It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California couple faces fine for brown lawn after complying with water-saving rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

LOS ANGELES – Laura Whitney and her husband, Michael Korte, don't know whether they're being good citizens during a drought or scofflaws.

On the same day the state approved mandatory outdoor watering restrictions with the threat of $500 fines, the Southern California couple received a letter from their city threatening a $500 penalty for not watering their brown lawn.

It's brown because of their conservation, which, besides a twice-a-week lawn watering regimen, includes shorter showers and larger loads of laundry.

They're encouraged by the state's new drought-busting, public service slogan: Brown is the new green.

Source

However, the city of Glendora sees it differently

"Despite the water conservation efforts, we wish to remind you that limited watering is still required to keep landscaping looking healthy and green," says the letter, which gives Korte and Whitney 60 days to restore their lawn."

Talk about being in a hard place

If they don't comply with conserving water, they get fined
Yet if they let their lawn turn brown due to conserving the water and not being able to water it, they get fined
And it's getting to be more and more people affected by it

Local officials say conserving water and maintaining healthy landscaping are not mutually exclusive goals. They caution that even in times of water shortages, residents shouldn't have free rein to drive down property values, and they can use drought-resistant landscaping or turf removal programs to meet local standards.

Nothing like having to answer to 2 different agencies with 2 different responses
Neither wanting to give an inch

Democratic Assemblywoman Cheryl Brown introduced a bill that would have prohibited local governments from imposing fines, but she dropped AB1636 after cities in her district promised not to penalize homeowners for brown lawns during a drought emergency

But now that she sees what they are doing regardless of what they told her, she's going to see about passing that bill next year

As she stated, ""It seems to me those cities aren't using common sense," Brown said. "It's too bad you need a law."

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

wow talk about damned if you do and damned if you dont......so what are they supposed to do go down to the local store buy bottled water and water their lawn with it.......walks away and shakes head

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I suppose there will be:

1. GREATER-DEMAND for ... "Recycled Sewer Water" ???

AND

2. MORE ... Turning In Their Neighbors ???

-
OBSERVATION: Isn't the California-Governor ... "Brown" ???

( and this is a perfect-example of ... Serious "Circle-Jerk'n" )

edit on 19-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: Good Grief !!!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
California has so many laws or rules that you can't obey one without disobeying another? Talk about a liberal fail. This is to be expected.

And a fine for not keeping your lawn up? That's ridiculous anyway. California is not in America. They are on Mars.
edit on 19-7-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

wow talk about damned if you do and damned if you dont......so what are they supposed to do go down to the local store buy bottled water and water their lawn with it.......walks away and shakes head

That was my sentiment exactly

Dem.Brown should have never took the word of the city officials and gone a head and passed that bill to protect the people

Someone is just being a horses azz IMO
It's not like they intentionally let their lawn get brown out of neglect....only complying to the water conservation rules

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Why in the hell do these people keep buying homes in places that have HOA's?? I mean c'mon... They have to have seen all of the horror stories that we see here at one point or another.

It seems that almost everyone is happy with their HOA until the fine lands on their doorstep. The woman down the street gets one every other week and the other folks on the street cheer it on or at the very least stand by and witness silently while she gets ridiculous fines for ridiculous reasons. I wonder how many times others in the same HOA stood up for their neighbors when the fine/rule was just as stupid? Again... Probably not many if any at all.

I absolutely think HOA's are ludicrous. Reason #8,621 why I did not purchase or shop for homes that had an HOA.

These guys are stuck between a rock and a hard place. In reality, they might as well pick who they want to get the proceeds from their fine/donation because they will be paying someone in the end. It sucks. It's ridiculous. But here we are. I don't think we are going to have to worry about a common sense solution since that seems to be a rarity these days.
edit on 7/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
"You should have got some o' that fancy artesian water to feed your lawn!"

ETA: damn someone already said my first line. Damned if I do.
edit on 19-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I suggest they Pee and Poo only on their lawn. Saves water from not flushing for one! Plus if anyone has a problem with it, just say they are "Watering and Fertalizing" the lawn the old fashion way. Win Win!!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Is this some snobby neighbourhood or something?

Perhaps they opted for a dry lawn in exchange for bathing?
Maybe they don't have time to stand there with a hose , since you can't use a sprinkler?
Or they were thirsty and heaven forbid they drank it?
It's none of their business how they choose to use the all looted amount if water

Lack of rain caused it to go brown, along with it being SUMMER

Anyways I don't get why they are so against browning in that state. It's the brawniest place I've ever been. Those nice lush green palm trees on tv must be doctored because in real life, they are yellow and brown. We drove through Beverly Hills movie stars homes to take a look and all the lawns were brown. unkept ugly front yards. I expected it to put British properties in west Vancouver to shame, but it was the reverse.

