It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Get First Look Inside Mysterious Siberian Crater

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Shoggoth's waking up signaling the end...(just finished The Mountains of Madness..)

Beats me but it is a cool thing, cant wait to hear what they see when they actually enter it versus dropping a camera on a rope.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's anomalies like this that will inevitably disappear into the ethers, never to be properly investigated. How many different kinds of incidents with no prosaic explanation happen on a yearly basis. If you add them all up it turns into earth being a pretty mysterious place. We'll see what happens, I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yes none of the others that were odd in their smoothness has the debris around the edges. It is very impact like.

The one under the woman's bed is totally weird too though as the tiles look cut.
www.myfoxphoenix.com...

Thanks for those. That interior house one is very strange. I did wonder if these holes were formed by rainwater. Maybe the lady cleaned the tiles using buckets of water?

The top picture was caused by an underground floodwater water system leaking.

I'm wonder whether these holes were formed from some kind of suction effect (the Bernoulli principle) where moving water underground created a vacuum and this violently sucked the ground down.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: robbystarbuck

Somehow . . . I'm reminded of the "beam weapon"

that Linda Mounton Howe has reported on . . . purportedly able to strike something THROUGH the earth to the other side.

Strange, to me, too.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

SnF thanks for more imagery of the? Makes 1 think what sits deep in the nearby water holes... If there was something of interest there its archived by now. Hopefully some data can be recovered sharable with the general populace of what exactly caused this. Methane explosion sounds plausible but there should still be a massive amount of it frozen near. The peninsula location adds to the mystery of below it. It will be interesting to find out what science shares of its cause.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The thing that my mind keeps sticking on is the presence of the vaguely-uniform vertical scrapes continuing and following the contour of the exit. Wouldn't this mean that, whatever was pushed out, expanded after it reached the surface?

If so, where is it? If it was just pressure punching the hole, where is the debris? Is there any reason why the scientists are ruling out an actual object being ejected and then removed, like something extracted?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I wonder if the water tastes good?

Why is it that you read my mind three hours before
I thought it? Answer: I'm really slow, and today is no
exception to that rule.
But I'm willing to bet it's saltier than what would start
rusting Megatron's tubing for a chaser to those water-
melons he's tossing back getting ready to do us.
Sorry, Jhn... I have no idea what Megatron would do
in William Muny's place. But I damn sure wanna be in a
different county when he finally loses it.
Strictly to the thread: this doesn't appear like a sinkhole,
because of the threshold as others have pointed out.
But if this pool is under the permafrost line something
underneath has to be doing the lion's share of melt cycle...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcouncil=wisdom
Looks like Revelation 20 is happeing Satan and his Minions are being released from the Abyss

Duhhhh

Or really big symmetrical crazy sinkholes
maybe

Naww, they got out ages ago, just look at any government in the world or the banking cartel or multinational corporation.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yes none of the others that were odd in their smoothness has the debris around the edges. It is very impact like.

The one under the woman's bed is totally weird too though as the tiles look cut.
www.myfoxphoenix.com...

Thanks for those. That interior house one is very strange. I did wonder if these holes were formed by rainwater. Maybe the lady cleaned the tiles using buckets of water?

The top picture was caused by an underground floodwater water system leaking.

I'm wonder whether these holes were formed from some kind of suction effect (the Bernoulli principle) where moving water underground created a vacuum and this violently sucked the ground down.

In the event of a Bernoulli type action, mechanics are still in play in soft solids, there will still be a mechanical triangulation of force effect, whereby the action of the Bernoulli effect is diminished because of the increase in the opening of the cavity as the walls erode (diameter of the pitot tube-hole and it's shape). Otherwise in the upper picture, we would have to assume that the column walls are very hard and there was a perfect column of soft dirt/sand that got sucked down. In which case it begs the question, how did a column of soft dirt/sand form like that? Another issue would be that at least from time to time, the suction in the column should increase and be capable of sucking in parts of the surrounding houses and people simply based on wind velocity. This effect does not seem present.

