It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Outbreak Too Big For the WHO to Handle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

The prevailing wisdom on Ebola says it kills too efficiently to become a 'real' problem - but this new strain has a 60% fatality rate compared to 90% - symptoms might not appear for up to 3 weeks after exposure - and the virus stays active in survivors' semen (at least) for over 2 months after symptoms appear.

May seem like a 'strange' and weird question...... However does contaminated semen pose a risk in vaginal & anal sex or does it include oral sex too....?

Genuine question as there are implications in this if the gestation period is upto 2 months.....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Likely oral too.

Ebola main route is ingestion via bodly fluids. IE Fecal matter,urine,blood or vomit on hand.

So infected semen will likley cause problem in any orafice.

Stay away from sex in africa lol

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Its only speculation not solid enough proof but worth the watch.., if it were to spread itd have to start from a flight to hospital to population

Text URGENT! Ebola crossing into USA!? It's In Atlanta…: youtu.be...

Also i would expect the fact that the cdc headquarters is in dekalb atlanta!!!
edit on 19-7-2014 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: soficrow

The same source as yours. We have the same figure.

No. You're saying the US figures are the worldwide ones. As well, my other source clarified that "A disproportionate number of deaths occurred in Southeast Asia and Africa, where access to prevention and treatment resources are more likely to be limited." ...Agreed, the 2009 pandemic was not as horrific as others, but H1N1 was circulating in domestic US hogs since the 1918 pandemic - so many of us already had some immunity.

From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

No. You're saying the US figures are the worldwide ones.

Incorrect. You assumed so.

As well, my other source clarified that "A disproportionate number of deaths occurred in Southeast Asia and Africa, where access to prevention and treatment resouhies are more likely to be limited." ...Agreed, the 2009 pandemic was not as horrific as others, but H1N1 was circulating in domestic US hogs since the 1918 pandemic - so many of us already had some immunity.

I'm not sure how that's relevant to anything I said. Maybe you replied to the wrong person?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

The prevailing wisdom on Ebola says it kills too efficiently to become a 'real' problem - but this new strain has a 60% fatality rate compared to 90% - symptoms might not appear for up to 3 weeks after exposure - and the virus stays active in survivors' semen (at least) for over 2 months after symptoms appear.

May seem like a 'strange' and weird question...... However does contaminated semen pose a risk in vaginal & anal sex or does it include oral sex too....?

Genuine question as there are implications in this if the gestation period is upto 2 months.....

I don't have any referenced info - but - if transmission occurs just with skin contact when the infection is active, I'd imagine any route would do for the little buggers.

....Good luck.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

No. You're saying the US figures are the worldwide ones.

Incorrect. You assumed so.

Of course I assumed you were talking about the world - pandemic means worldwide. Unless, of course, one is a self-absorbed narcissistic boneheaded Yank, in which case "world" means "US."

a reply to: ATF1886

There is tens of millions who gained immunity to the "swine flu" over a ten month period, and only 12 thousand who perished.

RE: As well, my other source clarified that "A disproportionate number of deaths occurred in Southeast Asia and Africa, where access to prevention and treatment resouhies are more likely to be limited." ...Agreed, the 2009 pandemic was not as horrific as others, but H1N1 was circulating in domestic US hogs since the 1918 pandemic - so many of us already had some immunity.

I'm not sure how that's relevant to anything I said.

See above. There's so much more to the world than is dreamt of in your dogma, Horatio.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Take a chill pill, get off your high horse.

I never said, "world" I quoted figures which clearly matched the CDC figures for the United States.

If you can't fit the figures in the correct context, that's not my issue.

I was giving an easy off the top of my head reference for how the swine flu was VERY WEAK, and HIGHLY OVERBLOWN.

Now, your figure claimed about a 20% infection rate in the US. Let's apply that worldwide and see how that half a million figure looks.

It looks, again, in the proper context, VERY WEAK.

half a million out of maybe 1.4 billion infected. Oh, the suffering!!