This is truly getting out of hand. Now you get told what to do with your water use?
What's next, you get told you didn't put Xmas lights on your house, like the others on your street did? Done during power conservation of course.

A real disgrace to be encouraging waste on yards. I thought I read their new laws and it said don't waste on yards, hosing driveways, washing cars. Vegetables are ok.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It was probably a snobby neighbour that ratted on them

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I could never live where there are HOA's.
I moved out of my parents home at 18 because I got sick of being bossed around.
Wanted my own place with my own rules.

I think the whole state of Cali is one big HOA. Too many rules.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I don't get why they can even do this.
Do they have to have a green lawn? and why?.
Isn't it their own property?.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I don't get why they can even do this.
Do they have to have a green lawn? and why?.
Isn't it their own property?.

It is their property but they signed away the right to do with it what they please.

People join HOA's here in the states in an effort to keep trash out of the neighborhood. Trash refers to people and actual... Well.. Trash. When you buy a home in these neighborhoods you sign a contract agreeing to their terms on what your yard and house will look like, what plants, trees, and grass you can plant and maintain, agree to decorate tastefully for holidays or not at all, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on and could even dictate what your welcome mat looks like on your front porch.

People sign these contracts thinking that these rules and regulations will keep their property values as high as possible. They are generally happy with this idea (no clue as to why) until it hits home for them.

You can be fined for your grass, weeds, garden gnomes, incorrect flower pots, blinds, etc. it's ridiculous to give away all that freedom without really thinking about it and once it hits home, they really have no choice but to obey or pay. If you have fines... No matter how little, and you refuse to pay??? They can foreclose on your property and push you out. So you can lose your home for not paying a $100 fine for having your Christmas lights up one day too long.

I can have sympathy for a lot of folks in a lot of situations, but I have a hard time in these cases because the people agreed to the terms before buying the house. They are ok with the Gestapo rules until there is a rule they can't or won't follow, then they aren't so happy anymore.

That's about the best I can explain it. Someone else may be able to clarify better than I.

Think Stepford Wives only with whole neighborhoods...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
According to the article, a Jerry Brown executive order makes it illegal for any HOA to punish a resident for 'cutting back on landscaping' due to state drought rules.
But apparently the city of Glendora can fine them for having a brown lawn. I would paint it green.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I qualify as redneck.
My Christmas lights are still up. THey stay up all year long.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I qualify as redneck.

I might have you beat... I have shotgun shell Christmas lights still strung across the top of my entertainment center from 3 years ago. lol

For the record... I absolutely qualify for that title as well. It's not so bad as long as nobody asks me what the tornado sounded like coming through my neighborhood.

Most rednecks I know are good folks. Some meet the stereotype, but a lot do not and find humor in it at any rate.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Those poor bastards.

This is completely idiotic, its almost as stupid as that saggy pants law in florida.

Sure everyone wants a nice green lawn and likes to see one, but i think keeping clean and hydrating properly is a higher priority than that.

Why not just replace all lawns with AstroTurf? Id be tempted in that situation.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I qualify as redneck.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I lived in a small mountain town for a while. No store, no gas station, nothing but three hole in the wall bars and two churches for at least 30 miles. Population of about 300 or so. You might call them Rednecks, but I liked Hillbillies personally. But I'll tell you what. I learned some damn cool things from those hillbilly boys n girls!!! Even became a bit of a hillbilly myself for a few years and loved every minute of it. After the first couple years, I practically refused to come down the hill unless I absolutely had too.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Cement it and paint it green.
That aught to really tick off the neighbor that called the authorities on them to begin with.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hmm, brown lawn & fine, or fined for using water in a non-essential capacity during a severe drought. Now there's an ethical conundrum /sarcasm
I'd put forth a certain finger and continue to not water while contacting everyone who would listen in the state government & media. I bet the city's not going to be too fond of a backlash for being crowned the city that encourages water waste in very hardcore drought times.

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

I qualify as redneck.

I might have you beat... I have shotgun shell Christmas lights still strung across the top of my entertainment center from 3 years ago. lol

It might not be redneck, but I got you both beat in terms of laziness. I have all the Christmas Santas, nutcrackers, winter house nicknacks & lights still up on top of our drop cupboards in the kitchen. I originally put them up over 6 years ago. It's just easier to leave them there than to balance on the counter putting them all up & taking them all down every year.
edit on 7/19/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join