It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dryden - The Small Town that Changed the Fracking Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
First a very short video about fracking...

Now on with the story...

Source

As fracking bears down on 31 states across the country, this story offers hope and important lessons for communities trying to protect themselves.

Youtube

Watch the true story of a town who discovered strength in unity and turned the tables on the powerful oil & gas industry. Help us share this inspiring video with everyone you know! Visit earthjustice.org... to learn more.

When the case was again heard in appeals court the people and the city of Dryden won !!!

NY Communities Triumph Over Fracking Industry in Precedent-Setting Case

June 30, 2014
Albany, NY — Local communities have triumphed over the fracking industry in precedent-setting case decided today by the New York Court of Appeals, the state’s highest court.
In a test case pitting community rights against the oil and gas industry, the Court ruled that the towns of Dryden and Middlefield can use local zoning laws to ban heavy industry, including oil and gas operations, within municipal borders.

"Today the Court stood with the people of Dryden and the people of New York to protect their right to self determination. It is clear that people, not corporations, have the right to decide how their community develops," said Dryden Deputy Supervisor Jason Leifer.

I got to give props to the people of Dryden. For taking a stand and fighting the good fight against these big oil and gas companies who are endangering the health and lively hood of millions of citizens all across the USA.

People really can make a difference if we band together and stay united towards a common goal. Way to go Dryden !!!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

I wonder if we can adopt that in the UK now that the laws are being passed to allow queenie to get her paws on the profits of oil on the land people have legitimately paid for and should have the rights over, but not of course with cousin cam in the prime seat of parliament. He had a reshuffle but forgot to reshuffle his seat but, thank heavens the general elections are only a year or so away, cos I expect its time for queenie's darling to be replaced, but by who? and certainly not from the clunky elite that rule our parliament.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

Industry doesn't lie, do they?

The potential to poison the air and ground water is great, but really fracturing the Earths crust seems like a new level of insanity, really what could go wrong?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It may stop them from drilling vertically, but they have the technology to drill horizontally for miles through rock layers that have hills and valleys.

My fear is that when there is another earthquake, these fractured layers wil act as a fluid or a mechanical spring and actually amplify the earthquake. Then all those chemicals that were pumped underwater will be forced into aquifers or up onto the surface.
edit on 19-7-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

a reply to: LDragonFire
The potential to poison the air and ground water is great, but really fracturing the Earths crust seems like a new level of insanity, really what could go wrong?

a reply to: stormcell
My fear is that when there is another earthquake, these fractured layers wil act as a fluid or a mechanical spring and actually amplify the earthquake. Then all those chemicals that were pumped underwater will be forced into aquifers or up onto the surface.

It's not just the fracking chemicals and earthquakes we have to worry about anymore. Now these oil and gas companies are starting to use old wells to store CO2 in carbon capture / sequestration schemes.

So when that big earthquake hits we could possibly see a big release of stored CO2.

Fracking could be combined with carbon capture plans

Talk about a win-win situation. Compressed carbon dioxide may be more suitable than water for fracturing methane-rich rock – a finding that could help the growing hydraulic fracturing industry extract more natural gas from spent fields. And because the carbon dioxide is then trapped below ground, the discovery could also spur the development of large-scale carbon sequestration.

edit on 19-7-2014 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I wonder if we can adopt that in the UK

I hope so.

The people united, shall never be defeated.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
How disappointing.

No wonder these big oil companies have such an easy time forcing their agendas on people.

So few actually pay attention and care enough to speak out.

If the lack of responses in this thread is any indication of overall public awareness.

We're sooo screwed.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Bravo to these people and the lawyers who helped them against what seemed like impossible odds to stop fracking in their communities! If there was ever a lesson to be learned about how important local and state laws and politics can be, this is it ! I was really impressed on how the former corporate lawyers used their knowledge of how laws can be used to screw the people, could be used just as effectively to screw the corporations right back, Brilliant!!!

Now if we could just get these corporations to invest in clean energy instead of fracking !!!

Great OP and I hope this thread gets the attention it deserves, this story is POWERFUL !!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Thank you for your input.

I totally agree.

top topics

join