100k lost each day, but half a million, oh my!!
edit on 20-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ignoring the fact that West African Ebola is a new strain…. here's a bit of damage control on the corporate conspiracy theory.

Ebola May Have Been Smoldering for Years, Study Says

….A new study of blood samples from people being treated for a serious, viral-like illness in years past in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia suggests some of them could have been infected with Ebola. Now researchers are digging deeper to see if the virus has always been lurking there, just undetected.

…..it would be unlikely for a virus such as Ebola to appear completely out of the blue in a region.

……..Schoepp’s team looked at blood samples taken from 253 people cleared of both Lassa and malaria between 2006 and 2008. …..Nearly 9 percent of the samples that were clear of everything else tested positive for antibodies to Ebola [16] and nearly 4 percent to Marburg [7]. ….[….we could only attribute a possible cause to 28 percent of these samples...]

…..There’s no specific treatment for Ebola, and it’s important to isolate patients and take strict precautions, including the use of gloves and masks, when treating them. [NOTE: Ebola killed 25 out of 28 nurses in a single hospital in Sierra Leone. But none of the 16 cases just identified affected staff?]

…Ebola had only been seen in central Africa and parts of eastern and southern Africa before. ….This (outbreak) is different because it’s crossed borders and it affecting both urban and rural areas.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

I don't have any referenced info - but - if transmission occurs just with skin contact when the infection is active, I'd imagine any route would do for the little buggers.

....Good luck.

Just to clear the air and set the record straight……….

My question was asked from a clarification standpoint and not because of any personal or travel plans i have….

I don't need 'good luck' UNLESS this illness becomes an airborne, bird or insect transmitted problem….then we ALL need good luck..
regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

...I don't need 'good luck' UNLESS this illness becomes an airborne, bird or insect transmitted problem….then we ALL need good luck..

Sorry about the (mis)assumption. But fyi - it seems likely Ebola is present in soil (and water?), much like Mad Cow/Chronic Wasting Disease is in North America - and also, like other prion diseases, that it hitchhikes on insects. ...We have a lot to learn about how our biosphere works and how everything is shared up, down, around, across and through it. imho - instead of seeing "wild" nature as dangerous and trying to build fortresses against intrusions, we ought to rethink our assumptions and create a new paradigm.

edit on 21/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
New cases in Sierra Leone and Liberia pushed the epidemic's total to 1,048 cases, with 632 deaths. The FAO is working with the WHO to demonize "wild" nature and the dangers lurking therein. Time for a new paradigm methinks.

West Africa Ebola outbreak total tops 1,000

As 67 new Ebola virus disease (EVD) illnesses in Sierra Leone and Liberia pushed the outbreak total to 1,048 cases, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) warned about the risk of virus transmission from wildlife, especially fruit bats.

Along with new infections, 19 more deaths were reported in Sierra Leone and Liberia, raising the fatality count to 632….

….The agency said the communities risk future spillover from species that carry the virus, including fruit bats, some primates, and duikers—small antelopes native to sub-Saharan Africa.

…."… communities need clear advice on the need not to touch dead animals or to sell or eat the meat of any animal that they find already dead."

He added that people in rural communities should also avoid hunting animals that are sick or behaving strangely.

……Another step will be to assess the role of hunting, with an eye toward identifying healthier, more sustainable livestock production options that can provide more protein and income sources, the FAO said.

Million-Dollar Fruit Bat Trade Could Be Spreading Ebola, UN Warns

…Though its hard to know the size of the bushmeat economy, since most consumption and trade is done in the home or outside ordinary markets, researchers estimate it to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

…“Livelihood and consumer preferences are the main drivers of bushmeat consumption,” wrote researchers at the African Center for Economic Transformation in a recent newsletter, adding that it’s also served as a delicacy in upscale areas, and can be even more expensive than domesticated meat.

….The term “bushmeat” applies to any non-domesticated animal killed in the wild sand sold as food. This can include gorillas, chimpanzee, rats and even fruit bats -- which are especially popular and especially worrisome for health workers.

