It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: NY man dies after police place him in chokehold for selling untaxed cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Wtf? A New York man is dead after cops placed him in chokehold for selling cigarettes. He can be heard telling them he cant breathe but since they are all above the law and never face any consequences they just went ahead and killed him.

A father of 6 and grandfather of 2 dead over cigarettes. We have got to start holding these damn cops responsible I swear they are worse then the damn criminals.

link

A Staten Island man died Thursday after police placed him in a chokehold as they attempted to arrest him for selling untaxed cigarettes.

According to authorities, Eric Garner, 43, went into cardiac arrest and died at Richmond University Medical Center following the arrest that was filmed by several witnesses, the New York Daily News reported.

I swear I would rather face a felon with a gun then the police.
edit on 18-7-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2014 by alienjuggalo because: spelling

eta

Wanted to add that witnesses said he was breaking up a fight not selling cigarettes and no cigarettes were found on him or in his car.
edit on 18-7-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Police brutality. Arrest that cop for murder.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I swear I would rather face a felon with a gun then the police.

I concur, at least the felon will most likely take my money and run off.... These "protectors" seem to enjoy killing us... very sad

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I don't assume that the cop putting the choke hold on the person wanted him dead.

The police departments need to revisit how people are secured during an arrest and would a simple summons be more appropriate than a physical arrest?

I know a few good cops so I still can't turn my back on them just as I cannot turn my back on different races for their reputations be they Italian, Black or Hispanic.

Poor judgement is part of who we are as human beings but as I mentioned, this all comes down to meaningful traing and supervision.

They are doing a job that a million other people take a test for each year so their job is not as amazing as some people would portray them to be.
edit on 18-7-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

There is no scenario which does not involve an absolute and unquestionable threat to an officers life, which can justify the application of a chokehold. There are myriad armlocks, wrist locks, grabs and holds that can be applied to control a suspects movements, without any actual risk of their sustaining a mortal injury, and to use any other hold during an arrest, without there having been a clear and present threat to an officer or member of the public, is disgraceful.

There are many types of hold that could be called a chokehold. All of them are extremely dangerous, and oddly the danger they represent goes UP the less experienced the person applying the hold happens to be. The reason for this is that to apply a choke hold or anything like one, is to cut off the oxygen supply to the brain, by way of restricting the airway, and putting pressure on the arteries in the neck. Doing this without rigorous training in safe application of the hold can have fatal or disabling consequences. Yes, putting someone in the right hold, for the precise amount of time necessary can render them safely unconscious. However, just too long, and that person might wake up paralysed, or mentally disabled, and just a bit longer than that, and they might end up dead.

The above scenarios work out that way when a person in the hold is young, healthy, and strong. Putting an older man in such a lock, unless it happens to be Jesse Ventura (and Christ help you if you try), is asking for a fatality. The fact that a choke hold was applied at all concerns me greatly, as this cannot be a legitimate take down method, except in the most outrageous and extraordinary circumstances.
edit on 18-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: Spelling corrections.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Reveneures. I don't know why that term ever died out. It's all they have been, all they are and all they'll ever be.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Where are the bloody tazers? Where is the defence/combat training? WTF?

They need to put a picture of these thugs on cigarette packets with the warning smoking can kill

Maybe people would stop smoking if they knew that they might get the crap beaten out of them, and die.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The headline speaks for itself.

Personally I think it's disgusting-governments all over the world keep these cancer sticks legalized to bring in revenue, but the moment it's bootlegged-you end up with stories just like this.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I don't assume that the cop putting the choke hold on the person wanted him dead

I don't assume he wanted him dead either. I just assume he did not give a shi_ if he killed him.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I bet nothing happens to the cop.

No news about any penalties will surface. Paid leave at worst.

Very slow to act to resolve the matter until it disappears.

Just more pig cops killing ppl, putting them in choke holds but if a person does it another person they can get shot for attempted murder there and then.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I don't assume that the cop putting the choke hold on the person wanted him dead

I don't assume he wanted him dead either. I just assume he did not give a shi_ if he killed him.

Exactly.

If someone gets hurt, oh well... DOUGHNUT TIME!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
He kept repeating "I can't breathe, I can't breathe" and he barely managed to get the words out.
There is no need for what happened, totally unjustifiable.

These cops are scum.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You lose your liberties so that you can be protected from terrorists...or is it the police? I'm not sure anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

This is not a case of police brutality! The officer never slammed his head into the ground, and didn't even keep him in the hold for long, just long enough to bring the man down. This is just a tragic death. Although 9 times out of 10 I agree with the OPs in this forum, this time I cannot. That officer followed sound procedures throughout the arrest. A head lock to bring someone down, then pinning their head to the ground is quite effective and normally safe. It is widely taught in self defense and in martial arts. Control their head and you control their body.

Arrest that cop for murder!
No, at best it would be involuntary man-slaughter.

Where are the tazers?!
Good one, use a tazer, then when ever someone dies from use of a tazer everyone gets all uppity and demands justice.

S*** happens...s*** just happens sometimes.

People need to remember that instead of yelling brutality in cases such as this. Save all the cackling for true police brutality cases, like the horrific ones that seem to be pouring in more and more frequently.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
jesus...

i swear to god working in NYC scares the sh!t outta me sometimes. the police really make it feel like it's a police state here. random stop&frisk, random bag searches at subway stops (saw one at mine this morning, the 2nd in 2 months).

i can just imagine being at the wrong place at the wrong time and something going terribly wrong.

incidents like the one mentioned by OP really sicken me and just make me wanna move out to rural nowhere where the god damned gestapo & big brother won't be waiting around every corner.

what will it take to break the camel's back? how many people have to be killed by law enforcement for something to change? what kind of catalyst will it take?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov
i swear to god working in NYC scares the sh!t outta me sometimes.

I work in one of the worst areas of NYC (Harlem) and have yet to be scared or intimidated by the police.

This man's death is unfortunate but at the same time, he was very large, belligerent and uncooperative.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I thought the "chokehold" was a violation of civil rights?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov
i swear to god working in NYC scares the sh!t outta me sometimes.

I work in one of the worst areas of NYC (Harlem) and have yet to be scared or intimidated by the police.

This man's death is unfortunate but at the same time, he was very large, belligerent and uncooperative.

When the hell did it become illegal to be very large, belligerent and uncooperative. It is not illegal to be uncooperative.

Again he had no smokes and none in his car and witnesses said he was breaking up a fight.

I don't have to do what a cop tells me just because he fkn told me to.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I don't assume that the cop putting the choke hold on the person wanted him dead.

The police departments need to revisit how people are secured during an arrest and would a simple summons be more appropriate than a physical arrest?

I know a few good cops so I still can't turn my back on them just as I cannot turn my back on different races for their reputations be they Italian, Black or Hispanic.

Poor judgement is part of who we are as human beings but as I mentioned, this all comes down to meaningful traing and supervision.

They are doing a job that a million other people take a test for each year so their job is not as amazing as some people would portray them to be.

Why did the mass of police jump on him in the first place? was he threatening with weapon or even fists? no...Murder in my book.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This is all I could really find on the topic.
Wiki chokehold

I believe that as long as the officer keeps the V of his arm in front of the person then it is fine. This prevents cutting off too much circulation or causing damage to their throat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join