It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Obama calls for immediate ceasefire in Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
NY Daily News - Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Obama calls for immediate ceasefire in Ukraine

President Obama said the world must hold Russia to their word in the aftermath of the attack on the Malaysian Airlines jet, suggesting pro-Russian separatists could be responsible for shooting down the jet over Ukraine on Thursday killing all 298 people on board.

The President called the crash an “outrage of unspeakable proportions,” echoing international calls for a credible investigation.
“The eyes of the world are on eastern Ukraine, and we are going to make sure that the truth is out,” Obama said in a White House press conference Friday, confirming intelligence reports the airliner was shot down by a surface-to-air missile in an area controlled by Russian-backed separatists.

"A group of separatists can't shoot down military transport planes or, they claim, fighter jets, without sophisticated military equipment, and that comes from Russia," he said.

The “innocent lives” taken, “had nothing to do with the crisis in Ukraine,” he said, revealing that one American citizen, Quinn Lucas Schansman, was among those killed on the plane.

The President weighs in and he's ascribing blame to the pro-Russian separatists but falls JUST short of blaming Putin and the Russians directly.
edit on 2014-7-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Like I stated in an early thread, Obama wanted to make sure there were american lives lost before he could condemn and keep the war drums beating.

Meanwhile Israel is free to liberate the Jews. They love it when a plan comes together.
edit on 18-7-2014 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
its going to be bumpy ...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Since when does what Obama says have anything to do with what he plans to do?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
“The eyes of the world are on eastern Ukraine, and we are going to make sure that the truth is out,”

Sure you are Mr.Obaahma.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Since when does what Obama says have anything to do with what he plans to do?

originally posted by: Fisherr
“The eyes of the world are on eastern Ukraine, and we are going to make sure that the truth is out,”

Sure you are Mr.Obaahma.

So are you two disagreeing with the assessment or are you just not sure the President will follow through?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
I am saying that we could make book on the fact that he will not follow through.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think Obama has proven he is not about acting irrational. That is on both sides of the fence. He was cautious in Syria not wanting to start a war but he was also cautious about letting terrorists out of military prisons. I am not trying to prop the man up, I still don't like him but I don't think that we should assume that just because Israel, oops I meant Russian Ukrainians, have presented Obama with an opportunity, he is going to act on it.

And Mccain should STFU before someone sticks that freek back the hole he was pulled out of.
edit on 18-7-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The President weighs in and he's ascribing blame to the pro-Russian separatists but falls JUST short of blaming Putin and the Russians directly.

Of course he is, but did he include the fact that only the Ukranians have the missile technology that is required.

What a pathetic hipocrite.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

So are you two disagreeing with the assessment or are you just not sure the President will follow through?

Um.

What "assessment" ?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
"Obama calls for immediate ceasefire in Ukraine"

....or what?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Fancy that! Between golfing, vacations, and attending fund raising parties...his WH handlers managed to snag him to *read* a brief statement. They made him take off his Fundraiser in Chief hat, and plop his dusty Commander in Chief hat on for a much needed *Yes, I am the President* photo op.

He is the laughing stock of the International community. As if, anyone is going to take anything he says seriously. With the past 6 years of decimating our military...I guess he thinks threatening sanctioning, and closing bank accounts is going to scare them.

Des

edit on 18-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

(post by Mamatus removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Quickly devolves into a thread about hating Obama, nice. Guess that explains the conservative love affair with Putin.

I suppose we could dig up Ronald Reagan, figure out how to reanimate his corpse and let neocon mouthpiece Zombie Ronald Reagan call out Russia.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mamatus

Where is Obama. Not consoling the Families of this horrible event yesterday. oops...he was having a burger at a burger joint and glad handing. He should have been back on the job, letting those poor Families know, he's doing everything he can with the power of his office, to find answers for them.

No, he's treating those Families, in so much pain, just like he treats our Vets. So don't give me grief because I'm ashamed of my own President.

Des

edit on 18-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: Mamatus

Where is Obama consoling the Families of this horrible even yesterday. oops...he was having a burger at a burger joint and glad handing. He should have been back on the job, letting those poor Families know, he's doing everything he can with the power of his office, to find answers for them.

No, he's treating those Families in so much pain, just like he treats our Vets. So don't give me grief because I'm ashamed of my own President.

Des

Your shame started as soon as he was elected though didn't it? Just saying. Clinton did more second term campaigning and Bush nearly as much.

oh and as for the vacation bit:

Politifact - Who vacationed more, Bush or Obama?

edit on 2014-7-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
"Obama calls for immediate ceasefire in Ukraine"

....or what?

Or he'll cwy?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
We, the U.S., won't do a damn thing. Putin couldn't care less about the few sanctions we have or will impose on Russia.

The Ukraine is on it's own. Does anybody believe the U.S. or NATO will do anything as crazy as military intervention against Russia on behalf of Ukraine?

I don't think so but three days ago I didn't think a commercial airliner would be shot down.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

I don't think so but three days ago I didn't think a commercial airliner would be shot down.

Right and so don't think that the deaths of 298 civilians from 9 countries are going to shift opinion a bit?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Right and so don't think that the deaths of 298 civilians from 9 countries are going to shift opinion a bit?

Of course but I maintain that military options are off the table.

I think it was an accident. In no way am I justifying what occurred but I fail to believe it was an intentional action. How would anybody gain by shooting down a commercial airliner?

Obviously it's quite the opposite.

edit on 18-7-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join