It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know what a terrorist is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
That is the question. For me it's a word that's been tossed around freely like a Frisbee in a park ever since the Bush admins response to the September 11 attacks. Before that day the word barely even registered in some peoples lexicon but now it's used to as a term to describe anybody and everybody who commits an atrocity.

Before you go rushing of to Wikipedia or the dictionary to provide me with an answer, think for yourself. Was the Nazi regime ever considered terrorists? No- they were considered fascists. Was the Khmer Rogue ever considered terrorists? No-they were considered a dictatorship. Were the Columbine shooters ever considered terrorists? No-the were considered mass murderers, And you can bet that there are far more examples of terrorism throughout the ages that are known to us but have not been described as such.

So why now? To some it might appear the term is only applied to the 'enemies' of the west. Radical Islamists are terrorists, Russian rebels are terrorists, etc. But who isn't a terrorist nowadays? I have my own theory on the subject but it would take another thread to describe it.

I am in no way condoning the actions of what I call 'criminals' but it seems that the popular trend is to liken terrorists to men with beards or beliefs that don't subscribe to our own. Sure the violent actions of some cannot be tolerated, by why is it now that we have this blanket term to describe all the miscreants? When someone holds up a liquor store in L.A that terrorizes the customers and the cashier, that's an armed robbery. But if that were to happen in another country under different circumstances, that could be considered an act of terrorism.

My own personal definition is 'any person or faction that overtly or covertly keeps the citizens in a state of fear or terror.' and honestly that can be applied to a number of nations around the planet.

As always, it's up to you to decide for yourself.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
By definition a terrorist is someone who attempts to make a change in ruling systems by physical means (tho, remember country differences),
or in other words "someone who does not accept voting to be his only choice of what is enforced upon him".

By the media spread image it's a TV bomber .

So the goal of this media image is to pass on laws against anyone who is not satisfied with voting, not satisfied being a slave of type A or B.
For example: more security (law enforcing / cameras) - because of "terrorists".

Or after even more removal of manipulative words / enrolling:
3 guys killing some people = people and machines looking at what 2 billion people do to know if they do something the rulers advertisement money givers don't like,
protecting the wealth (exponentially increasing) inheritors of the conquerors.
edit on 18-7-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
A terrorist is a person or group that tries to gain power through spreading fear so basically a republican.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Well, there is this.

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

But wait a sec...there is also this.

There is neither an academic nor an international legal consensus regarding the definition of the term terrorism.

I myself like to keep things simple. If some entity with political goals targets innocents with before hand knowledge, Taking over a Mall or Hotel, planting IED's in order to kill those who don't think like the other side, which has been a favorite tactic of terrorists way before the Middle East blew-up,then they are terrorists.

Every nation is guilty of it, some more so than others.

I could talk about this subject for hours but will keep it short and simple.

edit on 18-7-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its a buzz word of the times like homophobe, racist, liberal, conservative and mostly used on anybody that disagrees with this administration (the U.S. that is).

The word "terrorist" has been bastardized so much in the political agenda that it doesn't mean much of anything IMO.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
A terrorist is a person or group that tries to gain power through spreading fear so basically a republican.

LOL

The ultra-Progressives, the ultra-Left Wingers, the ultra-Fascists, do a better job at spreading fear.

The ultra-Liberal backed media is the culprit.

The Democrats are 100% responsible for the high crime, high poverty districts that always vote for Democrats.

All talk, no action. The problems are getting worse as they continue to spend more money on the problems.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

That's your opinion, I would differ with it though. BOTH sides of the US political parties play that game, of which PSYOP is a part of. Though these days they call it Marketing, Advertising and Information Operations.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

My own personal definition is 'any person or faction that overtly or covertly keeps the citizens in a state of fear or terror.' and honestly that can be applied to a number of nations around the planet.

That's how it's supposed to be, but in reality it's the opposite.
Why we hear more of this term being mention is from the fact, as I see it, that ordinary people start to more and more question the acts of the governments (the elites one), but those in power are using any means to stay in power, no matter what.
Sooner or later, clashes will erupt, and what our task is is to bring everyone responsible to justice.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The ultra-Progressives, the ultra-Left Wingers, the ultra-Fascists, do a better job at spreading fear.

The ultra-Liberal backed media is the culprit.

The Democrats are 100% responsible for the high crime, high poverty districts that always vote for Democrats.

All talk, no action. The problems are getting worse as they continue to spend more money on the problems.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why we can't have nice things.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
hmmmm that is easy

The rich and powerful that love to change the world to their benefits by what ever means possible.... Mostly imprisoning the working and middle class tax payers and taking their sons and now daughters to war for the sustainable war they long for since VN when I served.

2nd line the rich and powerful police force to beat down all and any resistance that will not kiss their ring.

