let me try that again
something like "the purge" comes down from a centralized authority...
i think it's better when we just "sort ourselves out" (de-centralization of "power")
(like how we 'sort out' the people who swear at us, you know what i mean?)
uh oh, it looks like there's also an embedded reference to a type of "anarchy" in what i'm saying just here..
maybe i'll just stop rambling for now..

oh.. and i think neitzsche is awesome but it'll mess you one up

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: TzarChasm

isn't it sad to realize you can be honest only because there's no relationship at stake? cold, cold, cold...

I don't know. I am as honest as I can be with people, and I have great relationships with dogs.

i can guess which is the more rewarding relationship

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

something like "the purge" comes down from a centralized authority...
i think it's better when we just "sort ourselves out" (de-centralization of "power")

Yes. Not a top down purge, but rather the creation of a space, and limited time, for this kind of sorting things out ourselves. Kind of like a little battleground for the kiddies to work through our personal aggressions so the restraint does not have to cover up ill feelings so much. And of course, I really have no idea as I am not a clinical psychologist or anything like that whether or not this could work at all.

But, definatly not the top down kind as set up in the move, because the premise behind the concept of the purge there was not the release of tension, which was used as a false face, but rather the population control that the purge would bring about.)

What I do know though is that as I mentioned in the OP, there are a number of practiced and skilled insulters on these boards that skirt their way around, barely, direct and outright name calling. Sometimes I just want to reply with as much inuendo as they do but just do not have the skillful wordsmiting to do it. When I get emotional about some of these topics where the quiet insults are flying I just want to shout out, or back at some, Shut the blankity blank up you blank blank know it all.

And I am feeling now, that for me at least, just expressing this in this little corner of the site is relaxing. I wonder about those who spew insults so expertly and freely through inuendo, if maybe it is relaxing for them too.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The purge, what a stupid idea.
Considering some are exempt from the actions and some would just simply fly out of the country.
Once again, the only folks who would get hurt are the truly innocent...
Hmmm, maybe this will happen then.
Truly tragic.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Yep, the only reason the concept worked in the movie was because it was instituted after a devastating war (I think) the constitution was even re-written... It never made sense to me why no one seeme somewhat prepared for it though since this had been going on for a number of years - no one knew how to fight, use a gun, etc. Everyone just playe the "it won't happen to me" game. My favorite of course: leadership/govt was exempt. Same song, second verse...

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
(still laughing at tzarchasm's comment)

yeah i follow, like some kinda online battle arena?
i think there was a star trek episode featuring this innovation..
(..it didn't end well)

extrapolating the problem out to logical analysis fails, like borrowing money to pay off a debt.
the "problem" has to be dealt with here & now (ergo "life" on planet earth, imho)

there's a saying i like, "all communication either comes down to building a bridge or destroying it" (keep that in mind the next time someone tries to get your shubshub)
i once heard another saying, "he who knew not what to say ..he swore" (ditto)
(well you can probably see where i'm going with all that..)

the last paragraph back there..

And I am feeling now, that for me at least, just expressing this in this little corner of the site is relaxing. I wonder about those who spew insults so expertly and freely through inuendo, if maybe it is relaxing for them too.

when you describe all that as "relaxing" ..to me, it's like saying "i enjoy watching my flower grow" or "i see the benefit of watering my flower"

what i'm mentioning here with the flowers is a metaphor.. if i called it a "radar dish" or solar panel it would've lost its magic (but they're both operating off the same principal, doing the same thing)

the ones who seem like cunning linguists.. for the most part- they just don't know how to "grow flowers" (or source energy) ..moreover, they like to step on 'em
and just to top this off.. psychopaths hate beauty because it reminds them of what they used to be
if you're ever serious about "getting through" to those folks, show them love
(they need it)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I think however, that sometimes, a dam of restraint could use a little spillway in order to relieve the pressures of pent up emotions.

I never viewed ATS Members as "pent up". If we all had to meet face-to-face to have these debates and discussions and researches THEN maybe I could see the pot boiling over, but we have the convenience of turning off the computer.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Same problem as the movie. Can't just limit it to one day (or one forum). The ramifications from actions on Purge night (or Purge forum) would spill over to all the others.

Think about it. Someone kills your kid on Purge night. Are you just going to forget about it when the night is over? No, you're going to hunt the sucker down. Same with a forum.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join