It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Get First Look Inside Mysterious Siberian Crater

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Apparently Russian scientists got their first look inside it's 70 meters deep and they found a large icy lake at the bottom.

Russian scientists got their first look inside the mysterious crater in Yamal, Siberia on Wednesday, July 16, while the Siberian Times took a helicopter ride to get another look down into the hole.
Read more at www.iflscience.com...

www.iflscience.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Wow! I wonder if it freeze-thawed its way down? Unfreezes during daytime, freezes at night. Every time the water unfroze, the water would seep into cracks. When it froze it would expand and crack open more layers of earth?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I really don't know what to make of this in general. So far the given list of possible explanations doesn't satisfy me. Thanks for posting this... I liked being able to see inside the mystery crater.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Alright this is too weird now. The sides look like something perfectly symmetrical blasted upward. Does anyone else think this is really weird? I don't know much about permafrost but what kind of reaction or action caused by that would result in such a perfect hole that is so "clean" looking in terms of how it is shaped + the ejected material? Hoping to learn more because I just don't have anything rational popping in my head on what could have caused this.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953

Agreed the list of explanations has me really wondering... something just isn't adding up.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954#
Interesting, but could someone tell the person holding the camera to POINT IT AT THE HOLE!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: robbystarbuck

I'm not necessarily going to the alien or unexplainable route. I think there is a logical explanation for the crater, but none that have been put forth so far seem very likely. Hopefully we'll know more soon....

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Okay. I'm no longer of the opinion that a methane explosion is the source. I'm going with giant prehistoric worm-like creature or an abandoned sarlac pit.

In all seriousness between the water, the smooth sides and the patterns of erosion make it look like some sort of cave carved out by melting permafrost... except for the ejecta.
edit on 2014-7-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It does appear to have scrape marks going upward! Amazing footage. I hope they rope up and repel down at some point. Did anyone else notice splash/ wave action against the side? To me that indicates water surge from some place beneath the water line.

Des

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The only thing I can think of is a giant rocket launched from underground.

Seems irrational, but evidence says differently.

Actually, it just dawned on me that we might have found the largest ant hill ever.

Be on the lookout for a new Stephen King book.
edit on 7/18/2014 by TarzanBeta because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: robbystarbuck
a reply to: Osiris1953

Agreed the list of explanations has me really wondering... something just isn't adding up.

Look at the smoothness of the sides and the vertical striations as well as the fairly uniform ejecta around the edges, no flow downhill towards that little lake and no scorching. Something pushed its way up and out and it either left or dissipated. Whether that is a mechanical object or a large gas bubble, hmmmm? Gas bubbles don't make striations or smooth walls. A liquid would have flowed to the lowest point but there is no evidence of flow. Explosions leave scorching/fires but there is no damage to the surrounding exterior or interior of the hole.

To me it looks like something mechanical was buried, activated, moved vertical slowly, accelerated and then left. Because of the spherical shape, could have been a ship of some kind. Already discussed this in the first thread.

When all the possible and non-probable solutions are proven wrong, only the impossible remains which might actually be the answer ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/18.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
well that's most mysterious and super-interesting. the sides look so smooth, like a giant cookie-cutter was pushed through. i eagerly await further developments.

also the land to one side looks as if something may have created a trail through the grass, or flattened it out, leading up to the crater. sort of. files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on R2014th2014-07-18T17:10:29-05:0020140pm1984 by RoScoLaz4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: robbystarbuck

Could it be an ancient porthole leading inner earth ? Maybe the hole was already there but covered up and then uncovered by a methane gas explosion ?

Just a thought experiment added to a little wild imagination.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle Yes the smoothness of the sides and the material blown out... X-Files.

edit on 18-7-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That's EXACTLY what it looks like. I really don't want to jump to the looniest sounding thing but honestly it fits best that something mechanical caused this when you look at the sides, shape, etc. Something from down there came UP. That's how it appears anyhow but likely even if that's the case we'll never hear what really happened. So many possibilities.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Graboid's are BACK. RUN

www.youtube.com...

edit on 18-7-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yes none of the others that were odd in their smoothness has the debris around the edges. It is very impact like.

The one under the woman's bed is totally weird too though as the tiles look cut.
www.myfoxphoenix.com...

edit on 18-7-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Antoniastar

What's crazy is the weird answers sound more logical with this thing... Which is rarely the case!

link   

I'm pretty sure that is the area we buried Megatron... Looks like he found his way out of the whole and is set to destroy our planet...

But seriously, I get there is likely some natural explanation for this, but I can't help but imagine a bunch of "what ifs" here....

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954
a reply to: bobs_uruncle Yes the smoothness of the sides and the material blown out... X-Files.

Looks like something dark in the water wish there was better pictures, wonder if they will go in!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join