Since bats can carry the virus without showing signs of the disease, the FAO advised that they should be avoided altogether.

Another Perspective on the Dangers of "Cultural Practices"

Human rights abuses in treating Ebola virus patients.

….there are reports of malnutrition and discrimination in treating the patients, not giving them the medical care they should be receiving.

A member of Liberia's Human Rights Protection Forum said there are not enough human rights protections for Ebola patients, "Do you expect a suspected Ebola patient, said to be passing wastes, to live without food, medicine, and even company that could give that person hope and a sense of belonging?"

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Even with this strand being a mutation of Zaire (i believe that is correct), but having a mortality rate more similar to Sudan, it still burns itself out very quickly. I mean it's been spreading for months and despite having spread to a far greater extent than any previous outbreak and the likelihood that there are many more cases existing than are recorded, it's still rather low.

1,000 confirmed cases and over 600 deaths, but if this were a flu like illness, it would have been on other continents and had infected millions.

I agree it's a scary disease and i've studied it and read about it a bit, but it doesn't have the great pandemic potential in any of it's natural forms.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

March, MSF insisted the epidemic was out of control and they couldn't handle the situation. After which the WHO started helping out - but by that time, it was too late. Now, West Africa's Ebola epidemic is the biggest on record with almost 1000 cases and 613 deaths in 3 countries

From March to August; ~5 months and 1000cases/613 deaths...

I don't want to sound uninformed, nor am I trying to downplay the 613 deaths, but don't you think you're exaggerating the significance of this 'pandemic'?

In spite of AIDS, tribal conflicts, civil war, dysentery, malaria, oodles of different worms and even just the heat of the noon sun I've seen several threads predicting global doom from Africa's current Ebola debacle.

What I don't really understand is what makes this particular strain/current infection that is going around any more deadly, or of global significance than what was killing africans in the 1970's, the 1980's, the 1990's and the 2000's. From what I've seen this disease crops up every decade or so, slightly different from previous strains, makes people bleed from their eyes, kills them, spreads to family members and kills them, then disappears.

Ebola Airborne? IMO this mutation will be what makes Ebola truly dangerous. As it currently stands the strains out there have a keratin coating that prevents them from quickly drying out, allowing the virus to survive in bodily fluids (sneezes, coughs, blood, saliva, ect.) for a short period of time. From what I've read this current strain isn't any more dangerous than what has come and gone.

If anything medical advances since the last major outbreak should serve to make the current outbreak less threatening to the global population...unless it is sponsored by the NWO to depopulate the globe, then we're all screwed.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Ebola Reston showed us that Ebola is airborne in tight spaces. A very long flight in a plane could cause a problem with a highly infected person on board. However there was a case where a man who was highly infected actually crashed and bled out on a plane and I don't think anyone caught it (or maybe one person that attended to him - i don't recall), but he was in tight quarters for a good while.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: Lipton

I'm not aware that anyone is calling this a pandemic - damage control shills say it's an "outbreak," others call it an "epidemic." Either way, the World Health Organization (WHO) is obviously not equipped (read funded) well enough to handle the outbreak-epidemic.

...Happens researchers just discovered that MERS particles are airborne - Ebola might be too. And virus particles often have the ability to reassemble, even in the absence of a host.

Point being - we've changed our world and now the bits and parts of our world are changing too - adapting, evolving, surviving. None of us are ready for what's coming, not just the WHO.

edit on 23/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Even so, authorities still insist Ebola is unlikely to spread out of Africa.

So much for the authorities then.

Have they not considered air, sea, road and rail travel?

Do they not consider how easy it would be to have this strain tearing through any city in any country on Earth in as little as 24 hours? Infection may not present symptoms for up to 3 weeks following initial infection...I've travelled the world in as short a time...literally right around the planet.

And if i can do that with a backpack, this virus or any virus for that matter, can also do the same thing inside various unaware infected hosts.