Also in the upper picture, "caused by an underground floodwater system" um ok. I didn't know they put those 300 to 500 feet underground. Look at the depth of that hole and the size of the cavern underneath, which (the cavern) looks totally natural. Now assuming that hole is about 80 feet in diameter and we'll use the low end height of 300 feet and an average weight of 60 lbs per cubic foot, that's roughly 1,507,963.2 cubic feet of material at roughly 90,477,792 pounds. Where did it go? Maybe it was swept out with the water, but that's a lot of material and the water would have to have high velocity. Looks pretty quiet down there to me. Did anyone go down and take a look I wonder?

Soon we will have to name Earth, Arakis or Dune and find the little makers that are making these bigass sandworms LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

I wonder if it was an ancient well? It would be interesting to find out if it is lined with rocks. If it is, it would be from a culture from before the ice age.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
More pictures and video can be found here:

climatestate.com...

From the above

According to Anna Kurchatova, with the Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre, the hole could have to do with the thawing of Siberia’s permafrost, a consequence of global warming. The rapid release of gas previously trapped in the ice, she said, could have combined with sand beneath the surface to form an underground explosion.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
Polished sides? The hole is almost as deep as it is wide. Certainly odd. Hope we get to see pics from inside. I'd like to know where the off-shoot tunnels go. That body of water seen from the air is pretty close, yet it hasn't drained into the new hole. Also, the ejecta doesn't look like enough material to fill the hole, so there was either a void or something buried there

I am glad someone else noted the potentially missing ejecta. It seems that between 15% and 30% of the ejecta is actually missing. Taking a look at what is there and considering it would be compressed when in the ground, at least under some pressure, you can sort of get an approximate idea of what isn't there that should be. Considering the size of the hole and the 1:5 to 1:10 (1 foot height for 5 to 10 feet in diameter) height of a possible mechanical object, which would have about a 15% to 25% overall volume compared the hole, there really does seem to be some "junk" missing.

All I know is that if there was a mechanical object in that hole, it wasn't from earth. We have nothing that could move that much material in a very short period of time or lift that amount of material.

They should take all that material, put it back in the hole, compact it and determine the missing volume. It would be a good make-work project, maybe Obama or Harper could pay for it because they both have a history of pissing away taxpayer dollars, or maybe they could borrow it on everyone's futures, they seem good at that too.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It sure looks like something bored out of there to me. I don't know what, but I don't think I will believe it if they come back and say methane explosion. And I've been to the big meteor crater in Arizona and that didn't look anything like this either.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
how deep is the water in the hole?

and if something did come out of it, it doesn't seem to have been buried all that deep, given the amount of dirt it pushed out.

fascinating.

edit on 31473971031pm2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954>>> You'd think they'd just send down a drone for video reconnaissance. There looked to be some circular lakes nearby that could be ancient filled in craters. But the surrounding land looked pretty uniformly flat. And it just doesn't look like an impact crater.
If a huge amount of earth was removed or destroyed, how was it done and why?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

...I know I'm not the only one thinking this!

Seriously though- I thinking the melting ice/methane release and cryovolcano are pretty good theories. Looking forward to them getting some stable inner pictures!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Looks like a meteor hit the ground (hence the normal crater rim) but did so over a cave.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Another perspective;

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I wouldn't discount gases bubbling up, I keep envisioning something akin to a dirt zip popping. Some ejecta over the edges, and the rest sinks.
I'm looking forward to better video, an RC unit might be optimal for them. Very cool looking formation no matter how you cut it

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
Actually, it just dawned on me that we might have found the largest ant hill ever.

edit on 7/19/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Perhaps it is a huge sand worm like the ones from the book dune.

Its weird, it has an almost burned crusty edge, a frozen lake at the bottom? Thats just all sorts of weird.

Can earth really spontaneously cave in like that? Perhaps a small meteor happened to hit a soft area above the lake and it was simple chance.

edit on b2121525 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join