It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six years after Vince Li beheaded a Greyhound passenger, another death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Six years after Vince Li beheaded a Greyhound passenger, another death: Mountie at the scene commits suicide
news.nationalpost.com...

One of the Mounties who responded to the 2008 Manitoba bus beheading committed suicide on the weekend after years of suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

“It was a very rapid decline in the last six months … he sent text messages like, ‘I think I’m too broken to ever be fixed,’ and he would also say, ‘I wish I had cancer because then people would understand,’ ” Wendy Walder, sister of Cpl. Ken Barker, told the Winnipeg Free Press Thursday.

The 51-year-old member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is among 13 first responders who have killed themselves in the past 10 weeks, says the Tema Conter Memorial Trust, a group working to end the stigma of PTSD.
“He was the 11th, but we have had two additional [suicides] overnight and the number’s up to 13 now,” said Vince Savoia, the trust’s spokesman.

In earlier comments to Global News, he called it “a national tragedy.”
------

The act of terrorism truly is awful...the side effects of witnessing something like this is similar to PTSD from witnessing a war scene....my condolences to his family.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Holy hell, that must have been one utterly disgusting crime scene!!

Some jobs just arnt worth the pay and the pain - not everybody can do anything.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

Agreed. Good lord, how bad was it?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I think for our own safety we never find that out. If a police officer (and not a newbie) gets PTSD for 6 years and kills himself over it, im perfectly fine never knowing.

edit on b03031038 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I was traumatized by that story and was nowhere near that scene. It is difficult to deal with something that far surpasses what your brain cannot comprehend in any way. That lad's mother must be made of pure steel. As for how Mr. Lee can be let out in public again, I have lost faith in those who make such decisions. RIP to all involved.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Jesus. Pretty gruesome. Here you go. WARNING: Obviously graphic details.

Killing of Tim Mclean

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think ppl need to be talking more about how after 6 years 13 ppl have committed suicide in the span of 10 weeks.

Talking points:

- how can it be coincidence? 13 ppl kill themselves in a short period of time, all linked to a six year old event.

- Quality of PTSD treatment not given to ppl following traumatic events? No one wants to spend the money.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
He clearly had a predisposition. Just like in war, it's frequently the non combat soldiers who claim the worst post traumatic stress. Not lessening the tragedy or burden he carried but some people are equipped to handle more than others.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
11 suicides, then the number is 13. These are illuminati numbers so I call this murder, whether or not its done out and out or by threats to family or targetting with frequencies, to me this is murder. So, some kind of threats being put in the public to police with a heart that don't follow their plan to traumatize the public? I speak out on thoughts that come like this, certainly not to overburden these officer's families or friends, because such sadness that those with conscience and hearts are taken over the edge. And well aware that they may not have been helped over the edge by NWO agents, this is only a possibility. It may just be media that they emphasize 11 and 13 without even a 12 spoken, just because they're dark hat religious in their focus.. So I speak up to shake the tree a little, the whole thing was horribly traumatic, didn't even want kids on the bus for any reason, and it makes you question everyone around you, are they an agent for some agenda, especially if they're foreign.

But I do believe there is an agenda behind it, and conscience/sensitivity/goodness is not rewarded in their political plans.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

EMS first responders don't really have a long career, usually it just takes once for you to come across someone you know or a person that resembles someone you know. At that point it can shake you to your core and you want to do anything else. It is usually brought up when you first start training, it's pretty common knowledge.

Here is a link that talks about the issue and throws some numbers around.
face-the-fire-burnout-and-ems-2

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It seems to me that there is MUCH more to this story than is being told.
They say he is one of 13 first responders who have killed themselves in the last week, so we draw the conclusion that ALL of them were at this gruesome event. It doesn't say that! It's just implied-maybe by deliberate omission.

Statistically, I think the odds of 13 first responders committing suicide- 6 years after an event- because of PTSD are astronomical.
I couldn't help but remember the events in Florida where a naked man started eating the face off of another person. That was blamed on the bath salts 'Spice'. The official story never did seem credible to me.