There is absolutely no way this virus can be contained within Africa, while people are using rapid means of travel. If an infected person travelled to the US, India, China or any other populated country, chances are, this virus would be spreading there rapidly.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

True. And there's now a suspected case in Lagos, Nigeria. The edge of the wedge?

Lagos is a megacity of 21 million people in Africa's most populated nation of 170 million people - and has a suspected case of Ebola. All the coverage pushes home the point that the patient is Liberian, not Nigerian. This after the doctor leading Ebola treatment in Sierra Leone became infected himself (lack of proper protectice hygiene? or is it airborne now?).

Liberian man in Nigeria's Lagos being tested for Ebola

A Liberian man in his 40s is being tested for the deadly Ebola virus in Nigeria's commercial capital of Lagos, a megacity of 21 million people, the Lagos State Health Ministry said on Thursday.

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February, straining a string of weak health systems despite international help.

This would be the first recorded case of one of the world's deadliest diseases in Nigeria, Africa's biggest economy and most populous nation with 170 million people.

Liberian man in Nigeria's Lagos being tested for Ebola

LAGOS (Reuters) - A Liberian man in his 40s is being tested for the deadly Ebola virus in Nigeria's commercial capital of Lagos, a megacity of 21 million people, the Lagos State Health Ministry said on Thursday.

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February, straining a string of weak health systems despite international help.

This would be the first recorded case of one of the world's deadliest diseases in Nigeria, Africa's biggest economy and most populous nation, with 170 million people and some of Africa's least adequate health infrastructure.

Doctor leading Ebola treatment in Sierra Leone comes down with deadly disease

edit on 24/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Patrick Sawyer, the man suspected of carrying Ebola to Nigeria, has died. He was attending a conference in Nigeria before his quarantine. He was exposed to Ebola when caring for his sister (who died) - his rapid death strongly suggests he was positive for the virus.

ALSO NOTE: Sawyer's sister was hospitalized in Monrovia - suggesting that nation also is likely at risk for Ebola.

Patrick Sawyer, Lagos' First Suspected Ebola Victim, is Dead

FrontPageAfrica has been informed that Mr. Patrick Sawyer, a WASH consultant at the Ministry of Finance, who had been quarantined since falling ill after arriving in the Nigerian state of Lagos for a conference last Sunday, has died.

A consultant at the Ministry of Finance has become the first suspected case of Ebola reported in the Nigerian state of Lagos since the outbreak surfaced in Liberia this year. The Liberian was a member of a Liberian delegation attending a conference in Lagos when he reportedly began exhibiting symptoms of the deadly virus.

The man suspected of the deadly virus reportedly came in contact with the disease when caring for his sister who died as a result of the deadly virus at the St. Joseph Catholic Hospital in Monrovia about three weeks ago. He is said to have also gone after his dead sister's husband who is said to have run away after the woman's death.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
UPDATE

The search is on for the passengers and crew who may have been on the same flights as Patrick Sawyer, a man who died in Nigeria after contracting the deadly Ebola virus.

….there is now grave concern that Sawyer may have exposed multiple sets of plane passengers and crew to the disease (Ebola), who then flew on to other places.

Ebola: Why The World Should Fear Its Spread To Lagos

Before, Ebola was limited to the rural western African countries Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. What makes Sawyer's case scary is that he entered Lagos, one of the most densely populated cities in the world, with a confirmed Ebola infection.

Even scarier is the fact that Lagos is a major portal for international travel. Thus, if the virus is not immediately contained, it could spread globally.

As of now, Nigeria's efforts to contain the Ebola virus seem futile.
….

Ebola outbreak: More than doctors needed to contain West Africa's unprecedented crisis

Quebec doctor Marc Forget, who has been on the front lines of the epidemic in Guinea for seven weeks, told CBC News that past Ebola outbreaks were contained quite quickly with the intervention of international groups such as Doctors Without Borders working in conjunction with a country's ministry of health.

This time, he says, "the magnitude of the disease is unprecedented," and a stronger response is required, both in resources and personnel — including water, sanitation and logistics specialists, as well as medical staff.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join