When I first came to ATS I had members who were LEOs who assumed I was a criminal and I defended myself by saying never arrested worse problem too many speeding tickets. LOL cannot drive 55.... Got through Uni after the service which was long enough to clear my CDL! Got that company car etc.... quit after 6 years moved far away and do not see police on a regular basis. My PTSD has improve greatly. However the crimes against my fellow Americans have gotten far worse and much more public! Now its understood calling 911 on a family member could result in death.... consider, Hollywood, from moving suicide by cop movies to a family member to use local police to kill an unloved family member by pushing those 3 buttons 911.....

Many Leo's who tried to suggest I have lived an unhonourable life because of my attitudes and fear for the police (the rich man's army) are no longer posting here on ATS.... Point is my brothers and sisters are starting to realize what I learned whilst serving in the US Army... 2 Honour Discharges medal with a "V" device.... To many of my fellow veterans stories turned me. Marching in "The VN Vets Against the WAR"! protest marches taught me to fear the man, not criminal behaviour.

Just IMHO which is spreading like wild fire. BTW I love 70's music hate rap but that latest posting of a youtube hit "This is what happens when you call 911" is a hit in my books. :'( I miss my country - she got lost when she turned her back on me and fellow veterans... been going down hill ever since.......

BTW its not the Demos or the Republicans.... there is no such thing as a two party system here in the UK nor in the USA.... The rich are on both sides.... Wake up people this is the future :'( just saw a vid n posting here on ATS where a black man only crime was to break up a fight and accused of selling untaxed cigs... chocked to death by LEO hence no law enforcing just Rich Man's Army demanding all items to be taxed otherwise penalties of death and they do not fear the camera now..... in court the victims never get justice as the POLICE walk worse case scenarios paid holiday whilst an investigation is carried out!

Rich Man Army chocked the life from a suspected tax evader

OP SnF thanks for this posting as it will be interesting to read my fellow members perception!

edit on 7/18/2014 by IceHappy because: After reading another posting of murder by a leo had to add the para starting with BTW

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IceHappy

There are no Honor (I assume you mean "Honorable) Discharge medals in the United States Armed Forces. You get a piece of paper. Though I guess you could take a Sharpie and draw a "V" on it before framing.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Battleline
Its a buzz word of the times like homophobe, racist, liberal, conservative and mostly used on anybody that disagrees with this administration (the U.S. that is).

The word "terrorist" has been bastardized so much in the political agenda that it doesn't mean much of anything IMO.

I'm glad that you mentioned 'buzz word' because that immediately came to mind when I wrote this.

Politicians and the press like to use the T word for their own agenda, it's a means for both of them to stay relevant and distract the populace from other issues that could affect us. Why worry about domestic affairs when there are all those radicals abroad to worry about?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
They hold elected office and call themselves congressmen .. senators.. president .. prime minister .. etc ..
Related species : bankers.. lawyers.. religous leaders ..

All species are known to be dangerous and a threat to everyone ..

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Guess I thought you understand a "V" is a medal for valour and an Honourable discharge are two different things - both comes with paper btw in case you do not understand. For the record I own two Honorable discharge for those who do not know the first one is full colour the second is black and white.... Those who know are those who done more than one tour and served their masters!

Yes I spell English having escaped the US 31 years ago....

Have a nice day

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Thirty years served Sparky. Retired as well.

So you are saying that you xeroxed your discharge? They make color copiers now you know? That way you could have lots of pretty paper.

Think before you type is all I'm saying, there are those of us out here who love to detect posers.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

What would satisfy you that I am not a poser?

My point of my posting was to show I was not a criminal I served my country and Sorry OP this is way off topic!

Send me a PM and keep your personal attacks for someone else and stay on topic please. I never used my record until your brother LEOs suggested I lived a criminal life in past postings!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I've never been a LEO. I knew that with my temper, I would have been one of those you seem to hate. I don't need that stress in my life, and neither does the populace. I've always said, I don't have a short fuse temper, but rather a Det-Cord temper. It's that fast when some one gets my goat.

But I recognized my weakness and tried to direct it into a more constructive manner.

I've even been called a terrorist, baby-killer and worse. All without proof. They just saw the uniform and immediately, without reservation hated me. Not even knowing who I actually am.

I'm very familiar with terrorism. Having been exposed to it and on the occasion, doling out some of it myself.

BTW, I was just replying to your post. You derailed by going on a Rant. (There is a forum for that by the way)

edit on 18-7-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's not only confined to the T word, but also the WMD catch phrase. If it hurts more than two people, then it is a WMD. But to me a terrorist is a person who by force removes the liberties and freedoms of others. They use violence to remove others who do not think as they do. I am an independent, but lean more towards the conservative side. I don't think there is any separation of parties except when a camera is pointed at them. They make examples of people who are simply thugs so they can intimidate everyone else into compliance. But the day is coming when they will be facing a very angry public. How they choose to respond is going to dictate the outcome of that anger.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
"Terrorist is what a big army calls a little army."

- Wolverine

top topics

<<   2 >>

join