Call me crazy if you like, but I am seeing a pattern of perfecting mind control.
Could these first responders have been guinea pigs? Did they know too much? Is it possible suppressed memories begin to surface after a number of years, requiring that the subject be eliminated?

None of the random acts of gruesome violence of mass killings seem 'natural' to me. Not saying a government would use random humans to experiment on/with, or that anyone could be that truly evil, or that governments would deliberately lie to citizens, but........

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Use PTSD against THEM not one's self. The difficult task of monitoring depressive thought is never easy but it WILL keep you alive.
It's the system's fault anyway.
edit on 18-7-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I don't understand, on mentally ill person takes the head off a guy and ...

13 first responders who have killed themselves in the past 10 weeks

AFTER 6 years...I call that strange.

Murders with rape and torture, scenes too horrific to be envisioned by us are seen by these guys, one mental patient beheading someone and cannibalizing the body (how much could he do in that time) caused this? Horrific yes but compared to years of violent crime?

I don't get it.

edit on 18-7-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Sounds like possession.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence, Hanon will say, but what a strange one. A few hours later, when Li is arrested, police will find pieces of McLean’s flesh in a plastic bag in his pocket, including parts of McLean’s nose and ear and at the end of the first week in August, Nathan Carlson will tell Hanon he is still having trouble sleeping. "Ever since it happened, I haven't been able to get it out of my head," Carlson says haltingly. "I just don't know what to think of it, quite frankly.”

The Windigo story dates back to the late 1800s but continues into the early 1900s when Windigo "encounters" haunted communities across northern Alberta and apparently resulted in dozens of gruesome deaths.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Nowhere in the article does it say, or even imply, that any of the 13 first responders other than RCMP Cpl Barker was involved in the Greyhound beheading in Manitoba.

The two most recent suicides were a police woman in Levis Quebec and a policeman in Ontario.

The death of the RCMP corporal was an opportunity raise awareness of the fact that many EMS techs, firemen, and police officers suffer from PTSD and not just military personnel.

As for it occurring 6 years after the event in Manitoba, PTSD is a long term problem that can both decrease or increase in severity over time. Sen. Romeo Dallaire, the former commander of the Rwanda UN mission, still suffers from PTSD 20 years after the events of that genocide.
edit on 18/7/14 by erwalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: erwalker

Agreed. Look at molestation victims, that lasts a life time.

I would say that its not hard to get over it, but ive not experienced that stuff and i cant possibly know what they are dealing with.

A grown man seeing something like that Mountie did? Yeah, im glad i dont work in that field, for EMT a man bleeding out due to some terrible car wreck seems infinitely easier than seeing some guy chopped up and eaten by some psycho.

Those guys have iron stomachs, seriously.

edit on b1616341 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
While I feel for this guys family and find it frustrating that people need to beg for psychological help, ( as opposed to having cancer) I can't help but think some of this trauma resulted from the extreme long time the police, obviously in shock themselves, allowed Vince Li to continue cannibalizing etc.

Compare this to the trigger happy police that fired multiple shots into an erratic teen on a bus without even a word to talk him down (Toronto if I remember right)

Most Canadians were shocked at the greyhound killing but baffled at the police response... they had a window of opportunity to act and didn't... too late for the victim but could have shortened the torture for the other passengers at the side of the road and themselves in the conflict. I do realize nobody can be trained for this situation but holy hell do something if he's eating someones face its like a rabid dog... no rehabilitation there.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I agree...coming across a grisly crime scene like that would burn an awful memory that is just hard to forget.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: erwalker

We don't know how many of those officers on scene received psychological help after the event. If they did, some were able to cope well but we don't know when, or if the memory of the scene, will come up again and the officers will become severely traumatized once again (and also commit suicide?)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I am an EMT and none of its easy. Ride with us for a couple HOURS...let alone a week or year or TEN years. Then let me know how well you sleep!

Ive seen and heard things in person you all only get in horror flicks when you close your eyes through it. Would you like some descriptions? Gunshots? Car wrecks? Suicides? Babies?

How about screams for help while dying? Babies screams from severe burns? Whats your pleasure? PSTD? It happens...surprise surprise.

MS
ADLS
Advanced Disaster Life Support
EMT/ERT

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: because I could.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join